How GM should have done the 94-96 Fleetwood - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, How GM should have done the 94-96 Fleetwood in General Discussion; I have driven a plain 2.93 Fleetwood, my V4P Fleetwood and my V4P after I put in 3.08's. Still a ...
    N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: How GM should have done the 94-96 Fleetwood

I have driven a plain 2.93 Fleetwood, my V4P Fleetwood and my V4P after I put in 3.08's. Still a very different car than the plain Fleetwoods....

Agree, 99% of the owners of a Fleetwood would never tow. Once in a blue moon I have seen, but it is very rare.

But the driveability of the car with the tight converter and the 3.42's isn't the best unless you are just getting on the gas and going, but if you are in traffic, it is pretty annoying. And the looser converter in the 3.42's cars would lessen the 1-2 huge drop in rpm too and make acceleration just that much better....

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Cadillac stopped innovating with large and luxurious cars over 30 years ago. The market changed quickly back then and Cadillac went completely up the wrong tributary and forgot that paddles even existed.

Today we have some sort of regurgitation of Cadillacs starting with a frumpy quasi full size front drive car that has basically not changed since it was first introduced to rental car fleets a decade ago, then we have small and powerful smaller Cadillacs with chopped up and overdone styling that hard to honestly like, and an SUV ghetto wagon that is large and comfortable but has the same unfortunate overstated styling theme that Cadillac can't seem to graduate from.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Mechanically I can't complaint at all .I like LT1 engines and they do perform very well and not to mention they can be modded easily as well . Tranny is extremely durable and shifts smoothly ,GM knows how to make the best trannies that shifts silky cloudy . (Even Jaguar XJ12 , Bentley Arnage did use these ) .
    Cosmetically, these gorgeous cars should have come with more fake wood like their ancestors did .More chrome , better stalk design , shifter and shifter gauge looks out of 1950s . Also, what's wrong with trip computer , they should have added these cool and useful stuff .
    I am not fan of stock tyre size , I wish OEM was like 225 / 60 / 16

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

I hate 95 Fleet's driver seat.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Not as bad as what they did to the previous generation Brougham. As time went on, engines got worse. Not that you can kill an Olds 307, since it is essentially indestructible, but it is NOT anything close to the proper engine for a 5,000 pound block of steel (even heavier in my case) and should have never found it's way into the car's production.

Tennesseestorm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Someone mentioned "creaky" door panels on the Fleetwood... hate to hear this. I dont have one of these yet, but its my goal to get one soon. I know that in my 1991 Caprice Classic I used to have, it had those door panels... not when driving, but when you would open the door pressing the door panel it had a certain squeaking sound when closing, yet my door panels looked like brand new. I didnt know the Fleetwood door panels also had this trait. It is good to hear though that starting in 1995 they used a different latch to make the door closing sound more solid, at least thats what I read?

I also have a 1995 Lincoln Town Car and the door panels are very tight and solid (quiet) and I do applaud Lincoln (Ford) for putting good solid door panels in the 1995-97 Town Cars (I have heard that the 1990-94 Town Car door panels weren't as solid as the redesigned panels in the 95-97 models).. as well as solid sounding doors when closed. They sound much more solid than they did in my old 1991 Chevy Caprice Classic.

Again, hopefully it was an isolated incident.... anyone else with a 93-96 Fleetwood have creaky door panels?

This site is awesome by the way!!

SDCaddyLacky is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleet Bro, 64 Deville. Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville

I found out that somebody took off the drivers side and front passenger door panels, because both panels have broken clips on the bottom of the panel. I actually had to remove the drivers panel last week because of broken window roller! My window fell in the door.

It seems like where all the switches are on the door panel creak a little when opening the door, because the Fleetwood doors are heavy, you have to press against the panel and that is when the movement from the switches makes noise. I am sure not all Fleetwoods have this problem, but mine has started recently.

I wonder what the "Quiet Latch" is. What did Cadillac do to make the doors quieter sounding when closing the doors? I know on the Town Cars they used plastic rollers that go on the latch itself, so when the door closes it's nice and smooth sounding and feeling. But once they break, you got to slam the doors.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

My main beef with my Fleetwood is the interior detail and trim. I had a 1991 Brougham before my 95, and you can tell GM cheaped out, there isn't nearly as much wood(that should've been real in both cars), not as much chrome, and the layout/design is flat out boring IMO. Also the giant dashboard/sloped windshield is just a dumb design move, they could've made the hood longer and the windshield/dash shorter.

Same story could be said of the exterior trim as well, plastic clips on the lower rockers break over the years, the polished stainless steel trim was replaced by plastic chrome that crinkles and looks bad.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

What year was the last for polished stainless trim?

The lower rocker cover or the trim on the side of the body that is plastic covered and wrinkles away by 100k miles making the Cadillac Flagship look cheap?

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    The lower rocker cover or the trim on the side of the body that is plastic covered and wrinkles away by 100k miles making the Cadillac Flagship look cheap?
    Do all years have this plastic film from 93-96? How does one fix it? Or can it be fixed?

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

My rocker moldings are all chromed metal. You mean the "spears" that wrinkle? And the trim along the tops of the doors, by the window, where the black stuff fades and peels?

Yup, that be the stuff.... You would think that the car would have had some environmental life testing to show that stuff was made like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    My rocker moldings are all chromed metal. You mean the "spears" that wrinkle? And the trim along the tops of the doors, by the window, where the black stuff fades and peels?

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Yup, that be the stuff.... You would think that the car would have had some environmental life testing to show that stuff was made like crap.
    I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine. The chrome is okay, but the black/faded/peeling stuff looks like crap. I think I'm going to grind it off and try to paint it black. The limo-specific parts are impossible to replace so whatever I do has to be "custom".

Tennesseestorm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Well if none of you want your Fleetwoods, I will gladly trade you my '95 Town Car for it... no exterior trim issues on these cars, nor creaky door panel issues. LOL.

Seriously though, these 90-97 Town Cars are not without their issues either... rear air springs are common issues (but coil conversions are cheap and easy) and BDA (blend door actuator) issues are common and requires the entire dash to be loosened and pulled away from the firewall to replace it, as its behind the dash... it prevents the temperature of the HVAC to set where you want it. It could stick on cold or hot.

Thankfully mine is OK and I think was replaced before. Also window issues are often issues, but again, I am lucky, mine are fine thankfully.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.