What did you do to your car today? - Page 747
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 747 of 942 FirstFirst ... 247 647 697 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 797 847 ... LastLast
Results 11,191 to 11,205 of 14127
Like Tree7773Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What did you do to your car today? in General Discussion; It appears in the first two years run of the Toronados the only option for the wheels were either silver ...
    orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: What did you do to your car today?

It appears in the first two years run of the Toronados the only option for the wheels were either silver or chrome, either with or without the outer wheel trim but with the small "dog dish" hub caps. In 1968 the full wheel covers were available.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Photo op!

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Photo op!

^^^ Three takes on what's cool!

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin

Strato bench (1 piece bottom, 3 piece top with passengers recline). There was not a split bench option in 66.
    If you let your wife drive and she's short, do you hang your feet out the window or sit in back?

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    If you let your wife drive and she's short, do you hang your feet out the window or sit in back?
    You just don't!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Don't have a wife.
    If I did, I'd sit in back, fold the pass seat forward flat, and put my feet up. Of course, this is given I'd have a wife who (of course) would love old cars and wouldn't be like "I want to take the prius" (because I would not marry someone who hated old cars and/ or drove a prius)
    77CDV likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I vaguely remember one of those "wife" people you speak of....
    ben.gators and CadillacLuke24 like this.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    I vaguely remember one of those "wife" people you speak of....
    Been almost 6 mos since my divorce, never felt like i was married, just in hell.
    70eldo likes this.

I unwittingly bought a 1980 SDV when I was first married not realizing the power bench was going to be a problem.
    First time the wife took over on the road to Vegas I had to climb over and sit in the back.
    My wife likes the old junkers I bring home.

The choice of a wife is probably the most important decision a man makes in his life. She can support and enhance his "pursuit of happiness" or she can hinder if not totally prevent his progress in obtaining his goals in life.

Unfortunately at the time a man makes this decision for the first time he is, probably, least capable of making a sound decision in this vital area of his life. Inexperience plus strong hormonal interference leave a young man open to a serious mistake in his decision making. This is true for women as well.

Those of us who have been "lucky in love" are the virtual winners in life. Many of those who have been less fortunate seem to be condemned to repeat their first experience over and over again.

I wish all those who are presently seeking a mate the very best of luck!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    The hubcaps will be saved (they are in very good shape). One was dented in the 70s, and the P.O. said he was on a roadtrip and saw a little roadside junkyard with a wall of hubcaps. After looking them over, he saw one on the wall, but after waiting, and seeing no one around the yard or in the office, he left $5 on the counter for it and left. The dented one is in the trunk, along with a second rim and tire.
    As for the rims being black, they appear to be factory. Granted the P.O. bought it in 68, and he said the guy who owned it before him lived in lansing and worked for olds doing something (I want to say he said it was something in either the production or ordering office- like he was the guy who took orders for an area or something) so they might have been swapped. Whether that story is true or not, I dunno. It also shows no signs of ever having trim rings on them.
    Dave, alot of the rust appears to be related to the piss poor paint job in the 80s. There are some small bubbles on the pass side A pillar at the bottom, and on the doors and fenders/ quarters which would be from moisture getting under the paint on the front side. There are also some rust through holes in the doors behind the trim (again, not taken care of when they should have been) and the wheel well lips are rough but 3 of the 4 feel solid (again, I think it was due to a poor paint job) . One of the rear wheel wells (right rear) is toast. When I grabbed it by the wheel well to move it (there were 4 of us shoving this car around to get it at the right angle to get picked by the tow truck), the inner wheel well lip crushed in where part of my hand was (also, there was some bondo in the area).
    The floor pans seem salvagable (once I got it out in day light I was able to crawl under the car and feel them/ put pressure on them.) The drivers side has a couple thumb sized holes, and the pass side has a thumb sized hole and a long rust spot where the floor pans meet the front seat supports (can't see it, but I could push up on the floor pans and stick my hand in the hole. I'm guessing I'll need a good sized patch for that.)
    There are also a few areas (lower fenders behind wheel wells, lower quarters between doors and wheels) where the sheetmetal was skimmed in bondo which has since come loose (might need new rockers eventually). Still, I have a much cleaner donor car coming for body patch pieces.
    It seems the guy who did the paint job in the 80s did not prep the not seen areas or treat the (then minor) rust, and as such, the paint on the bottoms of the quarters/ where the bumpers cover the sheet metal/ where the rocker chrome is fell off or let water behind it. The interior also needs some help. Seems our favorite paint guy also painted the steel part of the dash and got paint on some of the chrome on the dash and bottom of the glass.
    Still, I think its a pretty cool and not often seen car and worth saving. I figure if I can get it running, I can fix the rust as I go.
    All this sounds so familiar. I remember thinking a lot of the same things when I bought my 69 FWB. Five years and mucho dinero later........
    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Sounds like a great save and a good plan!
    I knew you'd find a way to bring them into the digital age, Dave. Yesterday, I drove the 69 down to my sister's place in Long Beach (about 150 miles round trip). Longest drive yet since getting the car back. It drives and rides well, but I really must do something about the side windows that don't seal well if at all against the weather stripping. Wind noise is annoying.
    talismandave likes this.

^^^ Ah, yes, wind noise, just one of the pleasures of old cars! I hate to tell you, they had plenty of "wind noise" when they were new!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Well, yeah, flying brick school of design and all. But, no, we're talking serious gaps between the window and weather stripping. Before restoration, even with the cracked and crumbling rubber, the car was actually pretty quiet at speed. I also think finishing the trunk will go a long way to muting the road noise.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Installed another filler on the caddy. Also removed the left rear filler. I'll have to sand down some rust from screws that were drilled through the body (that I'll have to reuse because 2 of the threads are completely gone) then I'll drop the rear bumper and install the new fillers (and I'll clean/ paint the inside of the rear bumper while I have it off.)

Also, I'm thinking about painting the wheel well chrome body color ala eldorado touring coupe.
    77CDV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    All this sounds so familiar. I remember thinking a lot of the same things when I bought my 69 FWB. Five years and mucho dinero later........
    I knew you'd find a way to bring them into the digital age, Dave. Yesterday, I drove the 69 down to my sister's place in Long Beach (about 150 miles round trip). Longest drive yet since getting the car back. It drives and rides well, but I really must do something about the side windows that don't seal well if at all against the weather stripping. Wind noise is annoying.
    Vaseline on the window seals will help reduce wind noise and the god awful squeaking some of those make. The Cadillac Dealership would give jars to owners to keep in their glove box.

At least that's the reason my Uncle would give for having Vaseline in the glove box of the Great Pumpkin (1975 Mandarine over Black Fleetwood).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.