Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Thank you neighbor

9K views 91 replies 25 participants last post by  CadillacLuke24 
#1 ·
This will be a rant.

Besides my Seville, I have a '94 Acura Vigor. Pretty rare cars, and this one is a gem. All original, just hit 80K miles, unbelievable condition (3 tiny scratches in 18 years, that's it) I've had it stored in my aunts garage for the winter, I was at her house two days ago, we've been having good weather this week, so I figured I'd take it home for the night and play with it today.

So early yesterday morning, around 4:00 A.M., I come home and park next to my house in my private way (my Seville is in my "normal" spot). Between my house and the house directly across from me, there is room for two cars with room left over to open the doors (the picture is deceiving, but there's plenty of room. My mother used to park her '90 Grand Marquis there and a neighbor with an H2 could get by with no problem). My neighbor has to drive over his brick walkway to fit by, but this is normal, and never caused a problem.

Anyway, I come out of the house this afternoon, walk past the car, and saw something odd out of the corner of my eye. I look over at the car, and the entire length of the drivers side quarter panel is side swiped........ I felt sick to my stomach.

No note, nobody knocked on the door, no nothing. The paint left behind on the car is silver/light beige....the same color as my neighbors Highlander. Between that and the height of the damage, it had to be him. I didn't see him, his wife or the truck all day. His live-in friend is home, but (says) he doesn't know where they are.

I don't understand how someone could misjudge the gap between the cars THAT bad, cause some major damage, and not even have the decency to leave a note or number. Maybe there was an emergency and he left in a hurry, but by now he could have at least called his friend and had him give me his plate number, insurance information...anything. But no.

We'll see what happens tomorrow, if I don't see them, I guess I'll just call the police?

Pics:
http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m538/moistcabbage/Vigor/

See less See more
#5 ·
2. Move to a spacious suburb
Oh how I'd love to.

If they're not back by morning, I'll call the cops.

I'm not so much concerned with the car getting repaired, it just really sucks that the originality will be gone. That's one of the things that drew me to the car in the first place (and it took a loooong time to find one of these things in this condition).

#6 ·
Normally I'd say call the police, and try to get a picture of his car where it looks like hit you. Probably some of your paint on his bumper too.

BUT, since the event happened on private property, It's probably a 'no-fault' and claiming it on insurance will probably cost you since the damage is likely within your deductible. Probably a 'small claims' matter at this point. In any case, get pictures for the record.

I would say tread lightly whatever you do. Having a feud with someone is one thing, but having a feud with your neighbor is a b*tch because you cant get just walk away. And your house, cars, and all your stuff is right there unattended while you're at work! He knows he hit you and he knows he's gonna hear about it when he gets back, so he's probably got an excuse all cooked up and ready to go. Maybe he's been out getting the damage to his car covered up!

#14 ·
I would say tread lightly whatever you do. Having a feud with someone is one thing, but having a feud with your neighbor is a b*tch because you cant get just walk away. And your house, cars, and all your stuff is right there unattended while you're at work! He knows he hit you and he knows he's gonna hear about it when he gets back, so he's probably got an excuse all cooked up and ready to go. Maybe he's been out getting the damage to his car covered up!
The great thing about the situation you are describing, is that it works both ways assuming both residents are decent people. He will probably be just as worried about what you could do to his property, as the OP is about his. As long as the OP doesnt get hot under the collar when they finally get in contact with each other, this could be settled amicably... Again, assuming the neighbor is a relatively decent person.

----------

Wow, your Vigor is in great condition.
Its hardly a collector's car, so original condition isn't the end of the world.
I'm sure a good body man will make it perfect.

You're right about the rarity. Used to be, you could find a dozen or so Vigor's on Ebay. Now,
they are virtually non existent, victims of ricers and rust.

The usual tell tale signs of age are missing with your car. The rims are perfect, and the rear quarter
rust hasn't come in yet. Great color combo, teal over tan leather.
I'm guessing you have the DSP stereo?
How is the leather holding up? Most Vigors had pretty thin leather that ripped after a few years.

Basically, a 6th generation Accord with better leather, stereo, better fake wood, and a 5 cyl motor.

Really nice car, I hope it gets repaired to your satisfaction.
Are they really that rare? I know of one locally with original most everything, somewhere north of 70k km's (that was the mileage when I last rode in it) and the owner keeps it stored in heated garage in the winter. HE drives an RDX for a winter DD. No rust, no noticeable damage besides nicks and scrapes...Even the paint is all original, every body panel.

#11 ·
mberisha said:
What? Another accident?!
No, my neighbors highlander.

----------

More good news. My mother calls me, on her way home from work her '90 displays "system problem", she hears a loud humming, and then a loud bang.

So as I go outside to go get her, my neighbor is standing in front of his house, apparently waiting. I look a his truck, look at the Vigor, and then at him..... Looking very embarrassed, he goes "hey.....Ummmmmm". Lol

He wanted to give me his information, but I had to leave. He said he'll be back around 9:00/10:00 tonight. I didn't ask how it happened, I'll find our later.

#12 ·
That whole situation sucks. Hopefully at least he'll be considerate and not a douche about the whole thing. Whenever I'm in Somerville I just don't know how my cousin can stand to park his truck on the street there. Granted it's not a Cadillac or a rare car and he doesn't really care about it, but still. I'd never be able to sleep at night leaving my car on the street. It's good at least you have a driveway but that sucks you have to share it. I know the sick feeling you spoke of though, a few months after I bought my Deville some woman slamed her door into my passanger door in a parkinglot, WHILE I WAS SITTING IN THE CAR, thank God. Because this obnoxious broad would have never left a note and was trying to start a fight with me. I ended up getting almost $900 dollars from her insurance and fixed the ding myself plus had left over money from it. Have any good shops to bring the Acura?

#13 ·
Wow, your Vigor is in great condition.
Its hardly a collector's car, so original condition isn't the end of the world.
I'm sure a good body man will make it perfect.

You're right about the rarity. Used to be, you could find a dozen or so Vigor's on Ebay. Now,
they are virtually non existent, victims of ricers and rust.

The usual tell tale signs of age are missing with your car. The rims are perfect, and the rear quarter
rust hasn't come in yet. Great color combo, teal over tan leather.
I'm guessing you have the DSP stereo?
How is the leather holding up? Most Vigors had pretty thin leather that ripped after a few years.

Basically, a 6th generation Accord with better leather, stereo, better fake wood, and a 5 cyl motor.

Really nice car, I hope it gets repaired to your satisfaction.

#16 ·
No, not a collectors car, but still disappointing, I do have an excellent body shop about 45 seconds from my house.

They're definitely a rare sight, especially in the northeast. ALL older Honda products are victims to ricers and rust, lol. This one was from Clearwater Florida (as was my Seville), Not a speck of rust anywhere, NONE, I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb.

I love the colors, Acura calls the interior Cognac, I call it peanut butter...you could spread some on the seats and never see it. The leather has held up extremely well, Honda leather of the '90's was garbage. No tears, top of rear seat back and headrests still soft and not discolored. The DSP head unit is gone :(, I assume the display failed at some point. There's a cheesy looking Kenwood in it now from the previous owner, but it sounds decent and has an AUX hookup. When I find an OEM head unit ill grab it.

I uploaded some quick pictures of the interior, engine compartment and the "good side" if you want to take a look:

http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m538/moistcabbage/Vigor/

#17 ·
I feel your pain. Twice now I have had the rear driver's quarter of my Cadillac smashed in, causing hundreds of dollars worth of damage each time (Remember, my Brougham does not have the rear fillers, due to it's design) and both times it happened while my car was in my particularly large driveway, pulled up so close to the garage door that even I can't walk between the two. This means someone drove a good six feet into my driveway THEN misjudged the distance to my car and hit it.

Call the police. You have evidence, I never did. When you see the Highlander (Ewwwww) I bet it's got some new green paint.

#18 ·
The Vigor was always a bit of an odd duck with a longitudinally mounted five cylinder, so it never seemed to catch on. Being in Boston, do people call it a Vig-ah? Sorry, I always though it was funny how JFK pronounced it. :lol:

#19 ·
Thanks for the photo link.

One of the nicest Japanese interiors of all time.
Back when Honda new how to build cars with a low beltline providing that GoCart driving experience.
The pillar less windows are really nice.
Subaru used to claim that this design was stronger, leaving the steel in the roof as opposed to the window
frame ... who knows.
Your leather is really good for a Honda ... so are the floormats, seat bolsters, etc.
Engine is spotless
Jeez, even your power antenna still retracts.
Very nice car, I hope you preserve it.
Like Jesda says, I haven't seen one on the streets in years, and Ebay searches often come up empty
now as well.

#24 ·
Wow, I haven't seen a Vigor in probably 4-5 years. There was a guy, years ago by my parents' house that had a gorgeous dark green Vigor, I always admired it's sharp lines, especially compared to the stuff Acura puts out now. I knew they were unique in their segment, nobody else made a longitudinally mounted I-5, aside from Volvo. Were they based off the same chassis under the 1991-93 Accord?

Sorry to hear about your beautiful Vigor bud, but atleast you've talked with the neighbor and they've admitted their fault.

#25 · (Edited)
Were they based off the same chassis under the 1991-93 Accord?
'90-'93 Accord. No, not quite. You could call them cousins I suppose. The Honda lineup was a bit confusing back in the day:

In Japan (where there is no Acura name plate), in the late '80's/early '90's, there was the Honda Accord (as we knew it in the states), and the Honda Ascot (an upscale model almost identical to the Accord- Different hood, lights, bumpers, 6 windows instead of 4...) There was a Honda Vigor (same as an Acura Vigor), and also a Honda Accord Inspire (which was based on the Vigor, not an Accord at all:hmm:).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.