Do you still use CDs? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Do you still use CDs? in General Discussion; I used to use CDs most of the time, but then I bought a h/u with a usb port, and ...
    Frances69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Do you still use CDs?

I used to use CDs most of the time, but then I bought a h/u with a usb port, and stuck 16gigs of music on there

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Certificates of Deposit?

In your car?

I am confused.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

I download once in a while, but typically more singles that I want for immediate gratification, rather than full albums. For a full album, I want the physical disc to rip.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

I have my CD case in the truck which is full, quite a few of the CDs copied onto my phone, all of them copied onto my computer for backup.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    My first CD was Bon Jovi's New Jersey.
    Bon Jovi....

Lulz!

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

I prefer Vinyl Albums, like any normal person does, but yeah, I still use CD's. I even pay for them, which is rare, because for the most part I do not normally pay for anything.

Vinyls are not usually played in/out of my car, but there have been times...

To be honest, I listen to my music off the iPod that's kept locked away in the glovebox and functions through the head unit for song/album/artist selection. This is, as far as I can see it, the only practical reason to own an iPod.

The CD feature in my stereo is therefore not used that often and the same disc tends to be kept in it for months at a time (Only recently took one out for something else)

I do however still have two 300 disc changers hooked up to the speaker system for the house, all hidden away neatly in the entertainment centre in my living room, because I am a classy bastard with well over 600 CDs.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Same here... my iPod is for road trip and outdoor activity use.

Nothing beats vinyl at home. It's nice to listen to an entire album from beginning to end.

I buy the CD when its an independent band or there's the possibility of a bonus DVD or video content, or if I really really like the artist and want the cover.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

What the hell? No love for 8-tracks?
    RightTurn and RightTurn like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentm

Bon Jovi....

Lulz!
    Followed by INXS' Kick and New Edition's Heart Break...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan
    I prefer Vinyl Albums, like any normal person does, but yeah, I still use CD's. I even pay for them, which is rare, because for the most part I do not normally pay for anything.

Vinyls are not usually played in/out of my car, but there have been times...

To be honest, I listen to my music off the iPod that's kept locked away in the glovebox and functions through the head unit for song/album/artist selection. This is, as far as I can see it, the only practical reason to own an iPod.

The CD feature in my stereo is therefore not used that often and the same disc tends to be kept in it for months at a time (Only recently took one out for something else)

I do however still have two 300 disc changers hooked up to the speaker system for the house, all hidden away neatly in the entertainment centre in my living room, because I am a classy bastard with well over 600 CDs.
    The iPod is great to use as a juke box. I usually don't play individual albums, but playlists only. And I almost never have CDs in my Town Car.

When I'm doing a single day trip in the V, I still like to bring my cases of CDs and listen to one album at a time. On those type of trips, I much rather get into a groove and like listening to entire albums over a mix on a playlist...

Many areas of New England I associate with memories of being there at a party or gathering or trip to the music played at that time. Going to Gray, Maine and areas around there, I like Blues Traveler. For Burlington, VT, I may listen to Beck, Radiohead or Live. I always think of Dre, Snoop Dog and the KLF when I'm cruising Hampton Beach. Etc...

jcresciSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)

I rarely listen to music at home and if I do its just off my laptop directly

In the car I burn MP3 cds, I occasionally will use my iPOD through the AUX but it just doesn't sound as good. No money or enough "need" to buy a double din with front USB. Only issue I have now is that my CD drive in the laptop took a crap last week and won't burn now

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
    What the hell? No love for 8-tracks?
    That's what the Lincoln is for. I actually went over this on a FB discussion over this same link.

Yeah, usually when I buy a CD, I tend to get it WITH the Vinyl as part of a collection (Same album, but the Vinyl version always comes with a CD to accompany it, in case you need it for a roadtrip or whatnot)

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Up until 6 months ago I was using CD's only because my old Droid Incredible was so slow at loading songs I would get frustrated. Now I use a Phillips cassette adapter and my iPhone exclusively and it's worked out great. As a note to some of you with cassette adapters who don't feel the sound quality is great... make sure the sound on the device itself (iPod, iPhone, Droid, etc.) is turned down. If you turn up the volume on the device it sounds like shit. My songs sound nearly CD-quality on my stereo, though I'm no audiophile.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

I'm a classical fan, especially vocal works (Palestrina, anyone?), so sitting and listening to a whole extended piece on CD is a natural thing for me. I can see where compact devices like ipods and the like would be very convenient for travelling, when space may be at a premium. CDs just aren't compact, despite their name.

I listen to all types of music. There is always some sort of ambiance playing in my house. Classical, Folk, Rock...Classic-Folk-Rock (Yes, that exists)...

For the most part I do not listen to country, rap or techno and "Dubstep" is in fact not music, just the sound of an electric razor thrown into a blender with a vague hint of Dialup whitenoise...but other than that, I listen to at least a little of everything

Because of this, the mood of my music can be very odd if left on random, with the thousands of different songs to choose from. I have a Lacky at work who plays a game where she tries to either make up a story out of the song titles on random (From anyone's collection) or to write a list of events for the movie based around their life and match them with whatever song comes up next on random. This is why I have her sit at a desk with a phone and some computer screens instead of someplace potentially dangerous.

I too associate certain music with places, or memories of them. It is kind of surreal to be someplace I have not been in six years, but used to frequent and have the car decide to play the same music connected to memories of this place on the stereo while passing through.
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

My Ipod rarely leaves the center console of the Challenger in the summer. There is a USB port in there, and I can contol it through the stereo. I will occasionally burn a CD from my laptop if I don't want to wait for all of my files to convert to Ipod format. And like most have said, I'll pick up a new CD if it's a band I really like, or if the album art really blows me away.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.