New member, first Cadillac - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, New member, first Cadillac in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Destroyer The N* is every bit a "time bomb" as a 4.1. Even moreso IMO. Cadillacs like ...
    ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Re: New member, first Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    The N* is every bit a "time bomb" as a 4.1. Even moreso IMO. Cadillacs like this: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/2238551188.html are always for sale around here. They over heat but the owners always state it is a "simple fix". Guess what is really wrong with said car? It's not "if", it is "when" with a N*.
    ok wow now i seen it all someone who admits there caddy over heats and still thinks its worth 4k
    dang this should be a simple clue if it was a simple fix it would have been fixed
    i feel really sorry for the new kid or guy or gal on the block that buys this without there mechanic checking it out for every possible problem

Darn Post lags double post

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    I said late 90's northstars. theres plenty of the early 90's ones there. maybe the late 90's ones arent old enough to be failing en masse yet? I'd guess theres about 50 4100 cars (fwd and rwd), about 5 of the 4.5 and 4.9, and about 25 of the redesigned 90's seville/ deville with the northstar. I think they have 5 to 8 late 90's/ early 2000's caddies (catera doesnt count) , which are trashed out.
    therefore, the northstar is only 1/2 the time bomb of the 4100. :P
    I know 2 of the Junk Yards in Cleveland
    Will not sell a Northstar Engine unless it is absolutely perfect means car came in running been tested tests great probably there for insurance total out from body damage or something
    but there is no way these 2 yards Denision Auto parts or Ridge Road Auto parts would ever sell a Northstar engine unless they knew for sure they where ok
    and you know last time i was there looking for a few parts trinkets and other stuff last summer maybe i saw about 8 sevilles and maybe 20 Eldorados and close to even more devilles somewhere around 30 Devilles all with 4.6 N's
    all years that i could guess probably from 93 up to to i don;t know but probably 04 Seville and o5 devilles

and only about 4 of them where missing the engines witch means out of 68 cars just at Denision alone only 4 of them had good engines that they sold unless someone bought them as none running just for parts alone

because they got so many back for every 10 they would sell 5 would come back bad they said so they stooped

when i was considering a used engine at first over the spring
    i called both these yards up Denision was the only one that had 1 they had 2 that they would sell and both of them had around 60k on them and they wanted 1800 for each one used i was not going to do it even though they where confident and backing it with a 90 day unlimited warranty and they where also going to put in for 800 is what they where going to charge for the labor

now that i think about it i probably would have been better of putting that used engine in then having the hg's fixed in April lol

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

here they'll sell you any part off the car (faulty or not), but you can't buy the whole thing. you can only bring back an engine and trans. and you have 1 week to do so.
    btw, if a car that cost 40k+ 10 years ago is now selling for 4k, chances are somethings seriously wrong with the majority of those cars. I've lost count of how many $2k- $3k caddys with northstars I've seen on craigslist and
    at corner lots. they sell though. the brothas in the hood snap them up, then they're in the junkyard 6 months later.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    here they'll sell you any part off the car (faulty or not), but you can't buy the whole thing. you can only bring back an engine and trans. and you have 1 week to do so.
    btw, if a car that cost 40k+ 10 years ago is now selling for 4k, chances are somethings seriously wrong with the majority of those cars. I've lost count of how many $2k- $3k caddys with northstars I've seen on craigslist and
    at corner lots. they sell though. the brothas in the hood snap them up, then they're in the junkyard 6 months later.
    yeah there was a time back in the late late 90s and early early 2000s that all the drug dealers in the hood where snapping up caddys and Auroras with the N's in them and they kept buying them if it wasn't the police impounding and confiscating them it was them breaking down and to much to fix lets sell another ounce of powder and buy a new one lol

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

lol, poor OP is probably shivering with fear in his basement by now.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Destroyer... what about the guy who buys a N* cadillac with the intent to stud the motor w/ Jake's SureGrip stud kit? or buys one that has already been inserted or studded?

and emilio
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I've been through enough cars to know that there's worse in this world than a Northstar Cadillac.

epetrillo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    lol, poor OP is probably shivering with fear in his basement by now.
    You got that right. I'm not sure if I'm glad I found this forum or wish I never had. I will make sure my car gets proper maintenance and "try" to enjoy it, if I can after the horror stories I have read here.

Emilio

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

look on the bright side - you could have bought a jaguar with a V12.......

.... or a yugo
    In all seriousness, every car will have its good batches and bad batches. I know a few people with northstars who have never had a problem out of them. if you compare the number of northstars that have blown up (from manufacturing defects) compared to the total number of them still on the road, the number that have engine failures will be a very small percentage.

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

First off, greetings and salutations, Emilio.

Don't let the guys scare you. The facts are there - Northstar motors have a tendency to blow head gaskets. That's the major issue. There's some other issues such as oil use, too, but the HGs are the big one. Dealer will charge you an arm and a leg to repair and they're a bitch to fix by yourself. If not caught early, it will cause the engine to overheat - DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN!

Enjoy the car! But be aware. If the HG's give way to the ghost, there's a member on here (the aforementioned and greatly trumpeted Jake) who sells a stud kit if you catch the problem early.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by epetrillo View Post
    You got that right. I'm not sure if I'm glad I found this forum or wish I never had. I will make sure my car gets proper maintenance and "try" to enjoy it, if I can after the horror stories I have read here.

Emilio
    Enjoy it, and if it breaks... fix it. Because even with that much of an investment, you have more car than any 15 grand Corolla could ever hope to be. And like Sub always says, a 40k car still has 40k car repairs even if you only paid a pittance of that. That goes for any luxury brand.

jason0423 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    The N* is every bit a "time bomb" as a 4.1. Even moreso IMO. Cadillacs like this: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/2238551188.html are always for sale around here. They over heat but the owners always state it is a "simple fix". Guess what is really wrong with said car? It's not "if", it is "when" with a N*.
    that's what happened to me when I bought my first N* Caddy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.