Marchionne slight leaves UAW's transplant drive in tatters
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 12 Post By The Tony Show
  • 6 Post By Ranger
  • 2 Post By The Tony Show
  • 2 Post By Playdrv4me
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Marchionne slight leaves UAW's transplant drive in tatters in General Discussion; DETROIT -- The hissing you hear today is the sound of air leaking from Bob King's dream to organize the ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Marchionne slight leaves UAW's transplant drive in tatters

DETROIT -- The hissing you hear today is the sound of air leaking from Bob King's dream to organize the transplant automakers.

Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne punctured it at 10 p.m. Detroit time last night in a letter he sent to the UAW president, questioning whether King and the UAW had really changed.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20110915/BLOG06/110919886/1503#ixzz1Y8j9JxPr

..and/or read the letter...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Re: Marchionne slight leaves UAW's transplant drive in tatters

King deserved a dressing down after snubbing the meeting.....nuff said.

F

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Non Union factory workers enjoy competitive wages, solid benefits and a safe work environment. The time of the Union and their thug tactics being relevant or necessary in this country is long over.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Seems to me that a simple courtesy call to reschedule would have been appropriate.

Non Union factory workers enjoy competitive wages, solid benefits and a safe work environment. The time of the Union and their thug tactics being relevant or necessary in this country is long over.
    The other side of that coin is that non union workers get what they get BECAUSE the unions have created an industry standard to meet. Without unions, large companies are free to change rules and benefits at their whim. I've seen them change nothing more than a job title and and force employees to interview for their old job at a lower rate of pay. Kind of like taxation without representation. I've seen both sides and I can tell you that the non union side is not always kumbayah.

Those situations are becoming fewer and more far between in today's age of instant news reporting and lawsuits. With laws covering everything from workman's comp to child labor and overtime pay, manufacturers aren't free to abuse their workforce like they could in the 40s and 50s.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

On a related note:

Quote Originally Posted by Autoblog
    Australia's The Age reports that 400 of the 3,300 workers have crossed the picket line and returned to work building Camry and Aurion models, and union members are less than thrilled. In fact, striking workers have been less than subtle in threatening those 400 workers, issuing letters calling the line-crossers "f*cking scabs," and adding "we know where you live."

The threats have not been well-received by union management, with national secretary Dave Smith issuing a statement saying that there was no place for threats and intimidation at work. Still, the line-crossing workers have to feel less than safe after receiving threats like "payback is a bitch three-fold" and "we know what car you drive."
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/16/t...ess-to-strike/

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

40's and 50's? Hehe, I was talking about the 80's and 90's and even the last decade!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

what this 'transplant' situation that the UAW is trying to do?

it was never explained in the article ... just assumed the reader had prior knowledge

and this story does seem a little overblown... King was in negotiations with GM... they went over... he couldn't make the Chrysler meeting... it's not like King was chillaxin' by the pool or something

seems like a concocted media story to me - sparked by the over-dramatized and letter from Marchionne

in the end they extend the talks since all that they really needed to do was sit down and finalize it in person

I do wonder why the UAW has no comment... maybe due to the fact that they're still in negotiations

... which makes me wonder if this letter was nothing more than media theatre
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I don't think it's theater. If King was serious about the negotiations that effect thousands of workers, he'd have shown up before the current contract expired.

The "transplant" issue referenced in the article is referring to King's desire to unionize plants in the US owned by Volkswagen, Toyota and others. Due to plummeting Union numbers and the fact that young workers are flocking to import plants here in the US, the UAW will not be able to survive without Unionizing some of those plants and getting new members paying Union dues.

got it...

well it seems like he was set up for failure with the GM and Chrysler negotiations at the same time both with similar deadlines... if he would have left the GM negotiations there probably would have been a scathing letter about that...

...but what do it know...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Regardless of how I feel about the UAW, Bob King himself is incompetent.

ok... i'll cede that i really know nothing about all of this besides what i have gleaned from a glance

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

At one time, there were talks of organizing a union for workers in the financial industry. Curious how I can't remember a single time that I felt slighted or "abused" while working in the financial industry, yet someone else was already deciding that I needed to be represented by some group I wasn't even familiar with.

I also love the cronyism involved with labor unions. If I want to work as a welder, line worker, plumber, or just about any other major trade in the North, I not only have to prove my ability and experience to do such a task, but I also have to be blessed by a union that I don't even want any part of.
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.