Post a Random Pic Thread - Page 117
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 171 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 167 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 2564
Like Tree1941Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Post a Random Pic Thread in General Discussion; That's pretty damn crazy that one boat can completely annihilate that many people. I always thought nuclear war would be ...
    Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Re: Post a Random Pic Thread

That's pretty damn crazy that one boat can completely annihilate that many people. I always thought nuclear war would be the end of civilization as we know it, but at that rate, if all 18 Ohio class boats emptied their missiles, it would be an end to life on earth, maybe bacteria would survive. The nuclear winter would be so horrific that what wasn't killed in the blast or from radiation would freeze to death.

Well hopefully we never have a rogue Captain as portrayed in Crimson Tide. Its an interesting premise that led me to watch that turd of a movie. As usual, it was 100% fake hollywood bullshit. I think they did have an ex Navy man who served on an Ohio class boat, but they just kind of ignored what he said in most parts of the movie to make it work into the script they had.

BTW, what's your opinion of "The Hunt for Red October"? Its been A LONG time since I saw that movie, but I remember Marko Ramius(Sean Connery, the traitor Russian sub captain) to be a much more interesting and VERY complex character, so much in that I wasn't completely wrapped up in the technical details of that movie.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

"Hunt ..............." was a fun - if somewhat romantic - look at If, How, Maybe, Why there could be a maverick boat/crew. (Actually impossible). Yes, we did some weird, fun, scary, crazy, complicated stuff during the "Let's watch the Russians while they watch us watch them !" years, but most of it would not make Hollywood: Too serious and not as fanciful.

FWIW, I was pretty well acquainted with Tom Clancy - during my single-man Navy time in Annapolis (Naval Academy, '79 - '82) and for a while thereafter I frequented several local establishments for food and refreshments. Two of them - McGarvey's and Marmaduke's - were Clancy's favorite hangouts. We went through quite a bit of scotch and bourbon, telling sea stories. He was a pretty nice guy, researched the doo-doo out of his work, and could make a glorious mountain out of a tiny molehill story.

Horrible pictures and Polaroid scans - but here's a pair - one of Myles Davis and me (right) in SKIPJACK very close to (300 feet down) the North Pole in the summer of '63 and one of me in my office at USNA during the period discussed above. 17 year spread in 2 pictures - time flies when you're having fun.

You want to read some of the real thing ? Find "Blind Man's Bluff" and "Thunder Below". Fairly modern and WW-II submarine warfare fact - not fiction. Some of the stuff we did in SKIPJACK is in Blind Man's Bluff and the author of Thunder Below- Adm. Gene Fluckey - was one of the men that interested me in submarines in 1945 - he was a classmate of an uncle and submariner: my mother's sister's husband - Wm R Boose, Cdr, USN.
    ben.gators and CadillacLuke24 like this.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor
    Good stuff Sub.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Sub, maybe you could re-post the link to the sub virtual tour for some of the new guys. I know we all enjoyed it the first time!

Great photos and great memories/stories.

Here it is - PAMPANITO (SS383) was the same class of boat as my first diesel boat - USS HARDHEAD (SS365). 1959. My second boat - USS PIPER (SS409) - is my avatar. These monument subs are maintained by volunteers - no government money involved. It's a lot of work.

Follow the instructions in the home page - you can scroll 360 degrees and anywhere up/down in any compartment. My bunk was the top left one right next to the after torpedo room escape trunk, looking forward toward the Maneuvering Room watertight door. Tight living.

http://www.maritime.org/tour/index.php

How does that compare in size to the USS Cobia?

That is up here in Manitowoc WI, and I have been through it. Amazingly close quarters! I don't know how you guys could do it, and be gone so long at a time!

COBIA was the 245 boat - much earlier, same size, same cramped conditions, very similar equipment - they were all overhauled and upgraded several times during and after WW-II. Most diesels were out of commission by the mid-70's.

My uncle Bill's last sub command, USS RAZORBACK (SS394) became a floating monument in N. Little Rock a couple of years ago. The SubVets bought her back - and raised the money to have her towed - from the Turks ...... from Turkey ! I think my old boat - PIPER - was a reserve boat in Detroit for a while.

Manitowoc, Wisconsin - Yes, subs were built there during the war. The conning tower/periscopes/antennae were not installed - laid on deck - and the whole mess was towed down the Mississippi for final assembly in Gulf Coast yards.

When I went on active duty in '58 I was 6' 2 1/2" tall - needed a special waiver for height - and my skull still bears the knots and scars to prove it.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I was going to ask about that, Sub. I would think that height would be a consideration for submariners, just as it is for fighter pilots.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Height is a consideration everywhere in the Navy unless you are on land. I never had an appreciation for the Infantry until I toured the U.S.S. New Jersey last year. As big as that SOB is, at 6'2'' I was constantly ducking and bent over. At the end of the tour I remember looking at my former CO and telling him the Infantry never looked so good. Thanks, but no thanks.

P.S.
    The virtual "tour" is impressive the way you can maneuver the camera. Amazing the things they can do with computers. As Kelly Bundy would say, "It wobbles the mind".
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Height is a consideration everywhere in the Navy unless you are on land. I never had an appreciation for the Infantry until I toured the U.S.S. New Jersey last year. As big as that SOB is, at 6'2'' I was constantly ducking and bent over. At the end of the tour I remember looking at my former CO and telling him the Infantry never looked so good. Thanks, but no thanks.
    My b.f. is 6'4"+ he hit his head a couples time during our tour of the New Jersey so he was in a hurry for it to end lol
    It was still awesome we did the private tour for a couple bucks more where we had an actual tour guide that served in the Navy on the New Jersey.

I highly recommend the tour to anyone near Jersey.

The USS Ling is docked a couple blocks away from my house. Looks just like Submariner's sub^.

CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    we did the private tour for a couple bucks more where we had an actual tour guide that served in the Navy on the New Jersey.

I highly recommend the tour to anyone near Jersey.
    I'll second that.

Not sure which boat it was, but one of the "monument" boats recently lit off one of the Fairbanks diesels (same engines as PAMPANITO) for the first time in 46 years. Ran it for a half hour. They're working on lighting off the other 3. Each diesel (4) turns a huge generator - not a propeller. Constant speed - the generators feed HUGE battery banks and/or low speed (0 - 250 rpm) main motors wound on each propeller shaft. Voltage and amperage are controlled in the Maneuvering Room depending on boat speed rung up and battery charge or float requirements. Up to 450 volts and 8,000 Amperes. Those boats we've seen in this thread - all of them - could do over 21 knots on the surface and carried enough fuel oil to circle the globe - surfaced. Submerged, on the battery - a whole different story. Quiet and slow - maybe 8 knots max for a few hours - otherwise, 4 knots. A diesel "submarine" was a surface ship adapted to remain under water for some very finite period - 2 to 4 days maximum. A nuclear sub, on the other hand, only has to surface when the crew goes mad or runs out of food. Today's nuke boats will do incredible speeds underwater - SKIPJACK (built in 1958) was then "the fastest submarine in the world" - in excess of 40 knots, submerged. (that's 40 X 1.15 = knots) And we did it all the time. The planesmen literally "fly" these boats. Today's fast attacks blow that old speed record away.

One knot is 1.15 mph - it's not "knots per hour" - it's knots. Imagine 4,800 tons of submarine barrelling along at over 50 mph, 600 feet down.

1 nautical mile = 1 minute of latitude = 1/5400 of the distance from Equator to Pole. About 6066 feet.

Anyone get the impression that I enjoyed my 25 years of goofing off ??

CTSCHICK,
    Thanks for the pic. I knew men who served in LING in the early 60's. That's the original "fleet bow" on her. PIPER had a huge BQR-4 long-range SONAR bow, and the smooth reverse curve bows were the later GUPPY (Greater Underwater Propulsive Power Y) modified bows.
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

I agree that if you have a chance to crawl inside of one of these is is a day well spent.
    You will come away with a whole new respect for the men who manned them.

The Cobia has a virtual tour also, though no where near as techie, it is still cool. The Cobia in addition to tours also offers over-night stays on board. Very cool museum if you get to the area.

Link to virtual tour:http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/fil...tual-tour.html

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Wow. I wonder if there are any of these floating around (huehuehue sorry, terrible pun) near me here in Florida.

Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Wow. I wonder if there are any of these floating around (huehuehue sorry, terrible pun) near me here in Florida.

Awesome.
    http://www.ussalabama.com/uss_drum.php

http://www.aimm.museum/

Not too far away?!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.