OnStar will be selling our speed, location and seatbelt usage after December? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, OnStar will be selling our speed, location and seatbelt usage after December? in General Discussion; i thought that voice control was what the ford systems were all about... keeping your eyes on the road and ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: OnStar will be selling our speed, location and seatbelt usage after December?

i thought that voice control was what the ford systems were all about... keeping your eyes on the road

and i'm really hoping that they ditched windows embedded auto for this new system
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Re: OnStar will be selling our speed, location and seatbelt usage after December?

Orconn raises a good point, but in hindsight, not that I care or that it is intentional, but now that I think about it, I am not a part of any of those Customer Loyalty programs. In fact, I seldom if ever even use a debit card and tend to pay cash for things.

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

What else would ou expect from GM, a goverment take over of a major private inudstry.
    Big brother is getting ahead of the curve with big brother issues and I din't think being challenged enough.

Of course this data has been compiled but not sold for use in accident reconstruction.
    Compiling operating data is not exclusive to Onstar equipped vehicles.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Many popular vehicles use a computer in much the sense of a black box on an aircraft, which records what the driver does with the car. Even if said car is never in an accident, I suspect that company-owned dealerships may retrieve this data when a car is traded back in to them. Maybe more often, if it receives frequent service there.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    i thought that voice control was what the ford systems were all about... keeping your eyes on the road

and i'm really hoping that they ditched windows embedded auto for this new system
    That's correct. The whole point is to enable voice control to have far more power than it has had on traditional Navigation systems. For example, there's the ability to read your incoming text messages to you without ever having to take your eyes off the road. If you are an Android user, then you know of course that Android allows text to speech on texts as well, so technically you could just about automate that entire process and never have to touch the phone for anything. People are going to do it regardless, so much like Bluetooth for voice calls, voice to text for SMS messages is a logical next step.

My ideal situation is essentially to be able to dump my entire phone in a console or keep it in my pocket as I drive, and be able to achieve every possible type of communication or music selection via voice or a very few taps on the vehicle display. MFT may not be perfect, and it may still be far from it, but I appreciate the gist of what's trying to be achieved there.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Yeah, I agree... I was responding to Aron9000's comment that "It forces you to take your eyes off the road to change the climate control, adjust the radio, turn on the seat heaters, and like an iphone, it only works when you do it exactly right and give it 100% of your focus."
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

OnStar works for the CIA.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Yeah, I agree... I was responding to Aron9000's comment that "It forces you to take your eyes off the road to change the climate control, adjust the radio, turn on the seat heaters, and like an iphone, it only works when you do it exactly right and give it 100% of your focus."
    I didn't know there was a voice command portion. I still think its a needlessly fiddly system, the regular Ford radio and HVAC controls are a lot more logical and easy to use without taking your eyes off the road.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.