Bringing Home A Monster ó Momís 2011 Infiniti QX56
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Bringing Home A Monster ó Momís 2011 Infiniti QX56 in General Discussion; Copypasta from the blog http://jesda.com/2011/09/20/bringing...infiniti-qx56/ Back in August I went car shopping for my mom [ http://jesda.com/2011/09/01/comparis...nfiniti-qx56/] . She was ...
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Thumbs up Bringing Home A Monster ó Momís 2011 Infiniti QX56

Copypasta from the blog
    http://jesda.com/2011/09/20/bringing...infiniti-qx56/

Back in August I went car shopping for my mom [http://jesda.com/2011/09/01/comparis...nfiniti-qx56/]. She was interested in a new three-row SUV to replace her Lexus GX470, so I went window shopping on her behalf with my friend Ian. We took a glance at Cadillac and BMW and took the Mercedes GL and Infiniti QX for a test drive. We came away quite impressed with the build quality and expensive materials used in the Infiniti, and it drove like a much smaller, livelier vehicle.

My mom leaned toward the Mercedes GL450 for its styling and appearance, at least as depicted in the brochures I gave her, but I urged her to go see the new Infiniti QX56 in person. As strange looking as it was, it drove and felt like something much more substantial and luxurious than its relatively competitive sticker price.

Additionally, my friend James, an engineer at Nissan who I met through NICOClub, offered us a generous Infiniti VPP discount coupon that took seven thousand dollars off the sticker price, eliminating any negotiation or haggling.

On September 14, 2011, she called me and asked me to meet up with her at Bommarito Infiniti. A week earlier, I e-mailed Bob Maher, our salesman at Bommarito, and told him she had decided to keep her Lexus for a few more years. Then suddenly, the night before at around midnight, she called and told me she wanted to see what was out there and asked me to meet up with her in the afternoon.

It was a gloomy, rainy Wednesday, generally terrible weather for buying or selling automobiles. I picked her up in my Seville and drove her to Bommarito Infiniti on Manchester Road. We took a white QX56 for a drive and Mom was immediately impressed, commenting that it “drove like a car.”

She called my stepdad to have him take it for a drive and share his opinion -- he favored it as well, especially the birds-eye-view camera system and the generous living room-inspired interior. [He arrived at the dealer in his impressively clean 2004 Lexus LX470 with 320,000 miles on the clock.]

Mom’s GX470 was still at the Lexus dealer for service, completed weeks earlier but never picked up because of her travel obligations. She intended to keep it for a few more years, especially after having the timing belt and water pump serviced, but said that after being without it for so long, she didn’t miss it.

And that’s the problem with so many Lexus products. A handful will make an impact, like the LS sedan, the first generation SC, and the current F-series performance cars, but the rest tend to be filler, tucked into well-defined marketing segments without any inspiration.

Even my mother, an automotive layperson, acknowledges this problem.

As questionable [that’s me being exceedingly polite] as the Infiniti’s styling may be, it’s still a joy to drive and an absolute pleasure to be in. Her agenda that day was supposed to be restricted to window shopping and kicking tires, but there was no reason to visit the Mercedes dealer or go anywhere else. For her, the Infiniti was the one.

That’s what happens when a driver emotionally connects with a vehicle, it cultivates (or breaks) brand loyalty and transcends test numbers in magazines or specifications in brochures. All the black and red dots in Consumer Reports mean nothing when it comes time to drive, look at, and feel a car.

Perhaps, then, the average Camry driver isn’t a boring, soulless person as I often tease. It’s possible that he or she hasn’t been exposed to the automotive greatness that’s out there, the motoring joy that's waiting to be experienced. Like art, like food, like music, like everything in life, it takes time and effort to make a connoisseur out of a mass market regular.

In the words of my friend Gary, “Life is too short for boring cars.” Preach on, Mr. Hebding.

Back to the QX…

My parents decided to keep their ’06 Lexus GX as an extra beater car, something for house guests to drive around. This made it difficult for Bommarito to make a profit on the deal since a trade was out of the equation and the VPP voucher set pricing well below invoice.

They decided to finance it and purchased the optional dent coverage and maintenance package, so at least the dealer made a few coins.

They took delivery of a gray AWD QX56 with black leather, 22-inch wheels, door and bumper sills, a roof rack, and rear seat entertainment. The sticker was $68000 but thanks to the VPP discount from James they took it home for $61000, a massive discount.

Bob introduced my mom to some of its most important functions and paired her iPhone to the head unit.

The truck has grown on me, but the look hasn’t and probably never will.

Bommarito’s clean but small service bay.

It’s hard to tell from a blurry camera phone photo, but the stitching is impressive.

Lighted sills.

My role as an advisor was complete, so I headed home while mom and her husband finished up the deal. I drove over to her house later that night to take a closer look at the new truck.

It barely fits into the garage, a modern home built in the 1990s. I’m still having trouble accepting its weird face.

Her Lexus was short enough to park behind the freezer. The QX had to be parked at an angle to get around it. My aunt’s Subaru Impreza will be moved to this space instead.

To inaugurate her purchase, she’s driving the Infiniti to Minnesota. A road trip is an excellent way to bond with a new vehicle, learning its quirks and discovering new features. [She was surprised when I told her about the heated steering wheel.]

Big thanks to my friend James Sisson at Nissan for the discount, Bob Maher at Bommarito Infiniti for the sales experience, and the engineers in Japan for creating this Godzilla on wheels.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Bringing Home A Monster ó Momís 2011 Infiniti QX56

Congrats to your mom on her new ride. I agree with you that current Nissan/Infiniti design vocabulary is, um, singular, but at least it's not boring.

sukeiasa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts wagon

congrats on the vehicle... your parents drove it off the lot for $61k, or $61k+tax/fees?

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

i don't know that thing looks like the short bus to me

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Jesda, you better get you Mom a a peaked trucker's hat, 'cause she's really truckin' now! She won't have any trouble rubbing shoulders with the "big" guys at the Missouri Truckstop!
    Jesda and Jesda like this.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Tell your mom congrats, it's a nice ride with lots of tech.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

It's not as ugly in silver... and still not as bad as the FX.

I can dig it. Hopefully customer service is good to her, should she ever need it.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Wow.............you thought the Crosstour is ugly and you let your mom buy this?

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

While I agree it's no Escalade (in terms of exterior styling) It's really no worse than anything else out there. At least it's somewhat different. And if the interior is as good as you say it is, that more than makes up for it.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

While I can't say it's a handsome truck like an Escalade, it certainly does stand out and won't be confused for anything else in the Ethan Allen parking lot. The interior, drivetrain and driving dynamics sound unmatched though.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Quote Originally Posted by hueterm View Post
    While I agree it's no Escalade (in terms of exterior styling) It's really no worse than anything else out there. At least it's somewhat different. And if the interior is as good as you say it is, that more than makes up for it.
    Even I think it's heinous and I bought a Crosstour! There isn't one angle on that whole vehicle where it can be said it even kinda looks good! All new cars are ugly to me save for the 'Vette, Mustang and Challenger and numerous European and exotic cars. Just big melted looking gobs of ugly shit. I visited the Nissan dealership looking for a car and quickly left.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Wait wut??! You guise bought a Nissan product!!?

eta: the Infinity definitely has a unique look, but they're very nice inside. One of the best things about that SUV is the engine. They make a LOT of power and sounds great.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Even I think it's heinous and I bought a Crosstour! There isn't one angle on that whole vehicle where it can be said it even kinda looks good! All new cars are ugly to me save for the 'Vette, Mustang and Challenger and numerous European and exotic cars. Just big melted looking gobs of ugly shit. I visited the Nissan dealership looking for a car and quickly left.
    "...no worse than anything else out there." is not really a ringing endorsement. It's an SUV: even an Escalade is big and ponderous -- it just has a nicer face on it (and a cheap interior and crappy transmission). I don't think I was one of the ones ragging on your Crosstour, but it's not really that attractive either. It's function and practicality. Just like this QX...sort of...
    Destroyer and Destroyer like this.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

fat, fugly POS

F
    RightTurn and RightTurn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hueterm View Post
    "...no worse than anything else out there." is not really a ringing endorsement. It's an SUV: even an Escalade is big and ponderous -- it just has a nicer face on it (and a cheap interior and crappy transmission). I don't think I was one of the ones ragging on your Crosstour, but it's not really that attractive either. It's function and practicality. Just like this QX...sort of...
    I agree with the Crosstour assessment, it's not particularly attractive. Function over form. Still, there weren't many "attractive" alternatives. This QX kinda reminds me of the new Nissan Quest but in SUV form. Take a look at the Quest, it's all sorts of ugly but it is functional as is this QX. The QX is at least attractive inside and I'll bet it rides great. I would own it but I would not particularly like looking at it. With the Crosstour, well, I don't exactly enjoy it's looks but am not particularly offended by them either. At least if "flows" even if not in an attractive way. The QX is just plain stodgy from all angles, especially the front and rear. Not a pretty face or ass but I would drive one. Damn the designers of otherwise terrific vehicles!! This is why I like classic cars and European cars, at least they look mean and/or classy. These molten Jap vehicles are just ugly!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.