Cadillac Compact Car - What Are Your Thoughts? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac Compact Car - What Are Your Thoughts? in General Discussion; Good Lord that is ugly! Compact Cadillac is blasphemy. It brings back memories of Cimarron and Catera. We all know ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Cadillac Compact Car - What Are Your Thoughts?

Good Lord that is ugly!

Compact Cadillac is blasphemy. It brings back memories of Cimarron and Catera. We all know what happened there. I don't think a (Lord forgive me) compact Cadillac will sell.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

both those cars make me want to puke. the cadillac smart car is just wrong- in so many ways I cant begin to explain (well I could, but the post would be a page long)
    as for the one thats cobalt sized, it would be ok, but it needs to be at least 2 feet longer, more low slung, rwd, have a rock solid 6 cylinder (4's in a caddy would make me puke) and have an actual trunk. hell, might as well scrap that one and start from scratch.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Cadillac does not need a compact car IMO. Throw a diesel in the ATS and let it get 35-40mpg. BMW sells a smaller displacement 3 series diesel in Europe that gets 40mpg+, the one they sell in the US market is the larger displacement performance diesel and only gets 30-35mpg.

People associate Cadillac as a larger car, a car of substance and presence. Slapping the badge on any FWD econocar, no matter how nice, is a slap in the face to the heritage of the brand.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Cadillac does not need a compact car IMO. Throw a diesel in the ATS and let it get 35-40mpg. BMW sells a smaller displacement 3 series diesel in Europe that gets 40mpg+, the one they sell in the US market is the larger displacement performance diesel and only gets 30-35mpg.

People associate Cadillac as a larger car, a car of substance and presence. Slapping the badge on any FWD econocar, no matter how nice, is a slap in the face to the heritage of the brand.
    This echoes my thoughts precisely, and the diesel thing ain't a bad idea. In fact, it's not out of the question for GM to just get the same motor from BMW, or any other potential Euro partner.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Ya know... I'm worried about gas prices.. I get this feeling we're going to be seeing rising prices for awhile - and a possibility that they may get REALLY high and stay there. Especially as the rest of the world stops using the dollar and a standard...

So.. There are some pretty good alternatives out there.. The new Hyundai Accent gets a combined 50 miles per gallon (amazing - it's not even a hybrid). The new Elantra gets 40. We all know about the Prius, Volt and Leaf or whatever..

Lexus has the CT 200h that gets over 40 miles per gallon - and that looks to be a pretty luxurious little car (soft surfaces, nice leather, nice instrumentation, etcetera).

What's there for us Cadillac owners? What if you're worried enough about gas prices (amongst everything else) that your next car is going to be a compact or subcompact? And what if you don't want to stop driving a Cadillac? Cadillac has distinct styling that you can't get anywhere else.. Inside and out..

I don't "like" the thoughts of a compact Cadillac - but I think it may be necessary.. Hell, if the sh*t does hit the fan and gas costs $6.00 per gallon or worse - I'd rather have a small Cadillac than a Prius - or even a Volt.

Any thoughts?
    Get a used Cimarron.

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

As Bob Dylan said, "The times, they are a changing."

Fact is, Cadillac was associated with large land yachts decades ago. They've been trying to change that image for years. The American automotive dichotomy is moving towards smaller cars with higher gas prices attacking one flank and CAFE attacking the other. It's an inevitability. It doesn't mean that bigger cars will go away.

Telling someone you drive a compact car used to mean you were in a Pacer, Gremlin, Vega, or other P.O.S. No one will look down on someone for driving a Fit (an Aveo, on the other hand...).

Substance and presence is not mutually exclusive with large and RWD (though it helps), and Cadillac doesn't have BMW's RWD-only heritage. That can be seen as a good thing. I'd guess a majority of consumers could care less which wheels do the work, and the only reason I brought up the Cadismart concept was if Cadillac really felt the need to go after the 1-Series (with the ATS aiming at the 3-Series and CTS at the 5-Series). Yes, the Cadismart is probably smaller (I didn't actually look up any specs) but that's why I said lengthen it a bit.

Slapping a badge on a Cavalier and adding leather seats is a slap in the face. Putting some effort into a car to make it distinctive even though it may share the same platform is not. It's a tough line to walk, but it could be pulled off.

Then you'd have to make sure it's not stepping on Buick's toes, but that's a whole other problem GM's paying marketing people to think of while I play armchair-CEO.

Ironically enough, even RWD titan BMW is about to be saddled with that Mini based FWD abomination. Nothing is sacred anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    Ironically enough, even RWD titan BMW is about to be saddled with that Mini based FWD abomination. Nothing is sacred anymore.
    Eh, BMW has been in the shitter since 2002 IMO. The ONLY reason I still like this company is that they haven't pissed in the Cheerios of the 3 series owners with weird styling or limp handling. In fact they've made the 3 series better than ever with the new turbo inline six motors. The M models have been pretty sweet over the past 10 years as well, even if the previous gen M5 and M6 are still a bit strange looking.

As for their new FWD entry level, I see this being a flop like the Audi A3, BMW E36 318ti, Benz W203 c230 hatchback thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Eh, BMW has been in the shitter since 2002 IMO. The ONLY reason I still like this company is that they haven't pissed in the Cheerios of the 3 series owners with weird styling or limp handling. In fact they've made the 3 series better than ever with the new turbo inline six motors. The M models have been pretty sweet over the past 10 years as well, even if the previous gen M5 and M6 are still a bit strange looking.

As for their new FWD entry level, I see this being a flop like the Audi A3, BMW E36 318ti, Benz W203 c230 hatchback thingy.
    I am a BMW fanatic (though not a fanboi and there IS a difference) but even I would agree that the E9x 3 Series is about all they've got left worth a damn. For SUV lovers like me, the new X3, X5 and the associated M Sport version are also nice, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    I am a BMW fanatic (though not a fanboi and there IS a difference) but even I would agree that the E9x 3 Series is about all they've got left worth a damn. For SUV lovers like me, the new X3, X5 and the associated M Sport version are also nice, but that's it.
    Eh, I hate SUV's anyways unless its something like a straight axle 4-Runner, Jeep Wrangler, K-5 Blazer, Rover Defender 90, Benz Galdenwagon, H1 Hummer or some other such beasty truck. As such I hate on road SUV's like the X5, although the sheer sillyness of something being stupid fast like an M-X5 or an SRT-8 Jeep is kind of fun. Of course anything with a 400+hp v8 is going to be silly fun though.

EDIT: Sorry for dragging the thread so far off course. Had to talk about something more interesting and less blasphemous than a compact Cadillac.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Nope.

Why water down the fine name of Cadillac with small vehicles built for a trend and a current need that will diminish as time passes. Cadillac tried this in '82 with the Cimarron and it failed and only added to Cadillacs' troubles in the mid '80s. They've been out of production since 1988 and we're still making jokes about them!

Cadillac is about making big luxury cars, sporty luxury cars. Cars that are fun to drive, fun to own and fun to dream about owning. Nobody dreams about owning an econocar. Leave that stuff to the other brands. Besides, it seems as though most people that are able to afford a new Cadillac are well financed and would have the money for a few different cars, meaning they'd still have their Cadillac, but would able to afford a little puddle jumper to save gas.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

It's a common mistake to automatically categorize a compact car as an "econocar". Those aren't necessarily synonymous.

Just like everyone else, Cadillac will need to prepare for the future, whatever that may be. Just because Cadillac was known for big luxury cars in the past doesn't mean it is guaranteed to succeed in continuing that tradition in the future. It's always about keeping up with the times. Living in the past for traditions sake or because "it's what they are about" is downright silly.

Advancement and progress: they are good things. As a business in need of profit, it's important to remain competitive, not traditional.

The DTS was very traditional for Cadillac, it's exactly "what they are about", look how well that did.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Yeah, I guess there's always the Audi A3, but that's only sold as a hatchback, and it doesn't sell well..
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    It's a common mistake to automatically categorize a compact car as an "econocar". Those aren't necessarily synonymous.
    If it's a common mistake, then it's an even more common perception, and that's a problem for a luxury brand.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Using Sal's example which drives his question, Lexus is a popular luxury brand who's image is anything but tainted by it's compact luxury offerings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.