Do people still overpay for P71's?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Do people still overpay for P71's? in General Discussion; I haven't done this in a few years now, but I ran into an interesting opportunity and I'm considering purchasing ...
    drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Do people still overpay for P71's?

I haven't done this in a few years now, but I ran into an interesting opportunity and I'm considering purchasing a vehicle to fix up and resell.

My cousin is selling her black 1999 Ford Crown Vic PI (pushbar, spotlight, even authentic holes in the dashboard) for "significantly less" than the $750 she's thinking about asking for it. 175k miles.

Last time I saw it, which was last year, it was looking quite...aged. Bubbling paint on all of the wheelwells, cracked windshield, wipers that don't park, bent trunk lid, and Ford's signature yellowed headlights. She got it stuck on the shoulder of the street at the last family function and noticed that she had a one-tire-fire going. The car IS equipped with the Trac Lock rear end, but the clutches must be shot.

There are probably other minor repairs that she isn't aware of, perhaps fluid leaks and such.

I'm thinking about picking it up, fixing the wipers, hitting the rust with a DA and touching it up with a spray can, perhaps picking up a junkyard trunk lid, leaving the windshield and rear end alone, clean it up best as I can, then try to sell it for profit.

I know for a while there, some nut-cases were willing to pay outrageous prices for Vics in less than stellar condition. Is this really still the case? My local craigslist shows a number of similar mileage/condition (after repairs) that seem priced too high ($1800+), but I don't know if they are actually selling at those prices or not.

Worth the risk?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: Do people still overpay for P71's?

Because of your knowledge of Ford Panther platform, I am sure you can repair it. But is it worth it? At the end you will have an old high millage rusty Ford with couple of holes here and there... Yes, you are not going to spend a lot of money for the car and even for repairs and parts since you will do it yourself and probably you can find the parts from junk yards... But what about the time and energy? The listed price in CL is not the amount of money buyers pay for the car, specially if the car is one of those high millage rusty cars... I personally never ever pay more than 1000$ for such a car, even if it is good running condition. So I am very skeptical about the amount of money you may earn...

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

do it, fix it up to get it in decent running condition.

then take it to the hood with a big 4 sale sign on it. its tax time, someone is looking for their next DONK. guarantee youll profit

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S
    Well, I'll say this much... It's got to at least be worth more than an Impala in similar condition. He he he...

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO View Post
    do it, fix it up to get it in decent running condition.

then take it to the hood with a big 4 sale sign on it. its tax time, someone is looking for their next DONK. guarantee youll profit
    Living near Milwaukee, this is actually a really good point that I forgot to consider. If there's any large market left for these cars, it's those guys. They still snatch them up, even rough examples, slap some "bling" on it and proudly cruise.

It'll probably be a few weeks yet until she finds a suitable replacement (supposedly, she's looking for a retired Charger), so I have time to scope things out in the meantime. There's a bit of panther talk on these boards sometimes, just wondering if someone knows if these things still trade hands easily. While I visit crownvic.net regularly, I feel that I'd find less subjective responses elsewhere. Besides, the enthusiasts are generally a poor gauge...they are the ones willing to pay above-average money.

If I get it, pics will come.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

They sell like hotcakes here in FL. When I was looking I couldn't find one to save my damn soul. It was insane.

Also, Ian: Fail. Just... fail.

I came across them routinely in Tampa. Not something *I* would drive, but if I had wanted one, there was no shortage. Here in TX there's a dealer on I-35 that has regular used cars on one side of his lot, and five rows of retired P71s on the other side. I'm sure he sells every last one because most of what you can get at the price-point of a well used retired P71 is FWD garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    They sell like hotcakes here in FL. When I was looking I couldn't find one to save my damn soul. It was insane.

Also, Ian: Fail. Just... fail.
    oh yeah, for some reason in Florida there are some people that love to drive cop's cars...I have no idea why! Chevy Impala and Ford Crown Interceptor have a very good market in Florida!!!!

The Impalas have a huge enthusiast market. So do the Caprices. There's a lot of aftermarket support for them, whether you want show or go. Thank the Camaro and Corvette for that.

As for the P71, thank the Mustang. There's performance parts all over for either car, but they (at one time) were cheap and plentiful too, so the donk guys got a hold of them, and there you have it. New used markets emerge.

^
    Well, I am not even speaking about 94-96 Impalas, I can understand why people love those cars and I myself really love them too... The strange point was about for example eight generation Impalas (1998-2005). I can remember those impalas were even priced higher than Buick Regal!!!

I actually sort of like the exterior styling of those cars, especially in SS trim. I wouldn't actively hunt for one, but still.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Drew, keep in mind that you need to unload this car within the next month or so before gas gets back up to $4.00 a gallon. A V8 whale of a car is a hard sell when gas prices are jacked up. Although this Crown Vic should be an easier sell thanks to all the donk guys rather than some used up SUV or van.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Drew, keep in mind that you need to unload this car within the next month or so before gas gets back up to $4.00 a gallon. A V8 whale of a car is a hard sell when gas prices are jacked up. Although this Crown Vic should be an easier sell thanks to all the donk guys rather than some used up SUV or van.
    A decent point, but I think the market of buyers who would pick this car up would probably have fuel efficiency at the bottom of their list. Not to mention that for a big V8 car the fuel economy is far from terrible anyway.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

The P71 is a restricted item, just as the taxi version is. It's also quite long lived, so 175k on it isn't too bad. I've seen them with 400k+. Worth the risk? I'd say yes. I picked up a gorgeous 2009 P71 with but 60k on the clock for $10k. Worth every nickle.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

All the people I see driving those things look like they belong in the BACK seat.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.