Derelicts In Your Area - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Derelicts In Your Area in General Discussion; Originally Posted by orconn For those who may not know what the device above is, it is a collar clip ...
    77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Derelicts In Your Area

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    For those who may not know what the device above is, it is a collar clip used to secure the collar of a dress shirt around the knot of a tie. It supposedly kept the dress shirt collar from "flyaway wing syndrome." Button down collars and modern dress collar construction essentially made these devices an anachronism.
    Is that what it is? I thought it was a hair clip.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ Actually if you joined the suit wearing segment of the work force after the 1960's you probably wouldn't have come in contact with these devices. Those of us who dressed according to the conventions of the upper levels of the East Coast financial community (read real Brooks Brothers, not the cheaper lines that came along in the eighties) saw these clips linger on until the early eighties. In my case, thank God for button downs!

Attachment 96086

This a picture of how they were actually used!

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Yeah and the clips were the poor mans way, the nice collar bars actually went through a small hole in the collar of a custom made shirt. (one of the ends of the bar would unscrew)

Brooks-Brothers-Collar-Bar.jpg

There was also a large but very nice safety pin looking clip too.

----I'm a big fan of them, IMO, its a classy, under used accessory. Adds a personal touch with attention to detail!!!

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

The bars I recognize, not the clips. Dad wore the bars with his work uniform, back in the day....

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Just thought I'd join the new discussion.

^^^ Scottish grouse foot (claw) broach, worn as a decoration or jewelry by both men and women. the one pictured above is bereft of the white fur that usually cover the grouses foot during Winter. It is considered a "good luck" piece and is often given by a young lad to his sweetheart as a sign of his affection. Some think it is exclusively a kilt pin but this is not the case it can be worn as jewelry in many applications. I have forgotten the Celtic name for these pieces, Dullahan can probably enlighten us on the matter as well as any other folklore associated with the grouse claw!

I suppose you refer to the term "Mizpah" which was often engraved on them and before that, connected to them. This has it's origins in the bible and is used in times of need when someone is in need of being watched over by their god (or wishing this protection onto someone else)

They were traditionally worn in slightly different styles depending on whether they were being used as kilt pins or brooches for scarves or sashes. The main reason they fell from popularity as kilt pins is quite simply that the Irish, Scottish, Welsh and Cornish are all avid dancers and it is a part of our culture on a grand scale. The claws of these brooches are very talented at snagging the dress of one's dance partner when worn as a kilt pin.

The origin surrounding their use goes back to the hunting of the grouse itself and keeping the trophy as a sort of talisman of good fortune that one can wear on their person, which in practical Celtic tradition, meant it had to serve a purpose. This was done with parts from many animals and is where the traditional "Lucky Rabbit's Foot" which is the current favourite of this generation, came to be. They can and have been taken from all sorts of other animals, along with pelts, bones, claws and teeth, all of which are again very traditional of the Celts, each separate region becoming known for it's own use of different parts of different animals. Funny detail, humans were no exception. Most Irish battlements were adorned with the skulls of fallen soldiers, both enemies and allies and had details in their construction to accommodate this. The Irish were also fond of using Ravens and Snakes as emblems on flags, crests and shields, due to traditional religious and cultural meanings and it was not uncommon for raven's wings or claws to be touted or gifted in this fashion. I have more than a few such pieces of various animals attached permanently to several pieces of my attire, as well as the various brooches or chain fobs I may have on my person at any given time. Never been one for jewelry, but if I wore a necklace or bracelet or ring, I would imagine it would follow along with any of these trends.

On an unrelated note, while we are off topic anyway, what the hell is with these current advertisements on the Forum? I never minded advertisements before, but to include these new ones, which are videos that CANNOT BE STOPPED from playing and will continually loop over and over on every page you have open, silencing themselves only briefly if you choose to mute them, because they will return once they restart...such savage, hateful things.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

hmm... i haven't seen them ... i only see the banner ad at the top of the header and the ad cubes on the right

oh you're not a supporting member ... that explains it
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I have gone back and forth from being a supporting member and just making donations manually.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!

My neighbor has a Cow, a plastic Cow.

A plastic cow is better than a real cow!

Quote Originally Posted by orconn
    A plastic cow is better than a real cow!
    This is so true!

Reminds me of the opening chapters and character introductory in the book "Odd Thomas"

'Cept your neighbour's has not yet exploded.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

If you think that's a cow, do yourself a favor, if you see a real one like that, DON'T try to milk it.

I'm just saying....

(The farm boys out there will get that one!)
    Koooop, Koooop, 77CDV and 7 others like this.

I took that picture from a distance! I never even looked, that's funny.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.