What would be better for Cadillac's future? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What would be better for Cadillac's future? in General Discussion; They should never forget trying to pass a F'ing CAVALIER off as a Cadillac... I doubt that'll ever happen again....
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: What would be better for Cadillac's future?

They should never forget trying to pass a F'ing CAVALIER off as a Cadillac... I doubt that'll ever happen again.

Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S
    Sure, that's easy to say retrospectively because we see how much of a shitbox that old Cavalier is now... but was it really all that much worse for its early years (when the Cimarron was conceived) than the Cruze is now? That's why im convinced that GM execs make a point of remembering that failure... not literally to pick on the cavalier, but to never again repeat the mistake of trying to foist a car from THAT segment of its most plaebian brand on buyers of its PREMIUM brand. It doesn't matter HOW good the Cruze is, you pull a Verano at Cadillac, and Cimarron comparisons will instantly start flying, I guarantee it.

Id go as far as to say that hideous Smart sized thing would probably be better received than the Cruze for no other reason than it being, exclusive, new and different. At least to those who place those attributes above brand history.

No doubt the Verano is a great little car, so that's too bad.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

There is one car that is a glaring rebuttal to the above statement. In 1976 Cadillac introduced the Seville which utilized the chassis of the lower echelon Chevy Nova of that period. But in this case Cadillac went back to the drawing board to design a "true" Cadillac to be built around the Nova's body shell. The car they came up with was a step forward in design and technology and one that employed materials that were higher quality than those use on contemporary full sized Cadillacs. What resulted was a car that was superior to other Cadillac offerings of that year, but was considerably smaller, yet much more elegantly designed and would head the 1976 Cadillac line up in price. The 1976 Cadillac Seville became an instant success on both Coasts and was ubiquitous in the parking lots of establishments popular with the wealthiest Americans. To be honest, the '76-'79 Seville was probably the last Cadillac, or American car of any make, to give the European luxury car makers real competition in the high priced field!

Ford and Chrysler tried this same approach, but cheaping it out, with the Lincoln Versailles and Chrysler Imperial, respectedly, both of which felt far short of the Seville's sales appeal and prestige.

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    There is one car that is a glaring rebuttal to the above statement. In 1976 Cadillac introduced the Seville which utilized the chassis of the lower echelon Chevy Nova of that period. But in this case Cadillac went back to the drawing board to design a "true" Cadillac to be built around the Nova's body shell. The car they came up with was a step forward in design and technology and one that employed materials that were higher quality than those use on contemporary full sized Cadillacs. What resulted was a car that was superior to other Cadillac offerings of that year, but was considerably smaller, yet much more elegantly designed and would head the 1976 Cadillac line up in price. The 1976 Cadillac Seville became an instant success on both Coasts and was ubiquitous in the parking lots of establishments popular with the wealthiest Americans. To be honest, the '76-'79 Seville was probably the last Cadillac, or American car of any make, to give the European luxury car makers real competition in the high priced field!

Ford and Chrysler tried this same approach, but cheaping it out, with the Lincoln Versailles and Chrysler Imperial, respectedly, both of which felt far short of the Seville's sales appeal and prestige.
    Yes, but the key difference is that the Seville was *NOT* a compact car. For that matter, you could use the Continental, which had been a re-bodied Taurus since the mid-80s, but can be considered a sales success. The problem with the Cimarron was that it was not only a light rehash of the Cavalier, but that it was ALSO a COMPACT series car on TOP of that. You can have one of those, but you can NOT have both, and that's why the Cimarron failed.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Plus, as far as compacts go, the J-bodies were particularly awful.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

This topic has been brought up before and it's a good one. If you look at the automotive buying habits from post WW2 to the late 70s/early80s you'll see that in many ways people were buying a "Cadillac" lifestyle, even though the division never really marketed such a thing. I've seen BMW and MB dealers selling respective jackets, t-shirts, cookbooks, club memberships, etc, and "maybe" this is something Cadillac should look into.

First things first. Cars like the CTS-V have to retain their "bite" and horsepower, and strive to maintain roadworthiness. They're a great start but Cadillac needs to maintain this. If they do, and make certain other changes, I think that they'll be able to command higher prices and develop a lifestyle following.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    I've seen BMW and MB dealers selling respective jackets, t-shirts, cookbooks, club memberships, etc, and "maybe" this is something Cadillac should look into.
    That to me, is a big deal when buying a car. I like the fact that BMW/Mercedes and Audi offers all sorts of branded apparel and gifts. Heck, they offer so much stuff that their apparel & gift collection is so large that it warrants it's own catalog. That to me shows massive brand confidence and proudness. When the dealer sees the opportunity to not only stock their shelves with the necessary parts and equipment needed for the cars, but apparel, goodies and other swag, it shows that they feel their brand is of a high enough quality to spend the shelf space on that.

Cadillac doesn't offer anything like this...yet. When I go into most Cadillac dealers, their apparel and stuff is a small selection in a glass case in the parts department, but my favorite Cadillac dealer in the area has it on display in the showroom as well, because their selection is vast enough to warrant it. Most Cadillac dealers don't keep their entire selection on hand, just some hats & shirts, whereas the BMW dealers in my area all have separate gift shops off the showroom that have large varieties of BMW apparel & gifts on display and ready for purchase. Almost their entire catalog is there, so you don't have to go through the inconvenience of having it ordered and having to pop back in later.

Jeep is another brand where the dealers have lots of jeep branded merchandise on display. Actually, come to think of it, most every Chrysler dealer I've ever seen has a lot of Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep merchandise on display in the parts department... I think they're required to.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

http://cadillaccollection.com

[edit: oh, I see you guys are talking about having the stuff on display at the dealer]
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I've noticed that too -- C/D/J dealers love to sell brand stuff, mostly Dodge and Jeep.

Personally, I would no sooner wear "Auto branded" apparel than I would wear a "bowling" shirt! But each to their own!

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

I'd rock this:

In fact, I will probably buy it.

My brother got me a size XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXL Chrysler jacket for a buck at a Steve and Barry's liquidation sale:

http://www.q45.org/uploads2/Spokane%...8/DCP_3353.JPG
    [Friends of mine pictured wearing it.]

Its made of cheaper material than the interior of a Sebring.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Personally, I would no sooner wear "Auto branded" apparel than I would wear a "bowling" shirt! But each to their own!
    Hey, I like my polo shirt.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ View Post
    I'll take 5.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ View Post
    Your polo is "personalized" not "auto branded" there's a big difference!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.