New member, first Cadillac
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, New member, first Cadillac in General Discussion; I originally posted this in another section of this forum but then realized this is where it should have gone. ...
    epetrillo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville SLS

New member, first Cadillac

I originally posted this in another section of this forum but then realized this is where it should have gone.

Hi I am a new member to this forum. I just bought my first Cadillac, a 1997 SLS with 80k miles on it. Aside from a couple of nicks on the body molding, some condensation in one of the tail light lenses and very slight wear on the drivers seat this thing could have come through a time warp direct from the showroom. It also runs and drives like a new car (so far). I have to say that reading through some of the threads here has got me a little scared. Do any of you not have problems with your cars? I do hope my new baby holds together for a while because although I didn't pay much for it I just love the thing. I am not sure why but I am more excited about my '97 SLS than most of the brand new cars I've bought.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: New member, first Cadillac

Wow, low miles. Welcome to the forum

The more complicated a car is, the more potentially goes wrong.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I've had a '93 Seville STS and have a '95 STS and a '02 SLS ..... all have served me well over the last 10 years. Hope your '97 SLS serves you well. Welcome to the Forums!

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by epetrillo View Post
    I originally posted this in another section of this forum but then realized this is where it should have gone.

Hi I am a new member to this forum. I just bought my first Cadillac, a 1997 SLS with 80k miles on it. Aside from a couple of nicks on the body molding, some condensation in one of the tail light lenses and very slight wear on the drivers seat this thing could have come through a time warp direct from the showroom. It also runs and drives like a new car (so far). I have to say that reading through some of the threads here has got me a little scared. Do any of you not have problems with your cars? I do hope my new baby holds together for a while because although I didn't pay much for it I just love the thing. I am not sure why but I am more excited about my '97 SLS than most of the brand new cars I've bought.
    Get ready to be punished in a brutal way for crimes not committed. Enjoy the car till it decides to have it's way with you.

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

Destroyer is a little jaded. There are a lot of us on here who have had very loyal service out of our Northstar cars. Best of luck with the new car and welcome to the forum.

epetrillo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Get ready to be punished in a brutal way for crimes not committed. Enjoy the car till it decides to have it's way with you.
    Destroyer I don't see a Cadillac listed under your name. Have you given up on them or do you just come here to scare the newbies? Thanks for the welcome everyone. Hope my Caddy and I are around for a while.

Emilio

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

One would think Destroyer was illegitimately conceived in the back seat of a Cadillac Northstar* given his vitriol toward the cars!

Stric9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 STS V

Welcome to the board

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Welcome Aboard
    just roll with the punches youll learn to love the love hate relationship with the new caddy but youll llove it

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

I'm sure there are guys here who dont have problems with their cadillacs. but this is a car forum, so most posts will be about how to fix/ change something on the car. go on any car forum, and you'll be scared to death to buy one of those cars for fear of mechanical failure. I havent seen many late 90's sevilles at the junkyard for motor failures, so thats a good sign. can't say the same about the time bomb known as the high technology 4100 though.

Quote Originally Posted by epetrillo View Post
    Destroyer I don't see a Cadillac listed under your name. Have you given up on them or do you just come here to scare the newbies? Thanks for the welcome everyone. Hope my Caddy and I are around for a while.

Emilio
    The answer is yes on all counts. I have given up on Cadillacs. I don't try to "scare" newbies but I want them to realize that N* ownership is a PITA and an expensive proposition. I have been here long enough to know that A. I'm not alone, B. The N* is basically junk and C. I'm pretty much always right. I've been around for the 4-6-8, the 4.1 and the Northstars. I'm leaving many out but these are all drivetrains I have owned. Anything post 70's with an honest to goodness Cadillac motor is junk IMO. Only good Cadillac's left have Chevy motors in them (i.e. Escalade, CTS-V). It is a shame, I grew up loving Cadillacs, now not so much. I blame GM for this.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    I'm sure there are guys here who dont have problems with their cadillacs. but this is a car forum, so most posts will be about how to fix/ change something on the car. go on any car forum, and you'll be scared to death to buy one of those cars for fear of mechanical failure. I havent seen many late 90's sevilles at the junkyard for motor failures, so thats a good sign. can't say the same about the time bomb known as the high technology 4100 though.
    The N* is every bit a "time bomb" as a 4.1. Even moreso IMO. Cadillacs like this: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/2238551188.html are always for sale around here. They over heat but the owners always state it is a "simple fix". Guess what is really wrong with said car? It's not "if", it is "when" with a N*.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

I said late 90's northstars. theres plenty of the early 90's ones there. maybe the late 90's ones arent old enough to be failing en masse yet? I'd guess theres about 50 4100 cars (fwd and rwd), about 5 of the 4.5 and 4.9, and about 25 of the redesigned 90's seville/ deville with the northstar. I think they have 5 to 8 late 90's/ early 2000's caddies (catera doesnt count) , which are trashed out.
    therefore, the northstar is only 1/2 the timebomb of the 4100. :P

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    I said late 90's northstars. theres plenty of the early 90's ones there. maybe the late 90's ones arent old enough to be failing en masse yet? I'd guess theres about 50 4100 cars (fwd and rwd), about 5 of the 4.5 and 4.9, and about 25 of the redesigned 90's seville/ deville with the northstar. I think they have 5 to 8 late 90's/ early 2000's caddies (catera doesnt count) , which are trashed out.
    therefore, the northstar is only 1/2 the timebomb of the 4100. :P
    Huh? What?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.