Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#1,476 ·
True that.

Like the best breakfast I ever ate in my entire life came from this little rinkydink hole in the wall place in Watertown, MA. My dad worked one Saturday a month (service manager at Watertown Buick/Pontiac/GMC) and I would always go along, and we would visit this place. I don't even remember its name, but my god was it delicious.

But nobody here has probably heard of Watertown except TBJS.

Small town food FTMFW.

#1,478 ·
the best breakfast I ever had came from some podunk mom n pop diner out on some rural highway somewhere in southern MO. crazy huge and good portions, and if I recall it was literally dirt cheap ($4 or $5 for enough food to feed 2 people including drinks)
anyways, today I taped off the cady (took forever) and sprayed rust converter. I'm stil waiting for it to go from clear to black (doesnt look like its dried yet). once its drid I'm gonna hit it with primer and paint (no clear since my car isnt cleared).
also talked with one of my neighbors who has 2 caddys (79 cdv and an 80 fwb sedan). he was surprised to find out I had a cadillac (not sure why- its pretty hard to miss a huge car). we talked for quite sometime about these old behemoths, and what we both liked the most about them (they're huge and they float). all in all a pretty good day.

#1,479 ·
Finally got Betty back. After nearly two months and $600, all of the electrical shorts have been found and fixed, plus new battery cables installed. She starts up much easier than before. My mechanic had warned me that in trying to fix something on the ignition switch, it got all scratched up, and he wasn't kidding. It looks like hell. I can get a replacement for the bezel and the trim around the dash, but it's annoying (I'm more mad at the car than my mechanic). And because everything is so old and brittle, after pulling the dash apart, there are two new cracks in the padded dash. Plus, the right turn signal light, parking brake light and clock are no longer working. Not sure if the bulbs got jostled or broken during the process or if the clock just didn't get hooked back up, but I'm kind of annoyed that I'll have to go back and get those taken care of. Oh, well. The joys of owning an old car.

And I'm getting the effin'
P0385 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor B Circuit code — again. I had all of the CPKs replaced in October 09, and had to have one of them replaced again in January. It's probably one from 09 that's going kaput this time. :rant2:

But it was nice driving Betty home tonight. I've missed her. Had to leave Sabrina at my mechanic and will catch a ride with my neighbor to Corvallis tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, he leaves at 7 a.m., about an hour earlier than I normally do. I hate early mornings.

#1,481 ·
Seattle has a pretty good food scene too, and one that shocked me when I visited... Boise! I stayed there for two weeks, at a total of 2 meals at home, and every other at a different restaurant. Loved every meal. Very good American, Italian and German, but not so stupendous Mexican... Nowhere can beat Los Angeles for Mexican cuisine...

#1,487 ·
just got to my hotel and noticed a big crack in my windshield some stone must of hit me or something on the highway drive to NC
and now a brand new windshield that is less than 2 months old is ruined
good thing i lowed my comp deductable to 100 after i replaced it

#1,493 ·
Checked both drive belts, sharpened and balanced both blades, changed the oil using Pennzoil marine SAE30, changed the air filter, greased the front wheels and steering gear..............Oh !!!.........the car..............:banghead:

............exchanged 2 quarts of coolant - siphon 2 out, pour 2 in.

Now enjoying a mint julep. Happy Independence Day weekend...............hmmmmmm,,,,,, where's them ol' M-80's ???

#1,499 ·
Holy crap that's a lot of wiring! For now, the job is done, but I will probably take your advice if there are future problems. Called my mechanic about the ignition switch bezel, non-working dash lights and clock. He'll take care of it. I just have to get the parts, but I'll probably wait until next month.

He also checked on with crankshaft position sensor had been replaced in January. Naturally, it's not the one that's throwing the code now. Since he has to mark up those parts ($115 in January), I ordered one from a GM dealer in Texas where I've gotten OEM parts in the past for $56, plus free shipping over the holiday weekend. Will have him install the new sensor and replace the front brake pads and rotors in a week or two.

#1,502 ·
It was effing hot today. Went to a junkyard in East St Louis and found a beautiful red 1994 Saab 900, the last year for the classic C900 body style. I was tempted to take the power seats but didnt want to risk them being broken, so I grabbed a headlight switch and a piece of bodyside cladding to replace a fading one.

Now I can drive at night again.

#1,507 ·
I was there around 4pm. I love how massive the place is, except for having to trek across to the back of the property where the Euro cars are stored.

If it wasn't so hot I'd have poked around their FWD GM section.

As far as I'm concerned, this is where all Azteks belong.

Saw this gorgeous mid-90s X300 Jaguar XJ6.

So much wood and leather!

The far back end of the lot where the foreigners are parked. With an armful of parts and tools its quite a trek.

An amazingly clean 100% rust-free 1994 Saab 900 convertible, the last year for the classic C900.

The ridiculously complicated headlight switch. It has a big spring, a metal rotating ring, a plastic rotating ring, and a bunch of metal contacts inside and the whole thing is filled with what I believe is dielectric grease. I don't understand why a light switch needs to be so complicated.

MX5

And this was at the Pick N Pull on Hall St:

Sparkling clean. Needs a new diff.

#1,510 ·
I was there about 8-10 am. I prowled the GM fwd and rwd sections. that place is awesome. its where my bucket seats, console, and alot of trim pieces. I did see a few decent GM fwd cars with nice interiors and exteriors. they even have 2 reattas!.
I was looking for a set of square bose speaker pods (mounted on door) from a 80's/ early 90's fwd deville (no luck) to sit on my rear deck. the car I wanted was sitting in a pile of crushed cars :(
btw, I stopped and gawked at that exact same jag (I go through the foreign section for the hell of it).
I'll be going back there again soon to get some more caddy parts. there prices are really good depending on who you get at the counter. last time I was there I picked up leather bucket seats (great shape and same color as my int) and a center console with switches for $60 (oh yeah- and a set of alpine speakers) :) .
I havent gone to pick n pull in years. speedways selection is so much better (both in quantity and condition) its not even funny, one of these days I need to check out riverside salvage (speedways MO counterpart)

btw that delta is awesome. I hope it doesnt get ghettoized.