Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Post a random pic thread

338K views 3K replies 141 participants last post by  Jakerin 
#1 ·
Like it states, I'll start.

See less See more
#2,341 ·
I thought it looked like one of those nasty weapons from the movie Battleship.

#2,351 ·
Yeah, they took a brand that had the top selling model car many years in a row, and redesigned everything to be young and European.

Their buyer demographic was too old and dying off. I guess they didn't think the people who were young would never get old or something?:hmm:

Hard to sustain a brand when you turn your back on and insult the people driving your product.

#2,353 ·
Sometimes brands "redefine" themselves. They turn their back to their previous loyal customers and go after a new group of customers. The disaster happens when a brand turns its back to its loyal customers, AND it fails to attract its new target demographic; this is what happened to Olds. On the other side, there are examples that this redefinition worked well. Cadillac is a good example. I know that you, and many other here, don't like what Cadillac has changed to be, however, the fact is that Cadillac, more or less, could attract its new target buyers and it is doing OK and it will survive.

#2,352 ·
I remember when GM announced that Oldsmobile would cease to exist, my neighbor, an attorney, was in shock. I would imagine that his shock and sorrow was multiplied by thousands when lawyers across America realized one of the symbols of their profession, and certainly "the car" of choice many in their legion was longer be available to buy. Yes the attorneys may have had a Mercedes at home for their wife to drive, but when it came to client interaction ...... only an Olds would do!

#2,356 ·
No.
My literal point was it would have been nice if Olds could have held out long enough to be bailed out along with all the other failing divisions of Government Motors.

My figurative point was, there is a way to move a brand forward, and modernize it, without extending the middle finger to all the loyal customers they already have.

#2,357 ·
I see your point. However, some say (but not necessarily my personal opinion) that GM had too many divisions, and keeping them all at the same time weren't financially a good idea. Therefore they had no option but to sacrifice a few of the divisions, presumably the weakest ones, and dedicate their available resources and funds to modernize the remaining divisions that have a better chance of survival. And there were rumors that they killed olds to keep funding Saturn. They thought Saturn brand can have a better future than olds! Well, it didn't go based on the plan!

#2,360 ·
A little copy and paste from wiki :D :

"The Saturn Corporation was an automobile manufacturer and brand, established on January 7, 1985 as a subsidiary of General Motorsin response to the success of Japanese automobile imports in the United States. "
I would say they were mimicking Toyota Corolla and Honda civic.

Again, I see what you are saying, and I partially agree with you. When a brand loses its heritage and what it stands for, and tries to be something different, it might not have a very good chance to survive.

#2,365 ·
Well buy garbage regardless of badging and that's what you get. Don't group a few crappy cars into an assumption that EVERY Olds is or was garbage...
I have owned and driven a lot of Oldsmobiles and most were of excellent quality. Old's 98's were top quality and frankly I had less issues with them than Cadillac's of the same era.

#2,364 ·
My last two new vehicle purchases were Oldsmobile; I didn't know what I was missing until I bought the first one. I bought a 2000 Olds Intrigue; my daughter finally traded it in last year at approx 140,000 miles still looking pretty good (it was a fine car). And currently an '04 Olds Bravada (I still drive), another fine vehicle; a cut above (IMO) the Trailblazer (Chevy) in style and interior amenities. Hardly "rebadged garbage", again, IMO.

#2,366 ·
My wife's 1999 Oldsmobile silhouette was leaps and bounds better than her current 2010 Chrysler Town & Country Limited. The T & C with 32,000 miles has been more trouble than the the Olds was over it's first 100,000 miles.

We should have just kept the Olds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.