Three awful cars.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Three awful cars. in General Discussion; ...
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Three awful cars.

http://jesda.com/2011/02/28/three-awful-cars/

I know there's a lot of malaise-era enthusiasts on the forum. Here's three.

Its baffling that GM would put a four door vehicle on the market with rear windows that don’t go down… at all! Diplomat scores points for offering more standard equipment and at least being durable enough for police and fleet use. Diplomat and Monaco M-bodies had a long lifespan, from 1977 to 1989.

Admittedly, Diplomat was not the worst looking car in the world. With clean lines, a tasteful hood ornament, padded vinyl roof, wire wheel covers, and Cadillac-like headlamps, it pretended to be upscale.

Nothing redeeming here. A fastback, yes. Fast, no. Oldsmobile’s attempt at European design was a failure.

Ford was betting on the ignorance of its customers, and it worked. They found more than two million idiots.

I admit, I’m being a bit harsh. You have to evaluate these cars in the context of their time. We may look back on the Camry in 30 years and wonder what the hell we were thinking.

For those of you who were alive back then, did they seem as awful as they seem now?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

Re: Three awful cars.

Ford seriously thought the Granada looked like a Benz? Best drugs, in the world, EVAR.

Stric9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 STS V

Heh, Heh, Heh
    A friends Mom had the diplomat (maroon). It was not that bad of a car. It would start getting that "floaty" ride about 90 mph. I think it had a 318 2V under the hood.
    I also knew a chick that had the Olds 4 door (same color). The styling (both her and the car) were considered "sub par" back then.
    I hit it anyway... LMAO

Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by ga_etc View Post
    Ford seriously thought the Granada looked like a Benz? Best drugs, in the world, EVAR.
    I always wondered why Ford would want their cars to look like Mercedes. Cadillacs, I can see, but not Mercedes with their boxy and bland styling.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    http://jesda.com/2011/02/28/three-awful-cars/

I know there's a lot of malaise-era enthusiasts on the forum. Here's three.

Its baffling that GM would put a four door vehicle on the market with rear windows that don’t go down… at all! Diplomat scores points for offering more standard equipment and at least being durable enough for police and fleet use. Diplomat and Monaco M-bodies had a long lifespan, from 1977 to 1989.

Admittedly, Diplomat was not the worst looking car in the world. With clean lines, a tasteful hood ornament, padded vinyl roof, wire wheel covers, and Cadillac-like headlamps, it pretended to be upscale.

Nothing redeeming here. A fastback, yes. Fast, no. Oldsmobile’s attempt at European design was a failure.

Ford was betting on the ignorance of its customers, and it worked. They found more than two million idiots.

I admit, I’m being a bit harsh. You have to evaluate these cars in the context of their time. We may look back on the Camry in 30 years and wonder what the hell we were thinking.

For those of you who were alive back then, did they seem as awful as they seem now?
    They were all decent cars back then. I remember in '76 my uncle bought a Granada and wrecked shortly thereafter. He then bought a '78 LTD. I think you picked the wrong batch of cars to pick on. These are not sought after cars but they are all pretty cool, somewhat.

Rusty058 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII

HEY! One of those idiots was me,used to own a Mercury Monarch which I believe WAS a Granada.There was nothing worse than a Chevy Chevette or Ford Aspire imho,both of which I have driven.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

With the exception of that hatchbacked atrocity, none of those offends my senses even half as much as this pile:

It's amazing how many vomit inducing cars were produced from roughly the same platform that also produced the fantastic Fleetwood.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    They were all decent cars back then. I remember in '76 my uncle bought a Granada and wrecked shortly thereafter. He then bought a '78 LTD. I think you picked the wrong batch of cars to pick on. These are not sought after cars but they are all pretty cool, somewhat.
    You had me until "cool, somewhat"

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I ques you had to be there! In 1978 the handwriting was on the wall as far as the huge land cruisers of the previous decade were concerned. GM had already downsized and greatly improved the build quality of their full size cars. Ford was trying to catchup and Chrysler had had a success with the Cordoba and the Volares. The shock of the "Gas Crisis" of 1973 was still a recent memory.

In 1978 Chrysler brought out there attempt at mid sized, mid-market cars with the introduction of the Dodge Diplomat/ Chrysler LeBaron, not quite as "luxurious" as the Cordoba, but certainly upmarket from the the entry level Volare. Ford also was trying to stay abreast of the market and there mid sized Monarch/Granada were definitely a step up from what Ford had been offering in this market niche.

The Europeans were offering underpowered, over priced (in the case of BMW and Mercedes cars that really weren't suitable for American driving conditions. The powerful European cars were in a completely different price range than the American middle class family could afford, the European cars that were affordable were slow and had reputations for being prone to electrical problems. Japanese had come into there own as small economy cars, but really were suitable for Americans families needing passenger and trunk space, not to mention cars capable of eating up the long distances of the Midwest.

Against this backdrop, and expecting the arrival of a new child in the family, I ditched my wife's 1978 Pontiac Firebird Esprit with a 350 V-8 for a 1978 Dodge Diplomat wagon. The Diplomat was a nice size and decent looking, and could accommodate a stroller, playpen and numerous other trappings of a baby passenger. The Diplomat wagon was white with vinyl wood grain side appliqué, with a nice roof rack, Corintian leather seating ( exactly as shown in the film clip) and a 360 V-8 (which was not available on any other comparatively sized wagon at that time). To be honest "Dudley Dooright" the Dodge was a decent car for its time and purpose. Never had any trouble with it and after 21/2 years of baby hauling duty, when playpens were no longer needed I sold it to my best friend who drove it back to Pennsylvania from California and used it for another ten years, and it was replaced with a Peugeot 505S (which turned out to be my wife's all time favorite car).

So when passing judgment on these transitional cars of late seventies you really have to take into account the time and what was available and affordable in the marketplace at the time. Yes there were Sevilles, Jag XJ6s, Mercedes 450SEs and ,thank God the full sized GM cars, but most middle class families needed nice but economical transportation to better cope with the new reality of high fuel prices.

So, you really had to be there!

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

It's amazing how many vomit inducing cars were produced from roughly the same platform that also produced the fantastic Fleetwood.
    I hate everything about that statement.

The three cars discussed in this topic do not interest me at all. In all reality, the '70s cars sucked, aside from the early '70s muscle cars and the luxury cars which I love so much. Most everything else was ugly, underpowered, rust prone and just plain weird.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    I hate everything about that statement.
    That's because you like cars that look like this...

(Side note... Why would you even MAKE a CarDomain page for that?)

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

Drew thinks it's funny because that's secretly his old car...

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by ga_etc View Post
    Drew thinks it's funny because that's secretly his old car...
    Close, but wrong color and too little rust!

The difference is I don't seek them out, I just accept them as hand-me-downs

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

No, that's nicer than his old car. He only had the Eighty Eight, that's the Ninety Eight!
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.