Generator Question - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Generator Question in General Discussion; Just make sure you're not buying based on surge watts. Like car amplifiers, surge watts is peak power for a ...
    Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Re: Generator Question

Just make sure you're not buying based on surge watts. Like car amplifiers, surge watts is peak power for a short period....

Im no electrician so if you're not comfortable messing with it, obviously talk to someone with the proper experience, but with that said -

Same deal as in post #2, just run ext cord to generator rather than the house. Generators have built in circuit breakers so if you mess up, you just trip the breaker. If it were me, I'd treat the building as if it were one electrical device, following the wiring back to the original service box, deleting it, and splicing hot, neutral, and ground to their respective leads on my extension cord.

Of course, you are getting this information from a plumber so DIY'er beware!!

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

ok im following...

with that 3500w generator you listed a lot of high draw items that you were running, could i get by with say, a 1000w unit?

generators are best left in doors of course right?

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

I've ran them for short periods in the rain without incident... I think long term the issue would be corrosion plus the danger of getting shocked by a wet ext cord.... For permanent installation and to keep the noise at a minimum, I'd build a large doghouse for it and set it away from the building. I think you could still do all this for less than the cost of having the utility company come out.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
    I've ran them for short periods in the rain without incident... I think long term the issue would be corrosion plus the danger of getting shocked by a wet ext cord.... For permanent installation and to keep the noise at a minimum, I'd build a large doghouse for it and set it away from the building. I think you could still do all this for less than the cost of having the utility company come out.
    good idea thanks. yea youre right and the benefit with the generator is that i can
    a) take it with me, when i leave
    b) use it in case of an emergency
    c) flip it for profit during a hurricane in florida

the only downside i see is that it can break or be stolen

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO View Post
    ok im following...

generators are best left in doors of course right?
    Generators have internal combustion engines that produce carbon monoxide. Do not run it inside of a shed or garage where you will be working.

There are ways to safely connect a generator to your electrical system. It can get expensive. I have a transfer switch and distribution panel in the basement for my system. The generator is stored outside of the house.

This may give you some ideas.
    http://www.interlockkit.com/?gclid=C...FYrt7QodvkLv-w

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.