With the price of gas going up, do you still joy-ride?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, With the price of gas going up, do you still joy-ride? in General Discussion; I was just thinking about this the other day. Now that the price of gas is around $4.00 per gallon ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

With the price of gas going up, do you still joy-ride?

I was just thinking about this the other day. Now that the price of gas is around $4.00 per gallon for 87 octane, how many of us still go out for a nice scenic drive every once in a while?

I've cut down on "cruising" a lot recently. Not just because the price of gas is high, but with working 65 hours a week I don't have a lot of free time anymore like I used to, and I live right in the heart of the east side of St. Paul, and there really aren't any scenic, open areas right around me to cruise around, and all the speed limits are much lower, roads aren't in good condition and it seems as though there are stoplights every few blocks or so.

Aside from that, if I lived in a more scenic, open area that was more fun to cruise, I still find pleasure in going for a nice cruise on a nice day. I won't do it as much I did when gas was $2.50 a gallon, but it's still cheaper to go for a nice hour long cruise than it is to go see a movie or go out to dinner.

How about you?
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Re: With the price of gas going up, do you still joy-ride?

If I want to go for a scenic cruise, I use my bicycle. Always have, even when gasoline was cheap. Lots more to see on a bicycle when you can take the time to see everything and stray from the roads.

Otherwise, going out to eat is my vice. I LOVE to go out to dinner and, even if more expensive, would much rather sit down to a meal than drive.
    ryannel2003 and ryannel2003 like this.

In the summer of 2001, when I was 14, I used to bike about 4-5 miles daily. I'd go for the same circular route at about 10 AM every day, and at about 7-8 PM that night, every day, all summer long. It was then that I downloaded (illegally) the entire Led Zeppelin discography and would listen to nothing but Zeppelin on my bike rides. From then on out though, I preferred driving. Nothing like downshifting and hitting the meaty part of the torque curve with all four windows down and "Born to Run" blaring out the windows on a nice summer night.

Current:

Past:

jordan00escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade, 2002 Deville DTS

Easiest budget to decrease with these gas prices is the gas bill. I drive the Escalade as little as possible. It's easy to run through $600-800 a month in gas, fill your vehicle up at the beginning of each week and see how long it takes you to hit a quarter tank. If you start saving gas receipts it might surprise you at the end of the month. So, yea I don't drive as much as I use to. A lot of the people I use to work with had started using public transportation and some were commuting together. Over the last few years, the gas prices have probably made "gas" the #1 way to decrease your monthly budget (If you drive a V8 and live in the bay area), atleast from where I'm sitting. Interesting topic, I could see some useful information coming out of this before it's all said and done.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

I rarely, if ever, just "take a drive". My local miles are pretty insignificant -- it's the road trips that get me. The cost of gas, however, hasn't yet been the reason for canceling a trip. Tired, busy, don't want to go, bad weather are much more prevalent reasons.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

jordan00escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade, 2002 Deville DTS

Has anyone ever used that wind thing (kind of like a fan I guess) that goes right behind your intake box? Use to come on late night as a paid advertisement, talking about how it would increase your MPG.. I'm just curious.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Lately I haven't been driving as much, though when I got the STS back the other day I did drive 50-60 miles around just enjoying the drive. I agree with Drew though... I'd rather go sit down at a nice restaurant than go driving. Eating out is one of my favorite things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan00escalade View Post
    Has anyone ever used that wind thing (kind of like a fan I guess) that goes right behind your intake box? Use to come on late night as a paid advertisement, talking about how it would increase your MPG.. I'm just curious.
    I know what you're talking about but I can't remember the name, anyways those never worked. Disproven time & time again.

I like eating out too, but I also like not getting fat. I can't have a good meal at a nice restaurant too often without worrying about packing on the pounds. Like I've said in a different thread last week, I've started to gain some weight since I moved out last fall and would like to curb that before it gets out of hand. I'll still go out and get a nice meal with friends once a weekend or so, but not the 3-4 times a week like I was doing.

Current:

Past:

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by jordan00escalade View Post
    Has anyone ever used that wind thing (kind of like a fan I guess) that goes right behind your intake box?

The cover of that book used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid. I read that book when I was a teenager and really loved it.

Current:

Past:

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

I haven't really joy ridden much after HS. Occasionally we will take a leisurely drive out to the lake, but I don't see the point in cruising much. I pretty much drive to work, my kid's school, the gym, and my farm.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White
    I take the interstate to work amd back. Its the fastest way. Theres an old "US highway" that runs pretty parallel to the interstate, but also goes into towns along the way. Ive started taking this way when im not in a major hurry because its more calming.
    On the interstate im always stressed by that ******* who wont dim his highbeams behind me or the idiot in the honda who thinks this is formula one racing.

Oddly, ive found that my mpg increases when I take the scenic route and its only a 5 minute difference at most. The reason I think is that its still a highway so the posted speed limit is similar and since there are alot less cars I only have to slow down or speed up when I pass through the small towns.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Since I no longer have to drive for work and can pick the times and places when I want to drive. Fortunately I only live five minutes from the beautiful Central Virginia horse country, so both Autumn and Spring make for enjoyable drives through the countryside. Since my Seville is really just a backup car to my wife's daily driven Seville, I make a point of taking my car out for "exercise" once a week ..... a five mile run on the twisties to a six lane divided highway for a 5 mile run each way and the back home for a 20 mile total weekly jaunt to keep every thing working and oiled. When I feel like it I take a much further run like over to Yorktown for lunch or Charlottesville. As little as we drive for necessities, almost everything is within a mile or two from the house, we have plenty of gas left over for leisure drives when the spirit moves!

That being said, i fully sympathize with those that must commute long distances on a slim budget. Not only are gas prices driving up food and other necessities, but they have also driven up the cost of working. I don't see gas prices moderating soon, due to the developments in the Middle East and increasing demand around the world, so I ques the life styles of many Americans are in for significant changes.

SDCaddyLacky is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham, Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville

I haven't really cruised in a long long time. I used to take trips to Downtown San Diego. I would hit up one of the main arteries that takes you directly down there in one of my old Cadillacs. Since I don't own the 68 Coupe Deville anymore, the days of cruising long distances are over.

5-6 years ago when gas was around $2.00 a gallon in CA, I was able to afford the gas for 472 beast, food prices, and other commodities were much cheaper too, cost of living was less, never really affordable, but doable without the issues of being broke all the time.

I can't do the same things I did back then especially with gas prices way above $4.00 a gallon here, not to mention everything else going up dramatically. Whats crap is everyone knows that's there's price gouging, yet the government hasn't done anything about it. And it's not right when you pull up to certain gas stations and see say $4.10 a gallon, so your like well I'm going there instead of Chevron being $4.30 a gallon. The problem is, that's cash price. Some stations will post the cash price, and not both. So if you pay with a credit or debit card, like most people do, then that's not the lower price you thought you were going to get.

This is wrong and deceiving. It's mainly independents that do this, but I have seen 76 stations do this as well.

Anytime I need to go somewhere, be it to work, or to the store, it's always enjoyable and sorta of like my own mini cruising Sunday.

My 61 Continental on the other hand I only drive very short distances, like a few miles, nothing too far, just enough to get all the fluids warmed up and the engine to work out a lil.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I drive for work. I drive for pleasure. I take joyrides all the time. I'll be taking 3-4 days to go down the Blue Ridge Parkway and see the race at Darlington. My Town Cars get 65-70k miles per year for work and my V gets about 20k a year in mostly recreational driving...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.