Your favorite car of the 80's . . . . - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Your favorite car of the 80's . . . . in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Destroyer That makes you a "purist".Wouldn't it be fun to take that car to a Lamborghini meet/club/event ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: Your favorite car of the 80's . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    That makes you a "purist".Wouldn't it be fun to take that car to a Lamborghini meet/club/event and blow the doors off the rest of the Countach's? Hell yeah it would and doing it all with a basic American small block that dates back to the 50's? Priceless.
    Meh. I'd rather just take my V.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    Sting, I hate to say I told you so, but I kindly suggested at the time you ordered that plate to consider ROO WGN instead of ROO WAGN so you would be guaranteed of avoiding the W covering the center...live and learn: this is one of your many life lessons.
    I know I know... shhhhh.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    [/thread]

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

My choice in cars has always leaned , hard, toward cars that were both quick (not necessarily the fastest) and agile. For this reason when I started to drive in the 1960's (actually 1960) I tended to prefer some of the foreign makes .... Jaguar in particular. The car I was assigned from the family garage was the Mercedes 300D sedan (today dubbed the "Adenauer (Sp?) Mercedes), while it certainly handled better that either the Cadillac or the Olds that made up the other two cars in the garage, the thing was a real pig and New Jersey, in those days, didn't have roads long enough to get its 3 litre 6 cylinder power over 4000 lbs up to a speed where handling could really be tested. For you young guys, most country roads had speed limits of 45 mph tops, and the NJ Turnpike had a 50 mph speed limit! I could also use the "57 Olds Ninety-Eight four door Holiday if my mother wasn't going to be using it. The Olds was fast for its' day but its' brakes weren't great (to put it mildly) and its' handling was Detroit "sloppy" typical of American cars of the day.

When it came time for me to buy my first car, at the ripe old age of 22, I found and chose a nice condition 1958 Jaguar XK 150 drophead (convertible). It was reasonably quick, but wouldn't hold its' own against the "muscle cars" of the day ..... except when it came to stopping (the XK 150's were the first production cars to have four wheel disc brakes) and cornering where even though it was seven years old world put any Detroit metal to shame. This put me on course to owning and enjoying European cars as my prime transportation for the rest of my life.

Back in the sixties and seventies European cars were not known for their reliability, especially when maintain by owners and mechanics trained and used to Detroit engines and other systems. As a result it became the thing to replace the European engines with small black Chevys. I remember seeing several Mercedes 220S sedans and many more Jaguars converted in this way (in fact, I think there is still a company in Texas that specializes in converting Jaguars). I have driven some of these converions, and while some were quicker than the original, they all came acroos as "crude" compared to the original cars. The conversions, no matter how well executed didn't balance as well as the original, to the detriment of handling. The rather lumpy and unbalance of the V-8 impacted negatively on the lovely smoothness of the original six cylinder engines, the cars cruder and less refined than when in the non modified state. The converted cars always came across as just what they were hacked, shadows of the real thing. And of course their resale value plummeted once these modifications were made. And the advantage of the American motor was only an advantage to the backyard mechanic who wasn't able to work on the original power plant.

In the case of the Chevy powered Lamborghini, no one will argued that cars can be built from cheap components that will exceed the performace figures of a real Lamborghini on a 1/4 mile drag track. But if that is your goal you would be much better served by buying a 1970 Chevelle SS, or even one of the many high performance offerings in the form of a Mustang, Camaro, Chrysler product. But you will never achieve the overall performance of the Lamborghini product. And probably not the pride that comes with owning a rare and costly limited production automobile.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV

Sting, I hate to say I told you so, but I kindly suggested at the time you ordered that plate to consider ROO WGN instead of ROO WAGN so you would be guaranteed of avoiding the W covering the center...live and learn: this is one of your many life lessons.
    I told him the same thing!

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    That makes you a "purist".Wouldn't it be fun to take that car to a Lamborghini meet/club/event and blow the doors off the rest of the Countach's? Hell yeah it would and doing it all with a basic American small block that dates back to the 50's? Priceless.
    Sure, but for that matter I could do the same with any set of wheels with a gigantic motor on them.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    My grandfathers sister had that car, with those rims, in that color, when I was younger.

Yeah, since wagon is a 5 letter word that needs to be shortened, it makes more sense to shorten it to 3 letters and get rid of all vowels than get rid of 1 vowel only. Inconsistency is inconsistent. Would anyone not know WGN meant wagon?

Pooroo

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Yeah, since wagon is a 5 letter word that needs to be shortened, it makes more sense to shorten it to 3 letters and get rid of all vowels than get rid of 1 vowel only. Inconsistency is inconsistent. Would anyone not know WGN meant wagon?

Pooroo
    Anyone except Chicagoans I suppose.

gary88, gary88, MacMuse and 1 others like this.

Weaksauce.

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville

I'm partial to C-Body Buicks but my favorite is the Electra T Type

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV

Anything equipped with THESE:

Damn, now I want an 80's Cutlass 442...

I would SO rock a set of those in my car... so SO awesome.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

How the hell does that mess work

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.