Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#986 ·

Technically my car is not a hatch, since my rear opening is an honest-to-goodness door.

And for another wagon (come on... you didn't expect anything less, did you?)

But alas, its needs are few, and it's paid for, so I think Roo Wagon 1.0 is here to stay for the time being.

#987 ·
^ Good move Roo. Having a reliable and paid for car in college is a real luxury, especially one as cool as the wagon.

Took my toyota junk truck to the mechanic a couple days ago. Had him change the rear seal on the tranny, where the driveshaft goes in. Thought that I had an oil leak for the longest time, amazed that there was any gear oil left in the tranny at the rate it leaked out.

Also had him change the coolant. God knows when the last time that was changed. $85 with tax for all of that, I was pleasantly surprised, thought for sure it was going to be over $100.

#990 ·
ill never see that part name in the same light

the other day we were moving furniture, someone called my older brother old, and told him to pace himself. said something along the lines of,"slow down before you blow a gasket". My brother in a perverted tone said "i dont know about you but all my gaskets are fine!"

almost instinctively i said "yea just dont ask him about his rear main seal"

it was a "you had to be there" moments.

#993 ·
ever walk into a forum and feel like you missed an awesome "you had to be there moment?" yeah me too.

I picked up a new van today- 2000 safari high top conversion (explorer did the conversion). $600 because the motor has no compression in 2 cylinders. gonna drop in the motor from the '97 because it fits and its cheaper than buying a new working van. the 2000 has just over 160k on it (and doesnt look it- guy took good care of it). interior needs a cleaning put all pieces are present and the armrests are intact (big plus on the astro/ safari van). guy said he paid 40k for it back in 2000 and that he used it as a daily driver plus road trips to southern MO.
without further ado I give you safari 2.0

#997 ·
^@ ben
I dont think he used it all the time as a daily driver but he did drive it alot (he drove it constantly on trips during the summer- maybe 300 miles round trip). drive down to the lake for the weekend then drive back up trips. he said its the only vehicle he had that wasnt totaled when sitting in front of his house (a lincoln and 2 buicks hes had over the past few years got rear ended/ sideswiped). actually the left side has 0 damage, although he had to replace the drivers mirror 5 times becaus people knocked it off. (power mirrors at that- $$$).

#998 ·
Good looking van Kevin. I really like the Astro/Safaris when they aren't the plain jane models. My mom had a '96 Astro with the Mark III package. I loved that damn thing.

It hasn't been done yet, but when I get the time the Buick has to go to the shop. The master cylinder or brake booster is going out. I won't let mom drive it with the pedal as soft as it is, so I'm driving it and leaving her the Explorer.

#1,004 ·
Removed the radiator sight shield and measured for a pair of torque struts - "dogbones". Snooped around the engine, checked this, cleaned that, tightened those. Cleaned out radiator bugs - shop vac and soft bristle brush.

#1,006 ·
Vacuumed the interior Trunk and passenger compartment
lint brushed and rolled the headliner and pillars
wiped downt he interior cleaned the inside windows with soapy water
cleaned the seats with leather cleaner then i started to pack a few things for my trip this week
so far i got one duffle and 1 cooler in the trunk a big one with wheels thing fits snug under the headliner in the trunk
opened the hood took some shop towels and lint towels and cleaned a bit under the hood got the shop vac back out and used the small hose to get the dead leaves and other things that had made its way in there over the past few months
tried to fix the spring for the console latch

#1,010 ·
What's wrong with the Aerostar? I know it's not much to look at, but not many cars were back in those days. My uncle had one just like this:

A guy that works for my stepdad had an 80's Dodge Caravan. Except it was called something else, I don't remember. It was a cargo van. No windows, no seats, no carpeting. It had a 4-cylinder and a 5-speed manual. It was a hoot to drive. Not many 4 cylinder vehicles can do burnouts. But that one could. Trust me.

#1,016 ·
UGH. The Roadmaster is in the shop. It wasn't the master cylinder that was the cause of a soft brake pedal, it's the driver side rear wheel cylinder leaking. So I dropped it off just a little while ago so he'll have it first thing in the morning. It's getting new brake shoes, new wheel bearings, new wheel cylinders, new axle seals, and fresh gear oil in the rear end.

#1,017 ·
filled the tank packed the trunk and pack seat
drove her a few miles on some erands checked the tire presure
checked fluids
getting ready to peel out of this state in just under 5 hours going to leave out for late dark erly morning trip down to VA beach
then drive her back up to MD for 2 weeks camping or well almost 2 weeks