Cadillac Owners Forum banner

DVD, VHS & Betamax treasures?

5K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  EcSTSatic 
#1 ·
The death of video rental has probably got people to build up vast collections, but which items do you particularly cherish? Wayne & Garth are entertaining characters, lol.:cool2:

Mirthmobile a.k.a. AMC Pacer

Hidemi Aoki

See less See more
1 2
#2 ·
One of my best friends from JrHigh still has every episode of "The Young Ones" on Betamax and a working player.

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
hehehe, I remeber being in freshman in high school and the school was throwing away a bunch(like 20 or so) of perfectly good, but old VCR's.

I took home 3 or 4 of them, figuring that at least one of them had to work. Discovered my tapes didn't fit in them. Never heard of betamax until that day. They even said betamax on the front of them, figured that was some sort of cool 1980's picture enhancing gizmo lol.

#5 ·
Our first VCR was a Sony Betamax. I think we got it around 1980 and fortunate we had a video rental store nearby who rented both Beta and VHS cassettes. I don't remember the year that we finally gave up on Beta and changed over to a VHS machine. For quite awhile Sony's Betamax format was considered to deliver better picture quality than competing systems. But, obviously, Beta eventually lost out to VHS system machines. Much of our tapes from the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics are still in our library, but are in Beta format and no longer playable on our current machines.

Over the years we have accumulated a small library of commercial video cassettes along with a much larger library of video cassettes of recordings of a wide variety of my sons equestrian training and horse show competitions. I guess I should really take the time to transfer these tapes over to CD's before they age to the point of no return. Fortunately I have a VCR/CD disc combination player and recorder to help in this effort.

#6 ·
Among my commercial VHS cassettes is a favorite of mine, the original "The Italian Job" with Michael Caine and host of great supporting actors. The beginning scenes of Roman Brassi carving his way through the twist and turns of the Alps in a Lamborghini Miura is wheel worth the price of admission, but the treasure trove of mid sixties classic cars feature in the film is a real delight. The first version of this film uses the original Mini Coopers to stage the gold robbery and escape through the streets and sewers of Milan. In my opinion this first rendition of "the Italian Job" is far superior to the sequel of a few years back and can now be had on CD. If you like the great sports and GT cars of the 1960's this film is a must see!

#18 ·
And love the late Matt Monro singing while Brassi drives the Miura. Frank Sinatra thought he was a great singer.

The Wraith + Charlie Sheen, if that doesn't say '80s, I don't know what does, lol.

View attachment 85773
I have wraith on dvd

I have a HUGE dvd collection , every episode of south park , all episodes of knight rider ,all the car racing movies to come out on dvd, and all the pixar films . almost all the john candy movies ... EVERY episode of Miami Vice in a very cool Miami Vice Box set that has a cocaine white alligator skin cover ....
Then there is my war movies , Final Countdown, Crimson Tide , Top Gun, Pearl Harbor, Hunt For Red October, Full Metal Jacket , Fire Fox,from the earth to the moon set.... and i think there is like 20 more war movies ...

my hard drive has 200 gigs of cold war and aircraft shows , my favorites are Wings "XB-70 Valkrie" wings "SR-71" and CNN "The Cold war" series ....

Im a cold war buff in addition to my caddy , lego and 80s tv habits

#9 · (Edited)
Never was beta, but big VHS private hijackings(hundreds)that all went out the door in 2004. I tossed many boxes of casettes.
Only saving family footage which I can't even play because the VHS/camera cassette sized adapter busted.
I actually rent DVD at my online local public library(36 libraries), Its all free and more titles & are available than you may think at the online request service.https://www.hclib.org

#15 ·
It's an old thread but what the hell. I have slowly been replacing VHS (Beta is long gone) with DVD and BluRay. The physical storage is much less, and the sound/picture is infinitely better, especially on the big flat screens. VHS is as popular as 8-track IMO. And this is from someone that grew up during all of the formats.

#20 ·
John , I had to come in and like this just because of the monty awesomeness. I have no clue what the "like" does nor its net effect on the world , but its there and I pushed it ...

So somewhere a twitterbookmyface mobile phone with a keyboard just went off like a las vegas slot machine and President Nixon is overjoyed....or at least thats what i think happens ...

#30 ·
And he also plays the Atari 2600 version of Pac Man on the Subaru's in dash screen!

One really special gem is Used Cars (1980) starring Kurt Russell. Columbia made the mistake of releasing it too close to Flying High (Leslie Nielsen). Everyone went to see Flying High and overlooked Used Cars. The few people that did see it loved it!

Used Cars Trailer

Actually, Columbia was one of the few that released their movies on Beta.

Taiyo ni Hoero!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.