Cadillac Compact Car - What Are Your Thoughts? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac Compact Car - What Are Your Thoughts? in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Jesda Stuffing the Cruze with Cadillac furniture, as they did with the Equinox to create the SRX, ...
    drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Cadillac Compact Car - What Are Your Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

Stuffing the Cruze with Cadillac furniture, as they did with the Equinox to create the SRX, like they did with the Saab 9-3 to create the BLS, isn't good enough to win over BMW owners, but I'm sure someone at GM is thinking about doing it anyway.

So, to summarize:
    Tarted up Cruze will not work.
    RWD or AWD 1-series/3-series competitor will work.
    This. GM never gets it right the first time. They have to try the easy way out first, even if it's nearly guaranteed failure. I think there IS a market for a luxury compact, even with Cadillac's name on it, but I don't have faith that they'd do it right if they tried. If THAT's what was meant by the Chevy Cruze argument, then I agree 100%.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    Well, the CTS has gotten heavier and bigger, so now the CTS is encroaching on 5-series territory, making room for a smaller Cadillac. One thing that helped sell the CTS even back in 2003 was that it offered near-5-series space for 3-series money.

The 3-series really is a lot smaller inside. EPA calls the 3-series a compact and calls the CTS a midsize.
    Even though the (nearly) retired DTS is called 'full-size', it is an example of how car sizes have been re-defined & downsized. The STS is an authentic mid-size. The XTS will not be much bigger than the STS but will be called full-size. The CTS feels and is smaller than mid-size. Look at all the cross-overs and imagine how they will do the same thing to SUV's & Mini-vans.

The poblem with a Cadillac 'compact' is just how small it would have to be. How can it not be a matchbox?

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Indeed, it will definitely be tiny, but that's exactly what sport-luxury buyers are looking for. They're usually guys in their mid 20s to late 30s who still have a taste for sporty cars but want to show off some of what they've achieved with a luxury badge.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

The 3 Series would be the benchmark to shoot for in terms of size. It's small, but it's not "tiny". When someone says "tiny car" I picture a Fiesta, Aveo, Cruze or Focus. No true luxury car should ever be that small.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

I think some subcompacts have more interior volume than the 3-coupe.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Yes, but that's because a lot of them are hatchbacks. They may be roomy inside, but a lot of those cars are tiny outside, and they don't project the image that the typical buyer of a luxury sport sedan wants. Like you said in your earlier post, these are cars bought by a lot of 25-35 year old men, who want to show they still love a sporty car, but want to show their hard work has paid off buy owning a luxury brand. Brand image & equity is huge in this segment, and it won't show with a tiny car. That's probably a lot of the reasoning why the A3 doesn't sell well and why Mercedes has never imported the A-Class.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Yeah thats definitely true

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

3 Series has never projected the image of a small car despite its interior volume. It comes across as having just the right size for what it intends to do.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

The 3 series BMW has evolved from a small "nimble" car to a mid size hephalump that could hardly be called "sporty" except in its' most expensive iterations. In this category Cadillac already has the CTS, a smaller nimbler car would have to be a very good handler to have any chance in this segment. It would also have to have very good looks (BMW and Japanese makers have given Cadillac a real opening here) to become a "prestige" entry in these ranks. So far Cadillac has failed miserably in coming up with a competitor in the sub-compact category.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

im guilty of skipping a couple of pages, so forgive if this has been said.

Yes, Cadillac is getting away from the land yacht image but econoboxes are just that, econo boxes. I doubt the lexus hybrid gets as good mileage as it really could. if it does its probably a crappy lexus compared to any other lexus. The reason is quality usually equals weight, and weight hurts economy.

To be honest, if done right, i think a cadillac compact would sell well, but it would cheapen the brand. Sal, you mentioned in another post that youd like to see cadillac produce less units at higher revenue instead of more units with less revenue per unit. I agree. Even, as you said, if that means i can no longer afford a cadillac. Bringing out a compact/hybrid Cadillac would be the thing to do if they wanted to take a crack at the luxury-eco-compact market, and make some money.But, how many compact Rolls Royces or Bentleys are out there?

agp
    agp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6L Sport | R1 drilled/slotted

I think people who are extensively concerned about getting something affordable probably wouldn't get Cadillacs.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by agp View Post
    I think people who are extensively concerned about getting something affordable probably wouldn't get Cadillacs.
    And that's the way things should be. I think 35k is a good entry point for the new ATS, so even by the time you talk the dealer down/incentives on that base base base ATS, you're still looking at 30k out the door minimum for the cheapest Cadillac.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

30k ain't what used to be, car price wise. Cads should start at around 40k at the least. Let Buick sell in the 30k to 40k range. Upper echelon Cads should sell from $60,000 on up. Of course it goes without saying that they should be worth their price!

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

The Lexus CT200h does get 40+ miles per gallon - but it's not much of a "luxury" car. It IS the nicest car out there to get 40+ MPG - but it's not luxury. The leather is cheaper than other Lexus vehicles, the materials inside are a bit cheaper, etcetera.. It's a nice looking car inside and out (in my opinion) - but it's not a luxury car. It's a car made by a luxury manufacturer.. So you'll get the luxury customer service experience - and probably good Lexus reliability - but the car isn't very luxurious...

I don't think we should ever compare Cadillac to Bentley or Rolls Royce. Cadillac is never going to be competitive with those makes unless they take a huge step down the later, beneath brands like Mercedes and BMW.

Cadillac should simply have the most expensive luxury compact vehicle available at GM. And, of course, it should be of the highest quality.

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO View Post
    im guilty of skipping a couple of pages, so forgive if this has been said.

Yes, Cadillac is getting away from the land yacht image but econoboxes are just that, econo boxes. I doubt the lexus hybrid gets as good mileage as it really could. if it does its probably a crappy lexus compared to any other lexus. The reason is quality usually equals weight, and weight hurts economy.

To be honest, if done right, i think a cadillac compact would sell well, but it would cheapen the brand. Sal, you mentioned in another post that youd like to see cadillac produce less units at higher revenue instead of more units with less revenue per unit. I agree. Even, as you said, if that means i can no longer afford a cadillac. Bringing out a compact/hybrid Cadillac would be the thing to do if they wanted to take a crack at the luxury-eco-compact market, and make some money.But, how many compact Rolls Royces or Bentleys are out there?
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.