What would be better for Cadillac's future? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What would be better for Cadillac's future? in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Playdrv4me I'll take 5. Gotta own one to get one. hehehe...
    GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Re: What would be better for Cadillac's future?

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    I'll take 5.
    Gotta own one to get one. hehehe
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Your polo is "personalized" not "auto branded" there's a big difference!
    Whatda ya think dat is above my name??
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I've got all sorts of various automotive branded baseball caps. Ferrari, Cadillac, Lambo, Chevy, Buick, Nissan, Lincoln, etc etc. Also got a BMW t-shirt, a Cadillac t-shirt and a Cadillac sweatshirt.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

I'm kind of on the fence re: apparel. I'm definitely of the opinion that less is more. The problem is that Cadillac's current assortment sucks.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

I'm actually wearing my Lamborghini T-shirt today that I bought at the Lambo dealership during the 2009 Chicago meet.

Current:

Past:

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

How about Rick Hendrick building Cadillacs to race in NASCAR 2013 against the Mustang & Camry?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    How about Rick Hendrick building Cadillacs to race in NASCAR 2013 against the Mustang & Camry?
    that would be awesome! where did you get this brilliant idea?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

IMO Cadillac should try to be what it was..............a fancy Chevy. Put tried and proven powerplants in the car (like the CTS-V). Stop trying to imitate the imports (even Hyundai did a better job). Be what it was...........a solid, upscale GM car that has it's own image, not some Mercedes or BMW clone..

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

So you're asking a luxury brand to throw away any idea of PROGRESS and instead REGRESS 30 years? I don't like these smaller newer cars any more than the next Cadillac guy, but even have to admit that there needs to be variety and progress in the vehicle mix. Cadillac spent DECADES trying to convince the world EXACTLY that it was NOT a "fancy Chevy". They developed Cadillac specific engines because those ancient OHV power plants, while excellent for specialty vehicles, are NOT what mainstream luxury buyers cross-shopping Cadillac with Lexus, Acura and Mercedes expect. And yea, sorry to say, you call yourself Luxury or "near luxury", you gotta compete with MB and BMW... just the way it is.

The problem now is we're headed in a direction where the pissing match of N* versus OHV versus DOHC just plain isn't going to matter, because it looks like for the foreseeable future we're gonna get Acura'ed to death with a whole slew of four and six cylinder engines, ONE halo performance car with OHV power and a gussied up Tahoe (the only real "fancy" Chevy, along with the Fleetwood that has existed in recent history). The brand has completely lost any aspiration to build a full size car with a proper V8 to compete on a world stage, and that's a problem. Also, just because the Fleetwood was Cadillac's largest (and arguably best) car in the '90s, even many Cadillac execs did NOT acknowledge that as the brand's flagship. That honor frequently was bestowed upon the Seville due to it's technological content. Same goes for the Escalade, which while the Fleetwood's closest spiritual successor, is not considered a flagship vehicle.

I have NEVER faulted Cadillac for going FWD, nor have I ever faulted them for what they were trying to achieve with the N* engine project... I fault them for doing a typically GM-shitty job at it.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Well said.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    The problem now is we're headed in a direction where the pissing match of N* versus OHV versus DOHC just plain isn't going to matter, because it looks like for the foreseeable future we're gonna get Acura'ed to death with a whole slew of four and six cylinder engines, ONE halo performance car with OHV power and a gussied up Tahoe (the only real "fancy" Chevy, along with the Fleetwood that has existed in recent history). The brand has completely lost any aspiration to build a full size car with a proper V8 to compete on a world stage, and that's a problem. Also, just because the Fleetwood was Cadillac's largest (and arguably best) car in the '90s, even many Cadillac execs did NOT acknowledge that as the brand's flagship. That honor frequently was bestowed upon the Seville due to it's technological content. Same goes for the Escalade, which while the Fleetwood's closest spiritual successor, is not considered a flagship vehicle.

I have NEVER faulted Cadillac for going FWD, nor have I ever faulted them for what they were trying to achieve with the N* engine project... I fault them for doing a typically GM-shitty job at it.
    I have to agree with you for the most part. Although I've always been of the belief that FWD has no place in the current lineup, I do believe that Cadillac's worst enemy has been GM. You would think with the resources that GM has, there wouldn't be a problem, but that's not the case. They just flat out REFUSE to build what needs to be built.

It's a typical "big corporation" problem. Instead of using a lot their resources and money to expedite Cadillac's growth and development, GM is slowing their developmental progress by sending money and research to other brands, while restricting Cadillac's growth and development with their "corporate restrictions". Smaller independent manufacturers, such as BMW, Mercedes and perhaps Spyker are a lot smaller and don't have all the restrictions and corporate beauracracy to deal with, which will only help get a cool product from concept to reality much quicker.

Current:

Past:

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    It's a typical "big corporation" problem. Instead of using a lot their resources and money to expedite Cadillac's growth and development, GM is slowing their developmental progress by sending money and research to other brands, while restricting Cadillac's growth and development with their "corporate restrictions". Smaller independent manufacturers, such as BMW, Mercedes and perhaps Spyker are a lot smaller and don't have all the restrictions and corporate beauracracy to deal with, which will only help get a cool product from concept to reality much quicker.
    This sounds exactly like the "old" GM way of doing things, and it seems like they're doing that with Cadillac right now.

Somebody mentioned that Cadillac is looking at the "Acura" model of building their product/brand. This has to be the most foolhearty endevor, because Acura is nothing more than a fancy Honda under the skin. Acura has nothing in the over 50k price catergory to compete with the E-Class, any Jaguar, BMW 5 series, X5 BMW, GL Benz SUV, Audi A6, much less any of those Euro brands real high end offerings or specialty convertibles/coupes.

The TSX is sold as the Honda Accord in Europe as their mainstream family car for christ's sake. The TL is a reskinned american Accord with optional AWD. The MDX is nothing more than a reskinned Honda Pilot. Acura is not luxury, its a clever way for Honda to mark up their existing lineup another 10-20k with minimal investment. Same exact thing can be said of Lincoln and the Lexus ES330/GX470.

EDIT: I drive one of those "fancy Chevy" Cadillacs, and I will say that other than the look and interior appointments, it drives just like a Chevy Caprice. I love it for that, because it never breaks down and is stupid cheap to fix. Although I would be driving a much superior machine like a Seville or Eldorado if GM hadn't totally thrown quality and good engineering out the window with those models.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2519532

found a good suggestion in another thread

GM should just put the LT5 back in production exclusively for Cadillac sedans. That would make a few people happy, and it is a hell of a lot better engine than the N*. With up to date heads, cams, ignition, and injection, it would make 500hp without breaking a sweat.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2519532

found a good suggestion in another thread
    That's actually a really good idea, but instead make it based on the new LS based architecture. DOCH, 6.0 liter displacement, 500hp would be pretty damn sweet. Maybe make a smaller 4.5-5.0 displacement version if it will net us significantly better fuel economy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.