Cadillac Gripe
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac Gripe in General Discussion; I'm a guy over 50 and 6'4", again, I am not being marketed to. Cadillac does not give a SHAT ...
    02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006

Cadillac Gripe

I'm a guy over 50 and 6'4", again, I am not being marketed to. Cadillac does not give a SHAT about me or my demography. They advertise for women. Not offering an 8 cyl is death to the STS. I am a taller person and CTS is too small. I never liked the transverse mounted front wheel drive in the Eldo or Deville but I had several of them. This is another end to the good ole days. I'll be one of those old farts 20 years from now with an STS V under a cover in my garage (next to my vette). Now Hyundai has a luxury 8, and my watch cost more!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Re: Cadillac Gripe

Excellent post! I agree totally with everything you said (except that I am 48 and 5' 10") I can't believe that they killed off the V8 STS and the XLR. I'll bet the XLS or ALS or whatever they call it will only be a V6 as well. I too will probably pick up a STS-V in a year or two.

mbnv992 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4 V8 (sold), 2005 STS V6 1SC

I was 23 when I bought my STS brand new at the end of 2008 ( it was a 2007 leftover model ), they were pushing me to go with a CTS. I'm 6'2", and I found the CTS to be very uncomfortable. My knees were up in the dash somewhere, didn't really like the gauge look, and the center console buttons were very small / awkward to use. So, I asked them if they had any STS's in stock. They only had one. A base model (1SE) V8 in Silver with 48 miles on the ODO. I ended up buying that car. LOVED the look / space / feel, etc. of the STS MUCH more than that of the new CTS by FAR. Sucks they are discontinuing the STS, and it looks like the STS's replacement, the XTS, will most likely NOT come with a V8, OR RWD.

I've since sold my STS (I overpaid for that car my about $20 large lol), but just convinced my mom to get into an STS (a 2005 V6 model), and she LOVES it. These cars are SUPER cheap used, hell I should have bought mine used, and saved a TON of money lol

Anyway, I agree 100% with the OP.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by mbnv992 View Post
    Sucks they are discontinuing the STS, and it looks like the STS's replacement, the XTS, will most likely NOT come with a V8, OR RWD.

I've since sold my STS (I overpaid for that car my about $20 large lol), but just convinced my mom to get into an STS (a 2005 V6 model), and she LOVES it. These cars are SUPER cheap used, hell I should have bought mine used, and saved a TON of money lol

Anyway, I agree 100% with the OP.
    and there is the issue
    Based on how "SUPER" cheap these cars are used..I would have to speculate if GM was really making any money on them...I would further say that they were taking it in the shorts when the lease returns came in

Sounds like you guys are looking for a full sized luxury car

Imports are the only way you have to go these days

I suggest a Lexus LS...that seems to have picked up a lot of the demographic that bought Cadillacs 20 years ago

The Hyundai genesis V8 is also a very nice car..and unlike the Cadillac seems to be holding resale value

Their new Eqqus...aimed at the Lexus LS..is also quite a value sticker ed in the high $50's...its less expensive, sticker wise than a loaded V8 STS was and is a better car in every way

Warren

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006

No nissan, toyota, Lexus MB BMW or Hyundai for me. I've have been there and will pass. Looks like Ford. Lincoln

bbjorklund99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS, 2008 Escalade EXT

The technology in the past 10-15 years as improved to the point where they are getting V8 power from the V6's. If they can get the same horsepower out of a V6 as the current V8 then why would they continue to build the V8 at a higher cost? I purchased a 4 stroke Yamaha snowmobile and got nothing but grief from all my 2-stoke buddies about how heavy and slow it was. They were looking at spec sheets and had not bothered to ride one. I told them to ditch the spec sheets and let's race them on the lake. After I blew their doors off they were talking a different story. I guess my point is that rather than getting worked up about the V8 going away I would encourage you to drive one and then make the decision based on your test drive not spec sheets and speculation. The 6 cylinder cars in the 70, 80, and 90's were gutless but many of the 6 cylinders from today are producing more HP and Torque than the V8's of that era and weigh half as much. I have not driven the 2010 or 2011 V6 but I understand they have a lot more power than the 2005-2007 V6 and I am not complaining about the V6 in my 2006. If the engine can produce the needed HP and torque and is reliable than what difference does it make if it is a V6 or a V8. Just my 2 cents worth.

Brad

jordan00escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade, 2002 Deville DTS

They should continue to make V8's cause that's what the consumers demand. At one point, Cadillac insisted that they only make luxury cars, and be exempt from the Truck/SUV market. They seen how much money Lincoln was making and the Escalade was born. What it may take is for them to see the other manufacturers profit in the FULLSIZE Sedan (V8) market. Just because Cadillac stops making full size luxury sedans, doesn't mean people will stop buying them. If you let history tell the story.. The Fullsize V8 luxury sedan established the Cadillac name. Power, Class, Full size.. Those are my past and present thoughts of the Cadillac name, who knows what the future holds..

I honestly think the V8's will be back in time. Too many consumers WANT V8's, supply and demand.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

V6s sound like a$$.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

not only that, v8s can be SMOOTHER than v6's.

Think about it, if theyve advanced technology to the point where a v6 can perform like a v8 used to, doesnt it make sense they can make a v8 perform much better than before as well? In this way, they can make v8's with slightly less displacement more power, and very smooth.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I'm moving this discussion into the "general" area as I believe it covers more than just the STS..

Quote Originally Posted by 02603sec View Post
    I'm a guy over 50 and 6'4", again, I am not being marketed to. Cadillac does not give a SHAT about me or my demography. They advertise for women. Not offering an 8 cyl is death to the STS. I am a taller person and CTS is too small. I never liked the transverse mounted front wheel drive in the Eldo or Deville but I had several of them. This is another end to the good ole days. I'll be one of those old farts 20 years from now with an STS V under a cover in my garage (next to my vette). Now Hyundai has a luxury 8, and my watch cost more!
    The STS IS dead. It's being replaced (in a few years) by the CTS - which is growing in size to better compete with cars like the BMW 5-Series and Mercedes E-Class.. Why they don't just call it STS is beyond me (and most other people). The interior will be as large as the outgoing STS and will have a 315 or so horsepower V6. The torque won't exactly be there but it'll be close. There MAY be a twin turbo V6 coming - but the CTS-V will probably be what you want as it'll have a new V8 that GM has been working on...

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    Excellent post! I agree totally with everything you said (except that I am 48 and 5' 10") I can't believe that they killed off the V8 STS and the XLR. I'll bet the XLS or ALS or whatever they call it will only be a V6 as well. I too will probably pick up a STS-V in a year or two.
    The Cadillac XTS is a replacement for the DTS and will not have a V8. The Cadillac ATS is a new entry-level vehicle and will have a V8 for the V-Series version. Why they don't just call the ATS CTS and the XTS DTS is also beyond me...

Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    and there is the issue
    Based on how "SUPER" cheap these cars are used..I would have to speculate if GM was really making any money on them...I would further say that they were taking it in the shorts when the lease returns came in

Sounds like you guys are looking for a full sized luxury car

Imports are the only way you have to go these days

I suggest a Lexus LS...that seems to have picked up a lot of the demographic that bought Cadillacs 20 years ago

The Hyundai genesis V8 is also a very nice car..and unlike the Cadillac seems to be holding resale value

Their new Eqqus...aimed at the Lexus LS..is also quite a value sticker ed in the high $50's...its less expensive, sticker wise than a loaded V8 STS was and is a better car in every way

Warren
    All the cars you've mentioned are quite nice and I'm waiting for Cadillac to have something like them as well.. Add me to the list of people not happy with what Cadillac has to offer (besides the CTS-V - which is really not my idea of a luxury car. Neither is M5 or E63 AMG).

Quote Originally Posted by bbjorklund99 View Post
    The technology in the past 10-15 years as improved to the point where they are getting V8 power from the V6's. If they can get the same horsepower out of a V6 as the current V8 then why would they continue to build the V8 at a higher cost? I purchased a 4 stroke Yamaha snowmobile and got nothing but grief from all my 2-stoke buddies about how heavy and slow it was. They were looking at spec sheets and had not bothered to ride one. I told them to ditch the spec sheets and let's race them on the lake. After I blew their doors off they were talking a different story. I guess my point is that rather than getting worked up about the V8 going away I would encourage you to drive one and then make the decision based on your test drive not spec sheets and speculation. The 6 cylinder cars in the 70, 80, and 90's were gutless but many of the 6 cylinders from today are producing more HP and Torque than the V8's of that era and weigh half as much. I have not driven the 2010 or 2011 V6 but I understand they have a lot more power than the 2005-2007 V6 and I am not complaining about the V6 in my 2006. If the engine can produce the needed HP and torque and is reliable than what difference does it make if it is a V6 or a V8. Just my 2 cents worth.

Brad
    I do believe today's six cylinder cars are giving a very close-to V8 experience.. The torque isn't exactly there and you CAN feel that on the highway - especially considering the fact that cars are getting very heavy these days... So it's "good" - or "good enough" - but certainly not "great". Everyone else still has "great". It would be nice if the "Standard of the World" had "great" too... But I'm just a big F'ing whiner. So don't pay any attention to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan00escalade View Post
    They should continue to make V8's cause that's what the consumers demand. At one point, Cadillac insisted that they only make luxury cars, and be exempt from the Truck/SUV market. They seen how much money Lincoln was making and the Escalade was born. What it may take is for them to see the other manufacturers profit in the FULLSIZE Sedan (V8) market. Just because Cadillac stops making full size luxury sedans, doesn't mean people will stop buying them. If you let history tell the story.. The Fullsize V8 luxury sedan established the Cadillac name. Power, Class, Full size.. Those are my past and present thoughts of the Cadillac name, who knows what the future holds..

I honestly think the V8's will be back in time. Too many consumers WANT V8's, supply and demand.
    I agree.. Everybody else has them.. I think Cadillac will have a good V8 again in the future. Who knows when?
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

To get the degree of smoothness and torque required of a "luxury" car at least a V-8 or a strong I-6 is required.
    V-6's just don't have the refinement for a luxury car motor.

bbjorklund99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS, 2008 Escalade EXT

It is all about the numbers. GM spends millions of dollars every year doing market research and determining what configuration will sell and what won't. There are people who currently own imports that would never buy a Cadillac even if it is better than their current import and would save them $20,000. Those are not the people that Cadillac is targeting. There are also the group who will not buy a Cadillac unless it has a V8 motor. If that group is a very small part of the market segment and the cost of offering the V8 motor does not justify the R&D or added manufacturing costs they may decide not to offer the V8 as an option. I worked for a company that manufactured construction equipment for 12 years and we made decisions based on competition, cost of tooling, inventory costs, market share, and customer retention. The people on this forum are passionate about their cars but if that number is not large enough to warrant the production of a certain model they will discontinue that model. Like everyone else on the forum I love the STS but the reality is that my voice may not be heard. It is all about making cars they can sell and making money doing so. The majority of people who drive cars could not tell the difference between a V6 and a V8. They are looking for a car that meets their needs and could careless about the technical specs of the engine, transmission, or whatever else.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO View Post
    not only that, v8s can be SMOOTHER than v6's.

Think about it, if theyve advanced technology to the point where a v6 can perform like a v8 used to, doesnt it make sense they can make a v8 perform much better than before as well? In this way, they can make v8's with slightly less displacement more power, and very smooth.
    I completely agree. The sames goes for the "there's no replacement for displacement" argument that comes from the import crowd. They all talk about superchargers and turbochargers - but are they forgetting that large displacement engines would perform even better with forced induction?

Quote Originally Posted by bbjorklund99 View Post
    It is all about the numbers. GM spends millions of dollars every year doing market research and determining what configuration will sell and what won't. There are people who currently own imports that would never buy a Cadillac even if it is better than their current import and would save them $20,000. Those are not the people that Cadillac is targeting. There are also the group who will not buy a Cadillac unless it has a V8 motor. If that group is a very small part of the market segment and the cost of offering the V8 motor does not justify the R&D or added manufacturing costs they may decide not to offer the V8 as an option. I worked for a company that manufactured construction equipment for 12 years and we made decisions based on competition, cost of tooling, inventory costs, market share, and customer retention. The people on this forum are passionate about their cars but if that number is not large enough to warrant the production of a certain model they will discontinue that model. Like everyone else on the forum I love the STS but the reality is that my voice may not be heard. It is all about making cars they can sell and making money doing so. The majority of people who drive cars could not tell the difference between a V6 and a V8. They are looking for a car that meets their needs and could careless about the technical specs of the engine, transmission, or whatever else.

Brad
    You make perfect sense but don't forget that vehicles like the top of the line 7-Series and S-Class (760Li and S65 AMG) don't sell much - but they're halo cars that bring people into dealerships to buy less expensive vehicles. Many of these people aspire to own the more expensive cars one day... After the DTS - which is a 300 horsepower car with front wheel drive - where do you go? Nowhere (at Cadillac). That's a problem. And it will continue to be a problem until close to 2020...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    I think Cadillac will have a good V8 again in the future. Who knows when?
    They have some now but they are Chevies as found in the CTS-V and Escalade. A formula they need to stick with. Cadillac should NEVER have it's own V8 again. History will show that over the last (almost) 40 years, Cadillac sucks at having it's own motors. The 4.5 I hear was decent but pretty much everything else was junk. That's a long time to earn a horrendously bad reputation (hence abnormal rapid depreciation). I like the 429/472/500 motors of yore but they did have oiling issues so it could be said that Cadillac NEVER really had a "good" motor.

I don't care if the engine comes from Hyundai, Playskool or Fisher Price.. If it works, it works. They can call the engine "Penis" if they want. I'm not one of those people who needs to have a "special" engine in my vehicle. If it works the way I want it to, I don't care if Adolf Hitler makes it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.