Anyone watch the race?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Anyone watch the race? in General Discussion; I've never really been into Nascar but the 500 today was epic. It was like a demolition derby out there ...
    Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Anyone watch the race?

I've never really been into Nascar but the 500 today was epic. It was like a demolition derby out there with 16 caution flags. Also a record number of lead changes and a very unexpected win by a 20 year old rookie. He had to ask for directions to victory lane!

I wonder if the new pavement and the cooler-than-normal weather had anything to do with the high level of CARnage? In any event, it was one hell of a race! I may be following nascar more in the future...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Re: Anyone watch the race?

I tried, I really did. Saw a few of the wrecks, those are always somewhat entertaining. However, I haven't actually watched Nascar for 8 years or so. It's really hard to watch a race now - I don't know who half of the field is anymore, who's good, who's not, who's on what team, who's sponsoring who... and I have little interest to re-learn it all. It'll never be the same for me.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It was one of the most interesting and amazing races I've seen, start to finish, and the finish was awesome. Not only was it won by a 20 year (turned 20 the day before the race) old rookie (youngest winner ever), but it was only his 2nd Sprint Car race.

The 16 cautions was also a record.

I share the same view with drew on it myself but today I happened to have the race on while at the computer and for the first time ever I found myself glued to the tv! The camera placements and replay coverage was exceptional. The only thing I find annoying about it is the ridiculous amount of product placement. Every camera viewpoint in the event from the bumper cams to the after-wreck interviews is plastered with logos... Its no coincidence that every driver is drinking a coke during every interview...

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

Sorry but

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Yeah, the product placement this year is unprecedented. Did you notice the "We <3 Logistics" sticker on the back of Ragan's steering wheel?

I only caught the end of the race. I had to work 12-4 today so I missed the good stuff. Sad to see Gordon caught up in a wreck - but that's all good because I smiled and jumped for joy when I got to see Dale Jr. get taken out. I'm blown away that the kid who won the race is younger than me, and just got turned into a multimillionaire in a day. That's mind-boggling. I'm in the wrong damn business!

The infrared heat cams this year are an interesting touch. I liked those. I didn't get to see much else honestly. I caught the last 30 laps. Glad the ridiculous looking front splitter is gone from the cars too.

Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    Sorry but
    We get it, you like F1. Why reply? I never understand why non-NASCAR fans always point out that they don't enjoy it. It's everywhere, and it really grinds my gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Yeah, the product placement this year is unprecedented. Did you notice the "We <3 Logistics" sticker on the back of Ragan's steering wheel?
    Lol! Thats the moment where I decided that the product placement was especially insane. Any bare surface in front of any camera is exploited like a ten dollar hooker.

@gary, Im not a nascar fan either but the race today, compared to all others, was far from

At least I'm not alone then. I should be able to see more of next week's race. Working 12-4 on Sundays kinda sucks now.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    We get it, you like F1. Why reply? I never understand why non-NASCAR fans always point out that they don't enjoy it. It's everywhere, and it really grinds my gears.
    I used to be a NASCAR fan back in the 80's with Bill Elliot and the other big shots. Not much over the last 25 years though. I look at it as more for a "redneck" thing now and wonder how I ever liked it in the first place. In those days I was also a follower of WWE wrestiling too. Ah, to be young and stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Haven't watched it much since Earnhardt Sr. died to be honest. I'm just glad Gordon and Johnson got taken out early on. Not a fan of either of them.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Used to be an avid fan (all the way back into the '60s), lost quite a bit of interest in the last couple years (but still follow along). So yesterday is the same old thing (of NASCAR lately); the best driver didn't win, the best car didn't win and except for the last 20 laps of the race, there wasn't much going on. Wrecks ain't racing excitement for me. Take away some of that 'aero', give them back their horsepower and let them guys go.

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE

These aren't races anymore, they're mobile parking lots with a winner determined by surviving the last wreck. Granted these drivers have exceptional skills and the cars are marvels of engineering, but the restrictor plate races are now extended versions of the old IROC races.

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

Give some credit where credit is due.

I don't really have any issue with the product placement or sponsorship aspect of it. You know how ridiculously expensive it is to run ONE race team? Let alone 4 from one stable? It's a lot of coin. Millions of dollars PER WEEK. Sponsorship helps solve this problem, and the sponsors want their due time. I'm okay with that, it's part of all sports.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.