Post a Random Pic Thread - Page 26
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 177 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 76 126 ... LastLast
Like Tree2009Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Post a Random Pic Thread in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Submariner409 That your rig ? Yea sir. Well company rig. But I'm responsible for her. I believe ...
    truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    That your rig ?
    Yea sir. Well company rig. But I'm responsible for her. I believe I'd just washed it before that picture.

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

Re: Post a Random Pic Thread

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    So long and thanks for all the Science.

iwannaracecar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Isn't that the USS Wisconsin doing a full broadside?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think it's the New Jersey. I seem to recall seeing that picture during the tour.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Whatever BB she is, there were 5+ Cadillac Devilles headed toward a target some 12 - 26 miles away. That's a 6-gun shot, and those 16" HE projectiles weighed a ton and a half apiece......... and with the latest guidance/targeting systems, deadly accurate.

Look closely at the number of fire/smoke plumes from each turret. Also notice that each center gun is slightly depressed.

Even today, we still need a battlewagon as the flagship for each Fleet.

That there would be the USS New Jersey!

----------

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Kid03 View Post
    That there would be the USS New Jersey!

----------

That's the Barksdale Wing Commander's bird, I think its a retrofitted H model with all the latest updates and the rear gunner up front: A/C# 60-0008. I was in charge of the electronics retrofit on that bird in 1996.

Although the old girl is only a year younger than I am, she's been totally rebuilt 4 times. For those not familiar with Depot Maintenance, we take everything apart, strip the skin to bare metal, gut all the wiring, Take the engines off and tear them down completely; even replace sections of the skin and fuselage, if needed. Its the "Frame-Off Restoration" of Aircraft Maintenance.

Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 165.6MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

Wow that's amazing Gizmo how big are they really? There are some cool old timers on here haha just kidding. Here's another photo!

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Most of our guys who were killed were shot down while on RDF and other SIGINT missions. We lost several who were shot down in Cambodia prior to the US invasion. This was one of our "Left Bank" Hugheys. "Radio Research" (cover name for Army Security Agency in Vietnam) had a few "Left Bank" units attached to US army divisions, they were task with identifying enemy positions for targeting by "Arc Lights," naval bombardment, artillery targeting and Navy and Air Force bombing runs. According to military histories of the Vietnam were, after 1968, the "Project Left Bank" units were responsible for over 80% of the intelligence used in interdicting and destroying enemy forces and supplies. Of course with out the work of all the other naval and military units, our work would have been in vain.

Attachment 101360

Attachment 101361

For those of us who served in Vietnam, it was the only time our work involved "real" tactical intelligence. For most of our time in the ASA we were working on strategic intelligence problems for customers, both civilian and military.

Thank you orconn and all service members for keeping this Country safe! Great story by the way i love hearing old Nam story's and any Military ones.

While at our headquarters a Phu Bai in 1968 I was task (along with other duties), with seeking any information concerning POW's or KIA's who were being held in Cambodia or Laos, by either enemy forces or by friendly parties. In 1968 the US had no overt operations in these countries (later we would invade Cambodia). Any Americans in those countries in 1968 and before were their on covert operations, those operations were highly classified and even my work in trying to detect their status (KIA or POW) was very highly classified (codeword - compartmented). In this capacity I only worked with NSA personnel on sight and at Fort Meade. Army personnale did not have "need to know" clearance for any of this information. I am sad to say that I never saw any indication of surviving MIA's in those countres. All detected were KIA.

It is interesting (maybe) to note that until recently I would not be able to mention any of the above to anyone outside NSA. About 12 years ago the curtain of secrecy that had enveloped NSA and its military affiliates began to come down and today you will find many books and even television shows disclosing terms (like Sigint, Comint, Elint, Humint, secret codeword and discussions of code breaking) that were considered "Top Secret Codeword" in my day and for twenty years after my day. Back in those days NSA was called, by those who even knew it existed, "No Such Agency!"

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

NSA and NIS (as well as a few other cloudy operations) were staffed by Spooks and Rareys.

In USS SKIPJACK many of our "temporary assignment" Radiomen and "Electronics Technicians" spoke several dialects of fluent Russian ...........

What was the little-known shady "airline" operated by the U.S. in SE Asia ??

Yup, Sub, I am sure your had tdy's from the NSG guys. One of the nuclear subs was involved in the tapping of a Soviet undersea cable that allowed eaves dropping on their communications (before one of our American traitors clued the Ruskaya into what was going on).

At the various stations where I was posted we usually had a contingent from NSG (Naval Security Group) and AFSS (Air Force Security Service) who pursued their areas of interest. In Africa the NSG guys manned a lonely intercept station way out in the boonies from the main post at Kagnew Station. I always felt sorry for those guys because as isolated as they were I thought that assignment was worse than sea duty. At least on a ship at sea you didn't have to worry about stepping outside, night or day, and being attacked by a lion or hyena, not to mention a baboon!

The guys (spooks) from the different services, at least the analysts, did not socialize and pretty much kept to themselves. Not because we were told to, but because of the small compartmented groups we worked in and the hours we worked didn't make for a lot of getting to know each other.

As far as the "shady" airline you refer to, that was Air America, run by the CIA and known among us passengers as "Scare America!." After hijacking became a problem in the 1960's we used Scare America a lot for our intra-theater transportation. Scare America ran pretty much regular flights around our installations in the Pacific Theater. Of course they flew other kinds of missions in their clapped out DC-4's and 6's. After I left the NSA I ran into some former Scare America pilots who always had some good stories to tell!

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.