Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#135 ·
Went to Fry's Electronics, paid 0.95$ for a pack of 1k ohms resistors, and replaced the burnt resistor on the CVRSS module with a new one.... and wooooo... the problem is solved. The code c1711 is gone! This code had set service suspension system massage and 90 mph speed limit! Now the code is gone and no more stupid massage or speed limit... Went to have a one hour test drive and apparently there is no limit for speed anymore! :D

#115 ·
Put $30 worth of 91 octane into the Regal yesterday, at $3.65 per gallon. Went from 1/8th tank to 3/4 tank. Jeez! I can remember in '04, when I had that Roadmaster, it KILLED me to put more than $30 worth of gas into it, now $30 won't even fill my much smaller tank (17 gal v. 23.5).

#117 ·
Tap into the reserves in North Dakota!! Tap tap tap!

#123 ·
With a nice warm-up in the weather, decided to finally pull my battery and fix the cut coolant sensor wire. At some point in the past the previous owner got the "low coolant" message that wouldn't go away (typical of these magnetic sensors to stick), and so the mechanic's ace repair job was to cut the plug and short the wires...

I had planned on buying a new surge tank (figured the sensor was still stuck), but apparently my good cooling system maintenance had freed it up :) I tested the sensor while the wires were disconnected, and by some miracle it was closed! (coolant full, and this was after draining the system completely last weekend for the pump gasket change). So all I had to do was repair the cut wire and was back in business!

#125 ·
^^^ wasn't even a shadetree to blame... this guy has been running a shop for decades. My aunt was the previous owner and I remember when she got the "low coolant" message. I told her she needed a new tank, would be like $50 in parts + whatever labor.

I had the car for almost a year before I noticed the cut wire next to the battery. I even called my aunt to tell her what I found, she adamantly defended him. I told her, "this is the same mechanic who's 'repair' was to unplug the washer fluid level sensor on your Mercedes?" God knows what else he hacked on that car...

#128 ·
warmer weather (above freezing), lower than normal traffic volume on expressway, during a couple long on-ramps I reacquainted myself with the 95mph reading on my speedometer. Hello, long time no see.

Sport Mode didn't want to let go of the RPMs, it held 3rd gear at 3500RPM while I coasted for a 1/4 mile. had to bump it into 5th to get her to relax a little - I wasn't going to keep pushing the gas like that for the whole drive home.

#131 ·
It is. It's happy to be on the car. :) I'm totally in love with the smoothies. I've had a few people ask me about them while driving, it's pretty cool to see how much something that easy makes a car stand out (excluding on-campus... I already stand out there, being the largest vehicle there is :lol:)

#139 ·
Picked her up from the Shop started her up was so happy to finally see a working gas needle and the fuel range working for the first time in 22 months that i have owned it
drove home to only remember i forgot the att guy was coming to set up u-verse today
so he was waitng about only 5 minutes he said when i got home

then went back out around 2 dropped her off at the body shop signed the papers saying they can work on her
asked them to sandblast the hood also and repaint it they said no sand blasting and they wouldn't refinish it because they wont do work that they cant gurantee so thats a no go but 2 passenger side doors will be repairs from the dent of the hit and run and then repainted moldings repaired or replaced also
said she will be ready Monday or Tuesday

Then Enterprise came and picked me up
was expecting a 300 or a Lucerne but they did not have it so they brought a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3k on it
said it was just purchased for there fleet 5 days erlier and drove from the west coast to ohio on a one way trip so now i have a car that is brand new for a week atleast
but not happy so going to see if i can get a 300 or lucerne tomorrow perhaps

#140 ·
Really not very much.

I set up the Bricklin pneumatics with the new compressor but didn't fire it up to test everything.
Bought some new stainless bolts and lock washers for the radiator.
Took out the battery and battery box on the Mazda praying that the sensor I got will fix the transmission issue.
Looked at my e-mail you find my Corbreau seats finally shipped! :cool2:

Tomorrow is the big work day...

#141 ·
Took FireFox in for an oil change. My tech in the service department started a commotion about 10 minutes after I sat down in the waiting room. I wondered how long it would take. By the time I rounded the corner there were 5 or 6 techs/advisors taking pictures under my hood. Got her home and programmed my tablet for the OBDII interface and checked codes - supercharger over boost warning in history. Guess I'm going to get that a lot till the retune. Washed, polished, and covered till its time to go back to Warsaw. Front tires, 245/45ZR18, are in and will be mounted this weekend on my Z06 (summer) wheels. Back tires, 275/35ZR18, are on back order. Don't need the set till April, anyway.

#142 ·
I started working on the caddies body. removed most of the rocker trim (theres quite a bit of it). found a few spots of rust that I need to treat, and some rust in the bottom panel seam on the backside of the doors and trunk hidden under the chrome trim. looks like I'm gonna have a fund spring and end up with a half primer, half cream caddy.
I also checked the fluids (dont run the car anymore since the accident.) I found out why it smelled bad whenever I fired it up when I worked on it (like having power accessories when working one it- and it makes it easier to move around the yard when it runs)
anyways- the oil is charred on the top and bottom of the measurable area of the dipstick, and a light carmel color in the middle. I've never seen oil like that (its new oil too- under 1500 miles on it) I also checked the coolant to find alot of it is gone, and theres oil in the bottom of the resevoir with a thin layer of coolant on top of it. I already knew the trans dripped when I ran it, but I think its leaking now even when the car sits. its amazing how being cut off can screw up your car. I guess I wont be keeping the engine block as a spare for my lesabre anymore. anyone need a 400 lbs olds doorstop with 67k miles.?