Motor Trend First Test - Infiniti M35H - A Hybrid you're not ashamed to drive. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Motor Trend First Test - Infiniti M35H - A Hybrid you're not ashamed to drive. in General Discussion; Originally Posted by The Raven I'm very disappointed with this car. The M has always been one of my favorite ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: Motor Trend First Test - Infiniti M35H - A Hybrid you're not ashamed to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    I'm very disappointed with this car. The M has always been one of my favorite premium sedans. After my mother's experiences with Infiniti, I would NEVER own one...but I have always really liked the M.

My problem? I HATE this one. It looks terrible compared to it's predecessors. It looks like the new Maxima, which I also hate. It has gone from a very handsome yet sporty looking car, to a very vanilla, corporate, almost Camry type look. I guess i'll just have to admire the older models now.
    That is bizarre. It is just the opposite. The last gen M was very boring and vanilla. The latest is far from it. Now, I'm not a big fan of the looks of the new M(looks much better from below the beltline) but it's certainly NOT vanilla...

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: Motor Trend First Test - Infiniti M35H - A Hybrid you're not ashamed to drive.

The current M isn't ugly, but it isn't a benchmark for style either. It has the stuff that counts though: A strong engine, a great chassis, and a beautiful interior.

Its not ugly at all, but it doesn't look purposeful. The design lacks strength and intent.

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

It's not ugly. It's not anything. It blends in to the crowd, looks just like any regular toyota or nissan or honda econo-sedan out there. That's the problem. Premium cars need premium styling. They need to be eye-catching and distinctive. This is a big part of why Cadillac is able to compete with BMW and MB presently. They don't have the status level or reputation of the german automakers, but they have equivalent or even better styling. There are plenty of people out there who will tell you that they find the current CTS more eye-catching than the 5-series or E-class. NO ONE is going to be saying that about the Infiniti M. Most of them won't be able to tell it apart from a Camry.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

There are plenty of people out there who will tell you that they find the current CTS more eye-catching than the 5-series or E-class. NO ONE is going to be saying that about the Infiniti M. Most of them won't be able to tell it apart from a Camry.
    I would disagree with you on this statement. Simply because beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and different folks have different opinions about the styles they like and/or the ability to tell the difference between different models from certain auto makers. I can't tell you how many times I had people call my STS-V a CTS. I even had a guy at a stop light begin arguing with me that it was a CTS-V because he knew somebody who had one. I literly just said "Ok whatever dude" and rolled up my window. Thank goodness the light changed and I could move on.

The point is most folks don't know the difference between models by their looks if the automaker is using some of the same design cues in their line of cars. Be it Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, or Infiniti. Now if they have models that are noticeably different they do. Unless of course you're dealing with owners who examine all the little details and differences and know what they are looking for, but that certainly isn't the majority of people out there driving cars.

Again though, this wasn't intended to be a thread to get into the M's looks. It was about the performance the new hybrid was offering and still maintaining a respectable mileage rating.

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    The point is most folks don't know the difference between models by their looks if the automaker is using some of the same design cues in their line of cars. Be it Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, or Infiniti. Now if they have models that are noticeably different they do. Unless of course you're dealing with owners who examine all the little details and differences and know what they are looking for, but that certainly isn't the majority of people out there driving cars.
    Ok maybe I was getting too specific. I thought that in this company, that would be the better way to make my point. Most people I know, even those who couldn't care less about cars, can identify a premium car brand. They can see a 3 or 5 series roll by and tell me "oh that's a BMW", and same for Cadillac and MB. I bet you real money that NONE of those same non-car people could tell me that the new M is an Infiniti. I bet you that I will get alot of "oh that's a Toyota, or maybe a Honda?" Type responses.

I'm fine with the technology and what they've achieved mechanically here, but it's an incomplete achievement since while they've leaped forward in technology, they've fallen back in styling.

That and Hybrid's, even powerful ones, don't interest me in the least. From an engineer's perspective, we are basically looking at a slight evolution of the same thing that rail locomotives have been running on for decades.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Ok maybe I was getting too specific. I thought that in this company, that would be the better way to make my point. Most people I know, even those who couldn't care less about cars, can identify a premium car brand. They can see a 3 or 5 series roll by and tell me "oh that's a BMW", and same for Cadillac and MB. I bet you real money that NONE of those same non-car people could tell me that the new M is an Infiniti. I bet you that I will get alot of "oh that's a Toyota, or maybe a Honda?" Type responses.

I'm fine with the technology and what they've achieved mechanically here, but it's an incomplete achievement since while they've leaped forward in technology, they've fallen back in styling.

That and Hybrid's, even powerful ones, don't interest me in the least. From an engineer's perspective, we are basically looking at a slight evolution of the same thing that rail locomotives have been running on for decades.
    Hadn't thought of it that way, but quite true!

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but others disagree and like the styling in the new M. Especially a lot of the owners of the previous model M.

I bet you real money that NONE of those same non-car people could tell me that the new M is an Infiniti. I bet you that I will get alot of "oh that's a Toyota, or maybe a Honda?" Type responses.
    I'll take that bet. Just make sure they're not in Japan, since there is no Infiniti there.

No technology with automobiles started out at the peak of design. The first ones had about 3HP. It takes time to improve and I'm glad to see it moving forward as one of many solutions to help reduce our increasing need for oil. Although I would like to see many alternatives out there advance forward as well and consider the hybrid as temporary alternative.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

While I'm not a fan of any M's styling except 03-04, I prefer the current body to this Altima-like one that preceded it. This one looked too Nissan corporate. The current one at least tries to carve out its own identity.

The 05 M was supposed to take after the Fuga concept but lost all the details that made it look interesting like the two strips of silver trim that flowed over the roof.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh.../photo_02.html

Looks like InsideLine got one and tested its performance.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...5h-hybrid.html

V8 power with four-cylinder efficiency. It's the alchemy of the driving world. Nobody likes paying $4/gallon for gas, but for some of us, the cost of losing our performance cars is greater than the price of fuel.
    And that's where the 2012 Infiniti M35h hybrid comes in. On one hand, it's a refined sedan with a world-class interior; on the other hand it's a competent sport sedan with 369 combined horsepower; and on the third hand, it returns a Versa-like 27 mpg city and 32 mpg highway. That's a lot of hands to keep track of.
    On paper, it should be the best of all worlds. For $53,000, it better be. And while fuel economy will vary based on driving habits, we were more concerned with the promise of V8 performance. So how does the 2012 Infiniti M35h do when fuel economy is ignored in favor of flat-footed fun?

Test Results:
    0-30 (sec): 2.2 (2.3 with TC on)
    0-45 (sec): 3.6 (3.7 with TC on)
    0-60 (sec): 5.2 (5.4 with TC on)
    0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.9 (5.0 with TC on)
    0-75 (sec): 7.6 (7.8 with TC on)
    1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 13.5 @ 102.9 (13.6 @ 102.8 with TC on)

Braking
    30-0 (ft): 30
    60-0 (ft): 119

Handling
    Slalom (mph): 63.7 (61.6 with TC on)
    Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.84 (0.78 with TC on)
    Sound
    Db @ Idle: 42.5
    Db @ Full Throttle: 76.4
    Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 64.4

Acceleration: Holy crap! This car is fast. (All accel runs in Sport.) I could feel the torque immediately from launch and it maintains it throughout the run. Upshifts are quick and smooth. Turning off traction control only works up to a point and it intervenes with too much wheelspin. For the best run, I "woke up" the engine prior to releasing the brake.

Braking: Very effective brakes, especially from 30-0. Distances grew shorter for the later stops, but then the brakes began pulling to the right. Overall, very good performance aside from the pulling/drifting.

Handling: Skid pad: With ESC off, this car has good balance between understeer and oversteer where the rear steps out slightly just before the front understeers. Good setup with ESC on: a combo of throttle and brakes limits speed and disallows the rear from slipping at all. Either way, the steering is springy and only slightly informative. Slalom: ESC off, just as on the skid pad, the rear slides just enough for confident rotation but now the steering remains effective to catch it. Very good balance and precision in transition. With ESC on, corrections occurred before the rear could rotate, but returned control to driver readily.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Wouldn't buy a new one, but it sure will make a great used car buy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.