Cadillac Owners Forum banner

DTS rear ended... but not pooped on... unlike Jesda :-)

4K views 89 replies 20 participants last post by  Night Wolf 
#1 ·
111 year old man just hit the Platinum at a stop light. He said his foot slipped off the brake. Called cops regardless, since bumper cover is dented. Who knows if there is damage underneath.... plus I want my reverse sensors checked.

Took him about 10 minutes to find his insurance card... if he hadn't been bitching about how my car was hardly scratched, maybe he'd have found it quicker...

#5 ·
He looked as old as someone who was 111. I didn't check his license, however...

He was a feisty one though... bitching at me for making him wait for the cops ;-)

#15 ·
Well...that depends...

(Couldn't resist that one...)

#7 ·
old ppl should not be driving period when i say old i mean like 80 and up come on i have been hit by 80 years olds never rear ended by some kid i have be reaerended 4 times in my 16 years of driving and each itme it was someone who was they could barly walk from the car to the curb without asking for a hand lol

#14 ·
I'm sure they're as excited to hear about that as you are when people go off on your spelling...

I don't think they shouldn't drive, some 80 year olds have it more together than we do... But I *do* think that past age 65 there should be a YEARLY evaluation to determine drive-worthiness.
Agreed, at some age....whatever that age is, is for someone else to decide -- which is why it won't happen.

Funny how a post about a petty scuffed bumper snowballs into talks about how an entire age group's driving capabilities should be questioned.
If you don't care if your bumper gets dented, fine. Believe me, I don't care if your bumper gets dented. Since my car is pristine, however -- I DO care if my bumper gets dented.

I also don't really care about age groups -- however this particular guy was a Willard Scott veteran, and as it turns out, kinda mean. I'd rather it not have happened -- however, that didn't stop me from filing against his insurance...

#10 ·
My wife was involved in just such an accident about a year ago, rear ended at a traffic light by a seventeen year old on his cell phone. The kids father had not paid the insurance on the car the kid was driving and so our uninsured driver coverage had to pay to fix up her Seville. Despite looking like very little damage (didn't get into the actual metal body of the car) the bill still came to $2400. to replace damaged parts, tailpipe tip and replace the bumper covering.

Bottom line is accidents happen, here in the "Old Dominion" drivers of all ages couldn't pass any kind of stringent annual driving test ... how they ever passed what passes for a test in Virginia is truly amazing!

#11 ·
i also think that you should eveyrone should need to take a driver test every 3 years or how ever often there state required license renewal well you should have to take a test every time you go up for renewal but that would cost the states to much money so no way they would do that

#16 ·
Saying old people shouldn't drive at all is a similar generalization as to say teenagers shouldn't drive at all. In both cases, it is a skill-based decision. 110 years old and still able to drive well? Good for you! 16 years old and a very good driver? Kudos. It's the anomalies that are the danger.

#17 ·
@Brandondeleo

yes im sure they are
there is one thing though the reason i say it is because the only times i have even been in a accident that i did not cause and was rear ended was when it was and older elderly person
and they lideraly had trouble walking from the car to the curb and it was not from the acident it just happens to be that i don't think ppl should be driving if they are like that

it comes down to reflexes and response
i don't think they need a driving test but i think ppl should have to take a reflex or responsible test every several years

if they are not fast with reflex then they are deadly i feel

#29 ·
@Brandondeleo

yes im sure they are
there is one thing though the reason i say it is because the only times i have even been in a accident that i did not cause and was rear ended was when it was and older elderly person
and they lideraly had trouble walking from the car to the curb and it was not from the acident it just happens to be that i don't think ppl should be driving if they are like that

it comes down to reflexes and response
i don't think they need a driving test but i think ppl should have to take a reflex or responsible test every several years

if they are not fast with reflex then they are deadly i feel
What about the ones you DID cause? I'm sure someone can come up with some generalizations.

#19 ·
and i retrack my comment about ppl that are old should not drive

but i stick with the stayment that on my experience each time i have ever been rear ended was by someone who was really old and out of shape not big or fat but out of shape to be able to be a responsive driver

#20 ·
Blanket statements are dumb.

My grandpa is 84 years old and drives just fine, but overall he's in great health so that makes a difference. So NO, not everyone past 80 should "stop driving"! I am however, in favor of passing a law making it legal to check their driving skills once a year past the age of "xxx"

Mike, as we spoke over the phone, glad to hear that your car wasn't damaged more and I'm sure his insurance will take care of it.

#22 ·
I am however, in favor of passing a law making it legal to check their driving skills once a year past the age of "xxx"
Oh, nice! A supporter of more discriminatory law. Just what our healthy American culture loves and needs. Goes along great with "This color gets these funds, this race gets this support, Jamaal gets this, but Jack doesn't".

Hard to fight discrimination when the law supports it. Why shouldn't every driver get treated equally? If benefit is found in retesting drivers, all license holders need to be retested. If you single out an age group, you are still ignoring the millions of younger drivers that still need a retest, which doesn't solve the problem. Why half-ass it?

#23 ·
Drew is so much fun. He brings happiness to every thread.

Reactions: drewsdeville
#25 ·
Not that it matters, but....

The reason I said past the age of "xxx" was because of declining eyesight. Not overall driving skills, but simply eyesight.

Reactions: gdwriter
#27 ·
No, not at all. I've had glasses since I was 6, but what I've learned from my optometrists, and many of my glasses-wearing family members is that the older you get, the worse your eyesight gets, and it changes a lot faster. Let's think about it like this....when was the last time you saw someone over the age of 60 w/o glasses or contacts? Much more than the age of 30 or 40... More bifocals on older people or younger people?

When you go to the DMV and retake your test, what's the first thing they do? Recheck your eyesight on that board.

#31 ·
I've had glasses since I was 12. Never had much deterioration of my sight (tested every year) till about five years ago when it was discovered that I had cataracts on both eyes. After a year of the discovery I noticed my night vision had greatly diminished, so I stopped driving at night. Subsequently, I have had cataract surgery on both eyes, with result that I now have 20/20 vision in both eyes and my night vision and peripheral vision are normal. I don't think age alone is a determining factor in being able to drive safely. Many other factors go into being safe at the wheel. The ignorance and over confidence of youth is every bit as dangerous as the physical deterioration brought on by old age. The ability to drive safely is determined not by the individual's age but by his own personal responsibility and physical ability.

#34 ·
I have had eye Surgery laser surgery 2 times ones when i was 17 it reversed itself when i was 18 again when i was 26 it revered itself when i was 28

the Dr's can't figure out why but since it has got cheaper over the years i might try again they said they might also be able to do some sort of injection into the eye

but then ill miss my glasses LOL

#37 ·
We need a Three Stooges eye poke smilie...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.