Anyone else in favor of Inline six, rear wheel drive luxury cars? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Anyone else in favor of Inline six, rear wheel drive luxury cars? in General Discussion; Originally Posted by orconn If we have to go the six cylinder route, I am all in favor of Inline-sixes ...
    hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Re: Anyone else in favor of Inline six, rear wheel drive luxury cars?

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    If we have to go the six cylinder route, I am all in favor of Inline-sixes as opposed to the omnipresent V-6's we seem to be saddled with. The I-6 driving the rear wheels makes for a smooth running better balanced configuration that the present FWD V-6, which at best is only a adequate in a luxury car, can't touch. The FWD set ups only real advantage has been increased interior room. But with most luxury cars coming with front and rear center consoles the advantage of a flat floor has long passed into history.

For many years Jaguar, Rolls, Mercedes got along fine with very good straight 6's. Even the uber heavy brick's that Mercedes has put out over their years have been adequately powered by straight sixes. BMW certainly has won a strong following and respect for their I-6 powered cars (many prefer them to that company's V-8s). So maybe it's time for Cadillac to break with tradition and put together a really smooth rear drive I-6 as replacement for their rougher and lower torque V-6's.
    They'd have to spend a buck to do that. Plus, we'll be lucky if they're not all in 4-bangers if the ecocult has its way.

I've never driven a BMW I-6, but from the extent that everyone raves about them -- there has to be something to it.

However, they need a N*II worse, IMO...
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

The only negative I have about the Atlas 4.2L I-6 is the fact that it doesn't sound very good like most inline sixes do....it's a very "blah" sounding engine.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO View Post
    how dare you question the awesomeness of the wagon?!

out of all those negatives all i saw was "Bravada is pushing alot more wind due to ride height!"
    Whether you consider them negative or positive is at your discretion, not mine. The three points are merely an efficiency comparison between the two.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

No the aerodynamics is a good point for sure.

Serious question though: how does AWD affect fuel mileage, other than weight (which since they're about the same, wouldn't be much of a factor would it?). Is it more unsprung weight vs a RWD setup or something? I'm not really familiar - I live in FL

Most of the difference is from the extra mechanical drag through more moving parts. An AWD system delivers torque to all wheels at the same time, but at varying rates to make it less detectable from behind the wheel.

Now, the gap in mpgs between 2wd and awd has certainly closed with the implementation of extra control through the use of pcm controlled clutch packs and viscous couplings, but you are still always turning another axle over 2wd. If you look up a vehicle with optional AWD, the AWD variant is almost always rated 1-2mpg's less in all driving conditions.

Somewhat off topic: My "new" (a while ago) job may offer $400/mo and mileage pay to purchase my own truck for work so they don't have to expand their fleet of Silverados. I've been eyeing up the I-6 Trailblazers...

Makes sense.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White
    Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post

Somewhat off topic: My "new" (a while ago) job may offer $400/mo and mileage pay to purchase my own truck for work so they don't have to expand their fleet of Silverados. I've been eyeing up the I-6 Trailblazers...
    Sweet deal!

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Make sure to check your insurance coverage, that using it for work won't be an issue.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Quote Originally Posted by hueterm View Post
    Make sure to check your insurance coverage, that using it for work won't be an issue.
    Yeah, I'll start looking deeper into everything when the time comes. For now, just keeping everything in the back of my mind.

Really, I'd rather not acquire another vehicle, especially a truck. I don't have any interest in a truck outside of work (except for my '66 project, whose age disqualifies it from being eligible to use for the company). The time savings make it appealing though. For the next few years, I'll be working on the I-94 project between the IL border and Milwaukee. I live only minutes from ground zero, but live 40 minutes, one way, the WRONG way, to "headquarters". As it is now, I have to drive to headquarters in the car, load up the truck with equipment, and pretty much trace most of my route back home to get to the job site - eating at least an hour and a half of my morning. Ditto for evening when I have to head back, unload, and drive home.

But back on topic, the I-6 is really something I'm considering for all of those qualities I mentioned earlier. For me, when an I-6 is available, the other options pale in comparison.

And yeah, I agree with Chad on the sound of the 4200 Vortec. Must be the way they designed the stock exhaust because I think they sound pretty good when opened up:

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

There's no reason why an I-6 can't sound pretty good with a proper tuned exhaust system. I never heard anyone complain about how an Jaguar E-type sounded back in the day when exhaust note was very important.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Yeah, I'll start looking deeper into everything when the time comes. For now, just keeping everything in the back of my mind.

Really, I'd rather not acquire another vehicle, especially a truck. I don't have any interest in a truck outside of work (except for my '66 project, whose age disqualifies it from being eligible to use for the company). The time savings make it appealing though. For the next few years, I'll be working on the I-94 project between the IL border and Milwaukee. I live only minutes from ground zero, but live 40 minutes, one way, the WRONG way, to "headquarters". As it is now, I have to drive to headquarters in the car, load up the truck with equipment, and pretty much trace most of my route back home to get to the job site - eating at least an hour and a half of my morning. Ditto for evening when I have to head back, unload, and drive home.

But back on topic, the I-6 is really something I'm considering for all of those qualities I mentioned earlier. For me, when an I-6 is available, the other options pale in comparison.

And yeah, I agree with Chad on the sound of the 4200 Vortec. Must be the way they designed the stock exhaust because I think they sound pretty good when opened up:

Be sure to check out the tax ramifications of this subsidized ownership scheme of your company's truck plan. If your primary work site is close to your house and your travel to the headquarters is irregular and part of your job your mileage their is probably deductible. I would believe your cost of in excess of the companies contribution would also be deductible, but check all the ramifications out before you make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Be sure to check out the tax ramifications of this subsidized ownership scheme of your company's truck plan. If your primary work site is close to your house and your travel to the headquarters is irregular and part of your job your mileage their is probably deductible. I would believe your cost of in excess of the companies contribution would also be deductible, but check all the ramifications out before you make a decision.
    Yeah, it'll be a while, but thanks.

If I can make it through the season taking THEIR vehicle home, the whole thing isn't gonna happen. That's gonna get harder though as the season unfolds. Really, even the current situation isn't terrible or abnormal. As soon as I get to headquarters I'm on the clock... and there are a lot of people out there with morning commutes longer than 40 minutes. It's hard to explain without describing a typical day in detail, but the company buying me a truck will make things more convenient for both me and them - it would eliminate the need for them to pay me the extra travel time, to load and unload every day, it would free up some of the fleet, and it would eliminate my morning commute, meaning I have more time to make money. So the whole thing definitely has my attention. Just gotta do some homework.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I'd love another inline six.....trouble is finding a car that I like that carries it and makes for a good daily driver during the winters. The S-Class was perfect in the snow because it was so heavy, didn't have a ton of power to get you in trouble and had a suspension designed by the gods in stuttgart to handle the Alps and snowy northern European climate. Most other cars with I-6's are smaller and RWD, and the only alternative I can think of right now that meets the AWD + I-6 critera would be an AWD 3 Series.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Nissan R34.

Rob a bank now.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

My experiences with I-6 motors were all good really. '87 Mercedes 300E (2 of them actually)and my '97 S320 were fantastic motors that really felt strong on the top end despite actual hp numbers. Both were pushing quite a bit of weight in large sedans and both performed exceptionally. Then there were the slant 6's and 60's Ford I-6 motors which performed poorly as far as excitement goes but were EXTREMELY reliable............a trait we rarely hear of in a Cadillac forum these days. The older I-6 motors found in 50's and 60's cars were abrasive. The didn't rev high and were dull but the foreign jobs were exciting, efficient and all around good!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.