Winter's Coming to Snow Country, Time For a Beater.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By orconn
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Winter's Coming to Snow Country, Time For a Beater. in General Discussion; Problem with a beater is you still have to drive it. For me, it can't be too much of a ...
    ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Winter's Coming to Snow Country, Time For a Beater.

Problem with a beater is you still have to drive it.

For me, it can't be too much of a beater. I can do some decent cosmetic work,
    but have no time to turn a wrench other than an oil change.
    So, I needed to buy a solid, relatively cheap car.

Sold my 2007 Lexus ES350 ... too much cash tied up in it.

My Miata will provide me with one or two fall color tours, then it goes to bed for
    4 months. I've driven it for two years now, and it has cost me oil changes and 1
    light bulb. Amazing for a 20 year old car, and it gets driven hard.

I stumbled across a bit of a time machine.
    A 2001 Accord LX V6.
    It has about 55k on it, sold and driven by a senior in our small town.

I wasn't looking for a boring beige Accord, but the mileage and condition was crazy.
    I especially wasn't looking for a boring beige sedan ... a silver coupe, 5spd EX-L
    would've suited my tastes more. But, with a cheap car, mileage and condition are
    everything. Plus, the Miata satisfies the fun factor.

The V-Tech V6, at 200HP, moves the car along very well.
    At idle, you're tempted to try and start the car.
    It is silent.
    Its also very tight and direct ... feels like a go cart.
    I've now owned 3 Accords from the 98-02 generation, and this one feels like it just
    came out of the showroom.
    It should, with such low mileage.

It came with the ugliest hub caps and skinny tires.

I quickly purchased some Acura TL 16" wheels and rubber, used and abused.
    The car has much better control with the larger tires ... more road noise, but
    feels more secure.
    The new rims cleaned up nice ... in two months, the snow tires and black steelies will go on.

The car gets Krown rustproofed next week, and I'll drain/refill the transmission fluid
    with the proper synthetic tomorrow. The weak spot on these cars are the tranny's
    with the V6. This one shifts fine and is barely broken in ... I don't drive much, so
    its worth the gamble.

Price was $5800 ... sold the ES350 for $19, so I reinvested $13k.

If I'm bored with it in the spring, I'll sell it to some kid in Toronto, possibly turning
    a profit in the process.

I came across a lot of crap out there in my search for a $5k beater.
    I was hoping for a 2004 Lesabre with 60k.
    But, like most cars you see up here, every body panel showed the ravages of winter,
    salt, and owner neglect.

This Accord should get the job done ... get me to work on time, and the occasional
    night out.

Here's a link to full size pics.
    http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...winter beater/

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: Winter's Coming to Snow Country, Time For a Beater.

Those are great cars! And they look good too.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

I agree, good cars, especially considering your climate in Canada. I regularly maintain 2 of these - a 2000 and a 2002. The thing I like most about them is that I've noticed that they are relatively corrosion resistant. This is quite contrary to the Buicks you were looking at, which you found out on your own. Solid chassis, durable suspension components, and overall, they are well put together. They are a near perfect choice for the role that you want it to fill.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I don't know for Canada, but $5800.00 for a honda in really nice condition would be a steal down here!
    ben.gators and ben.gators like this.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Nice car, spent the same amount on the '04 Town Car which is the same color, which was also owned by an older gentleman since 19k miles. Watch out with the transmission as they are known to be problematic on the 2000s era V6 Hondas and Acuras and that one has low enough mileage it might not have had it replaced yet. Other than that a perfect choice.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    Watch out with the transmission as they are known to be problematic on the 2000s era V6 Hondas and Acuras and that one has low enough mileage it might not have had it replaced yet. Other than that a perfect choice.
    The senior service writer at our Honda dealer said he's only seen the transmission issue on the much heavier
    Odysseys. He mentioned it may have to do with our rural setting, where the tranny doesn't heat up as badly
    as it would in a major city.

Still, it gets a drain and fill with synthetic fluids tomorrow, just to be safe.
    I drive about 3 to 4 k per year, so I should be fine.

Orconn, my friend who owns the dealership where this car was traded in would've listed it at $8995 due to
    the rare mileage and body condition. He gave the senior $4.8 on trade, and flipped it to me for a $1k profit.
    Its the 4th vehicle I've swapped with him since January, so we know what to expect from one another.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Friend of mine has around 220k on hers. She had the tranny rebuilt a year or two ago, which seems within reason to me. She and her husband bought the car new in 1998, kept it after her divorce, and sees no reason to replace it. It's safe, dependable, and still looks modern and clean.

I don't expect more than 170k out of most automatics. My friend's otherwise perfect 2001 CL, unfortunately, had some transmission issues at 120k so he traded it for an F150.

With less than 60k on the clock, that's at least 4-5 years before anything like that becomes an issue.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Forester XT. Accept no substitute...

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Solid Honda Ted! A friend of mine back in high school had an '01 EX-V6 coupe, it was fully loaded except heated seats and I thought it was a very pleasant car. Good power out of it's little V-6, comfortable for everyone and it ran like a swiss watch. I drove it once and was impressed by how smooth the car felt. I don't mean just the motor and transmission, but even the small things, like the way the shifter felt and the way all the knobs and switches felt...smooth and high quality.

I think those are truly the last good looking Accords. The 03-07 models were still decent looking, but not as "fresh" as the 98-02's, and the newest models are downright ugly IMO.

Just keep the transmission fluid & filter fresh and you will decrease the chances of any transmission failures.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

That's a screaming deal on that Honda. Ones that sell for that cheap usually have double or triple the miles around in my parts, and aren't that clean.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

my friend has a 03 accord v6 just like that..but his only has 20 km on it and he got it off his great aunt.
    his car just before that was a 2002 accord, same color as well but a 4cyl...hes been beating on it since he got his g2 at age 16... its still running and his brother is in college now and is going to be driving it in the next couple weeks after he puts new suspension, tires and brakes on it.

i would have sold you my 2002 jimmy...
    its red, 2 dr, 4x4, gets 8mpg city and 12 highway (with the wind...going downhill....seriously), has a recent paint job, new rad, fan, hoses, headlights hood and fenders, recently measured and adjusted frame (bad adjustment job..nothing lines up), tires wont point straight, needs ball joints and tie rods, you wont fall asleep while driving...why you ask? well its not because of the comfortable seats (seats suck) but you have to hold onto the steering wheel to keep her on the road, and she squeaks like crazy!!
    also comes with new spark plugs, wires and a battery!

even with 200 km on her in all honesty the engine fired up 2 weeks ago after it being in storage since march, those 4.3's are amazing, if they only could have made them better on gas....im going to do the suspension and hope the tires will point straight this winter... good thing i only drove 5000km between last December and late feb...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.