OnStar will be selling our speed, location and seatbelt usage after December?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, OnStar will be selling our speed, location and seatbelt usage after December? in General Discussion; ...
    texmaster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

OnStar will be selling our speed, location and seatbelt usage after December?

Does anyone else know about this? I will cancel my service if this is true.

Toward the end, you’ll read about how GPS data is collected, including vehicle speed and seat belt status. Again, in an emergency, this is very useful and most customers want an emergency services business to collect this information - when necessary. And the old 2010 terms and conditions only allowed OnStar to collect this information for legitimate purposes, such as recovering a stolen vehicle, or when needed to provide other OnStar services to customers on demand. As you scroll down the list of information collected, you see that once you get past important emergency services (what we pay OnStar for), OnStar now has given themselves the right to also use this information to stuff their pockets. OnStar has granted themselves the right to collect this information “for any purpose, at any time, provided that following collection of such location and speed information identifiable to your Vehicle, it is shared only on an anonymized basis.” – This provides carte blanche authority for OnStar to now track and collect information about your current GPS position and speed any time and anywhere, instead of only in the rare, limited circumstances the old contract outlined.

Anonymized GPS data? There’s no such thing! We’ve all seen this before – anonymized searches, for example, that were not-so-quite anonymized. But in this case, it’s impossible to anonymize GPS data! If your vehicle is consistently parked at your home, driving down your driveway, or taking a left or right turn onto your street, its pretty obvious that this is where you live! It’s like trying to say that someone’s Google Map lookup from their home is “anonymized” because it doesn’t have their name on it. It still shows where they live! What’s unique even more-so to OnStar is that the data they claim they sell as part of their business model is useless unless it’s specific; that is, not diluted to the nearest 10 mile radius, etc. This combination of analytics, and their prospective customers (law enforcement, marketers, etc) requires the data be disturbingly precise. Anyone armed with Google can easily do a phone book or public records search to find the name and address that resides at any given GPS coordinate.

http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=127...=1#comment-138

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: OnStar will be selling our speed, location and seatbelt usage after December?

There's another thread currently running on the same subject.............up in Deville - Merge ??

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Re: OnStar will be selling our speed, location and seatbelt usage after December?

Please...as if they weren't always doing this...
    Playdrv4me and Playdrv4me like this.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

texmaster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

My apologies. No need to be rude, I didn't see it.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

No one's being rude - simply putting the books on the correct shelf in the library.

(Go up to Deville and look at the same info there............)

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The scary part is what IS NOT written (can and will be used against you in a court of law). Thanks but no thanks Onstar. Big brother is watching enough. I've lived without it for this long, I can finish without it.

I'd merge the Deville thread, but I'm not a mod here.
    Rolex and Rolex like this.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Lolstar.

I've disabled that in several vehicles in my time, but now that it's available, I can't imagine installing it in one of mine. (I actually know someone who seriously thought I had Onstar as a Factory option in my 1987)

This isn't really anything new, so Big Brother is watching you and what else is new?

If it unnerves you that much, you can uninstall said Onstar device from your car or drive safely with your seatbelt on and at a proper speed as posted on roadsigns.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

there's been about six of these threads today... at least
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

It is amusing that despite the fact that Americans, within the United States, are prohibited from being monitored by agencies of the federal government, without express permission of the "star court" judges, that citizens freely give up their right to privacy and allow themselves to be monitored extensively by private companys (in the form of Onstar, company and store "courtesy" or "loyalty" cards, etc., etc.) and routinely sign away this right to privacy for a small discount or other minor privilege. Big Brother is watching you, and it isn't Uncle Sam but rather K-Mart, Sam's Club, Shell Oil or Kroger!
    Rolex and Rolex like this.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

FailStar. But then, it really always has been an overpriced service that really should have been free to begin with. Including it by default (with an opt-out of course) would have helped GM sell a lot more cars in this era of safety and security concerns, versus the little bit of worthless profit they eek out of the service itself. At least a year's worth if nothing else. They were doing as much as six months at one point, but by then OnStar had gotten long in the tooth and it wasn't being properly promoted. The only truly useful part of OnStar is the just recently released remote ability with Android smart phones. Otherwise, Sync and MyFordTouch are far more scalable and capable technology that relies on NO ONE outside of the vehicle. It just seems like OnStar never really made it out of the '90s, and that's why the service has always teetered on the edge of profitability and failure.

This makes me quite happy I ditched my factory installed non-Bluetooth OnStar module in the Escalade for the later Bluetooth enabled unit, since the VIN coding is incompatible and essentially destroys the OnStar functionality, but leaves Bluetooth working perfectly.

i'm really excited to see the new infotainment system that will be supposedly standardized across the line (beginning with the xts) that's supposed to be in the same vein as the myfordtouch/sync stuff that ford is doing
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i'm really excited to see the new infotainment system that will be supposedly standardized across the line (beginning with the xts) that's supposed to be in the same vein as the myfordtouch/sync stuff that ford is doing
    Agreed. When GM/Delphi really put their minds to a task (i.e. Magneto-rheological dampers) they can knock some amazing stuff out of the park, and there is definitely still room for improvement over My Ford Touch. Lots of complaints of slowness for example. Still, the functionality makes up for it in my opinion so hopefully GM can one up the weak areas of MFT. We'll see.

the vague description that i got recently is that it's like ipad for your car

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    the vague description that i got recently is that it's like ipad for your car
    I've played with the "myfordtouch" in a Ford Edge(crossover SUV thing), and that's exactly what its like. No ****ing thanks, its a horrible system IMO that just replaces a bunch of buttons and knobs with a touch display. Nothing really new there, touch screen navigation has been out since the 90's, hated it then, still hate it now. It forces you to take your eyes off the road to change the climate control, adjust the radio, turn on the seat heaters, and like an iphone, it only works when you do it exactly right and give it 100% of your focus.

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    Then there's the whole 'powered by Microsoft' aspect of Ford's system. I know someone that drove a Flex. He finally figured out that when the radio just stopped working while he was driving he had to stop, turn off the engine, and restart it before the radio would work. Blue Screen of Silence?

Just like all the old jokes about ...if Microsoft built cars...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.