Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#1,445 ·
tried to rig the window ac unit in the back window of the caddy
no really i didn't but i thought about it LOL

took her to the gas station filled her up
ran 2 12 oz bottles of techron threw her since they where on sale buy 1 get one free at orielys auto parts today
put her up on the highway and just cruised drove around the outer belt for about 30 minutes just cause i was bored

#1,446 ·
wire wheeled and dremeled the shit out of my front door rust. still got some left (wire wheel bit the dust). tomorrow I'm gonna finish wire wheeling the doors, wash the surface, use naval jelly, then wash it off again and spray duplicolor rust converter on it.
not bad considering how it used to look.

and just for the hell of it- a messy interior pic. (no I didnt stage it)

#1,447 ·
The interior of the Saab is in a million pieces right now. Trying to track down a vacuum leak.

Turns out, according to Saab Central, that its just a one-way valve on my vacuum canister that failed. Its on top under the hood.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213598

Now I get to figure out how to put my dashboard, gauges, and controls back together.

I ALSO FOUND A NEST IN MY CENTER VENT:

#1,456 ·
Went over to the local Fastenal store and picked up a box of GM #14093088 trim retainer rivets - the same ones used for the radiator sight shield and lower air deflector. Box of 25 is $8.25, Fastenal SKU 0162659, bin # 14020, made by Au-ve-co.

The sheer number of automotive trim fasteners they have is mind-boggling. www.fastenal.com

#1,458 ·
Got the Saab's interior put back together, and after hours of fiddling around and cleaning panels and such I apparently left some interior lights on which drained the battery.

The last owner apparently replaced the vacuum check valve with a straight plastic tube, which explains all the vacuum issues. :| I was going to drive to Illinois today to get the part from a dealer but decided against it since I'm not particularly fond of that state.

Its good that the solution was simple (and easily accessible under the hood), but removing the dashboard is not my idea of fun.

#1,461 ·
wire wheeled the shit out of the drivers door, then hit it with naval jelly. it didnt really seem to work (only took off a couple rust flakes I missed with files and wire wheel) but it turned the rust (former rust) black (wtf)? tomorrow I'm gonna mask off and paint the bottom of the drivers door (fun!) with duplicolor rust converter, naval jelly the passengers door (can't hurt) and hit it with rust converter. total cost for rust removal so far -$20 + a couple wire wheels I had lying around. not bad for fixing a couple hundred dollar problem (or at least it would have been in a year or 2).

#1,470 ·
Wow. SEM paint is so damn expensive. The first place I called said $19.99 a can. I was told $13 by some forum members. $20 seems stupid. So I called another place that is supposed to be known to have cheaper cans... but they told me $29.99 a can.

THIRTY DOLLARS FOR SOME DAMN SPRAY PAINT? Come on, get real.

#1,472 ·
^^^ Don't kid yourself about the food in Illinois. Restaurants in Chicago are good but not worthy of the "Best" moniker. San Francisco, L.A. and New York City all surpass the windy city when it comes to food. On a much smaller scale, Baltimore does very well in the Best Food" category (good thing because Baltimore falls short in most other areas).

#1,512 ·
I can't comment on SF and NY, but I been to LA. I never once had a decent meal in the state of California. San Diego was worse than LA. The high end restaurant some locals referred us to was like a frozen dinner vendor.

Chicago gets high end meat, poultry and produce. And if you know where to look, some of the best flown-in seafood in the world. You pay out the wazzoo for the seafood though.

#1,474 ·
L.A. and New York are also blessed with many, many "Mom and Pop' ethnic restaurants that really fill the bill when looking for really great food at a reasonable price. Here in Richmond we have a plethora of of chain restaurants that dot suburbia everywhere and feed the masses. I am sure in the city of Chicago, as well as L.A. and New York, moderately priced ethnic restaurants are where those that like and know good food enjoy eating.