What would be better for Cadillac's future? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What would be better for Cadillac's future? in General Discussion; I'm onboard with that. Alright, let's do this!...
    Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Re: What would be better for Cadillac's future?

I'm onboard with that. Alright, let's do this!

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

^ I do concede a point that based on pure prestige and snobbery, that Cadillac should use a v8 that is significantly different from a Chevy truck v8. Even if that Chevy truck motor is so damn awesome that it would work extremely well in a Cadillac.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    There is one car that is a glaring rebuttal to the above statement. In 1976 Cadillac introduced the Seville which utilized the chassis of the lower echelon Chevy Nova of that period. But in this case Cadillac went back to the drawing board to design a "true" Cadillac to be built around the Nova's body shell. The car they came up with was a step forward in design and technology and one that employed materials that were higher quality than those use on contemporary full sized Cadillacs. What resulted was a car that was superior to other Cadillac offerings of that year, but was considerably smaller, yet much more elegantly designed and would head the 1976 Cadillac line up in price. The 1976 Cadillac Seville became an instant success on both Coasts and was ubiquitous in the parking lots of establishments popular with the wealthiest Americans. To be honest, the '76-'79 Seville was probably the last Cadillac, or American car of any make, to give the European luxury car makers real competition in the high priced field!
    That Seville certainly was nice, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    Yes, but the key difference is that the Seville was *NOT* a compact car. For that matter, you could use the Continental, which had been a re-bodied Taurus since the mid-80s, but can be considered a sales success. The problem with the Cimarron was that it was not only a light rehash of the Cavalier, but that it was ALSO a COMPACT series car on TOP of that. You can have one of those, but you can NOT have both, and that's why the Cimarron failed.
    I think Cadillac can get away with using another platform for a compact car - it just needs to be something really classy.. The design is very important. The Cimarron was such a failure partially because the the J-Bodies were pretty bad to begin with (see quote below) and it looked too similar to a Cavalier - inside and out. It was the same car. If Cadillac can simply use the same platform but differentiate it enough, I think it can work.

As a side note - it can't really be "luxurious" and get "great" gas mileage. I'm intrigued by the new Lexus CT200h. It's a nice looking car in and out. However, it's not a "luxury" car as far as I'm concerned. The leather doesn't feel very nice. The soft-touch interior pieces are very thin (they might as well not be soft touch).. You're just not going to get a very luxurious experience out of a car that needs to be so light and get 40+ miles per gallon. But the car looks very good (especially for a little hatchback) and I BET it'll sell. I think a similar Cadillac can do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    Plus, as far as compacts go, the J-bodies were particularly awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    This topic has been brought up before and it's a good one. If you look at the automotive buying habits from post WW2 to the late 70s/early80s you'll see that in many ways people were buying a "Cadillac" lifestyle, even though the division never really marketed such a thing. I've seen BMW and MB dealers selling respective jackets, t-shirts, cookbooks, club memberships, etc, and "maybe" this is something Cadillac should look into.

First things first. Cars like the CTS-V have to retain their "bite" and horsepower, and strive to maintain roadworthiness. They're a great start but Cadillac needs to maintain this. If they do, and make certain other changes, I think that they'll be able to command higher prices and develop a lifestyle following.
    I like the idea of a Cadillac "lifestyle". This type of thing certainly sells a lot of BMW and Mercedes vehicles...

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    it looks like for the foreseeable future we're gonna get Acura'ed to death with a whole slew of four and six cylinder engines, ONE halo performance car with OHV power and a gussied up Tahoe (the only real "fancy" Chevy, along with the Fleetwood that has existed in recent history). The brand has completely lost any aspiration to build a full size car with a proper V8 to compete on a world stage, and that's a problem. Also, just because the Fleetwood was Cadillac's largest (and arguably best) car in the '90s, even many Cadillac execs did NOT acknowledge that as the brand's flagship. That honor frequently was bestowed upon the Seville due to it's technological content. Same goes for the Escalade, which while the Fleetwood's closest spiritual successor, is not considered a flagship vehicle.

I have NEVER faulted Cadillac for going FWD, nor have I ever faulted them for what they were trying to achieve with the N* engine project... I fault them for doing a typically GM-shitty job at it.
    I'm upset with the whole Acurazation of Cadillac lately as well. I don't get why Cadillac, of all the GM brands, needs to be stuck with V6s. It's supposed to be the most expensive and exclusive brand at GM. Let all the other brands sell cars with small engines to make up for the few sold at Cadillac with big engines to meet CAFE regulations.

I'm sure PLENTY of people will still buy Cadillacs with V6 engines if V8s are available. Hell, they do with the CTS. Right? Make a full-size premium Cadillac with a V8, a V6 and a damn 4 cylinder if you have to. But don't take the V8s away from those of us who won't buy another Cadillac without one!

As for the Seville STS being the flagship from 1994-1996 when the Fleetwood was on dealer lots... Imagine the Fleetwood got an update in 1997 with the technology that went into the 1998 Seville? Imagine some refining to the exterior to bring the 1997 Fleetwood Brougham up to date along with interior improvements.. That could have been an amazing flagship.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    I do believe that Cadillac's worst enemy has been GM. You would think with the resources that GM has, there wouldn't be a problem, but that's not the case. They just flat out REFUSE to build what needs to be built.
    For whatever reason, they're concentrating on Buick over Cadillac right now.. At least they appear to be doing so. Even Chevy is getting more attention. I really hope they have a few surprises for us very soon. I think sales from the CTS and SRX are going to help bring a better future. The ATS will surely do the same - and hopefully the XTS stop-gap does as well.. After ALL of that - hopefully we'll see a new Cadillac that's more on par with the competition than we've seen in recent decades...

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    This sounds exactly like the "old" GM way of doing things, and it seems like they're doing that with Cadillac right now.

Somebody mentioned that Cadillac is looking at the "Acura" model of building their product/brand.
    They say they want to compete with BMW.. It does seem more like they're aiming for Acura.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    That's actually a really good idea, but instead make it based on the new LS based architecture. DOCH, 6.0 liter displacement, 500hp would be pretty damn sweet. Maybe make a smaller 4.5-5.0 displacement version if it will net us significantly better fuel economy.
    That would be fine for the beginnings of a new flagship. As long as the NVH is handled properly, I really don't see anyone having a problem with the exception of the media.. As long as the car does what it's supposed to - and does it well - it'll get enough attention from customers on the internet to squelch the media enthusiasts.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

That's actually a really good idea, but instead make it based on the new LS based architecture. DOCH, 6.0 liter displacement, 500hp would be pretty damn sweet. Maybe make a smaller 4.5-5.0 displacement version if it will net us significantly better fuel economy.
    I hope someone influential at GM reads these boards. Wrap it in the Sixteen package and BUILD IT. Call it whatever alphanumberic name you want.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Acura sales are down while the rest of the industry is up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.