What did you do to your car today? - Page 677
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 677 of 942 FirstFirst ... 177 577 627 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 727 777 ... LastLast
Results 10,141 to 10,155 of 14117
Like Tree7771Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What did you do to your car today? in General Discussion; I guess that it is true, that Cadillac drivers (along with many other Americans) are the "couch potatoes" of the ...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: What did you do to your car today?

I guess that it is true, that Cadillac drivers (along with many other Americans) are the "couch potatoes" of the driving world!

I agree that Honda has a great clutch/manual transmission combination, I don't agree that the BMW manual is a looser.

I will say that a base engined level 3 series with a automatic is a bit of a dog .... admittedly a good handling dog, but a woofer never the less!

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

All the stick-shift Hondas I've driven are light, precise and satisfying. So was the four speed in my '74 Celica. The BMW Z3 I had for a weekend a few years ago also shifted beautifully and was a perfect match for the matchless straight six. The Z3 is like a Miata in that an automatic in such a car is sacrilegious.

As I've argued before — in an avalanche of words between me and Rick — a car doesn't have to have a stick to be involving and fun to drive, and you can be a driving enthusiast even if you prefer an automatic as your DD.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Wasn't it just a few months ago that Ryan said he had enjoyed his time with the Seville, but he'd never go back to a vehicle of similar fundamentals after driving a smaller, nimbler car? To think I got slammed for questioning whether he knew what he actually wanted or not...
    Yeah I do remember that. I don't think I was the one doing the slamming, was I? I think it was others who said I was crazy or BMW's are to plain or small. Something to the effect like that. Of course no Cadillac other than the ATS can match the E46 for driving dynamics. It was such a small, nimble car. A great one at that. But alas, it wasn't meant to be. I have always thought that I would be back in a Seville wether or not I could admit it. I enjoyed mine very much... even when it was being a pain in the ass!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    I guess that it is true, that Cadillac drivers (along with many other Americans) are the "couch potatoes" of the driving world!

I agree that Honda has a great clutch/manual transmission combination, I don't agree that the BMW manual is a looser.

I will say that a base engined level 3 series with a automatic is a bit of a dog .... admittedly a good handling dog, but a woofer never the less!
    Going from a 300HP Northstar V8 to a 2.5 Inline 6 w/ 170hp is quite a difference. Now I will give the BMW points for being smooth as silk all the way to redline but the power wasn't there. It was most noticeable when merging or trying to pass somebody. That's where the Northstar shined so brightly.

As I have said before, when the weight and horse power of a car go up the enjoyment of a stick shift goes down. The extra muscle necessary to operate the clutch on a heavy high powered car, and the extra effort to work the gear exchange on such a car, IMO, become work that does not deliver the same enjoyment as in a light car.

A stick shift in a car like Seville would be hindrance instead of a joy, IMO same goes for a stick in a Corvette. When there is sufficient power to make an automatic provide the same pleasure and performance then I am all for it. But in a light, moderately powered car my choice would be a manual transmission. In my more youthful years I drove plenty of stick shift cars in L.A. traffic and never found it an undue hardship ..... but of course in those days we didn't have all the gadgets and sound systems to distract us from the pleasure of driving a good machine.
    bigm57ict likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    Here's a good read.

motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1302_2012_bmw_335i_2013_cadillac_ats_mercedes_benz _c350_comparison/viewall.html
    Forum won't make it a link without the leading stuff:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    Going from a 300HP Northstar V8 to a 2.5 Inline 6 w/ 170hp is quite a difference. Now I will give the BMW points for being smooth as silk all the way to redline but the power wasn't there. It was most noticeable when merging or trying to pass somebody. That's where the Northstar shined so brightly.
    I agree. I commute on a two-lane rural highway, and passing opportunities are limited. Plus, too many Oregon drivers can't find their gas pedals. Stomping on the gas delivers a quick, crisp downshift and the Northstar races for the redline, producing both prodigious thrust and a marvelous sound.

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    As I have said before, when the weight and horse power of a car go up the enjoyment of a stick shift goes down. The extra muscle necessary to operate the clutch on a heavy high powered car, and the extra effort to work the gear exchange on such a car, IMO, become work that does not deliver the same enjoyment as in a light car.

A stick shift in a car like Seville would be hindrance instead of a joy.
    I agree. Even when GM was otherwise putting out crap, its automatic transmissions and air conditioning systems were above reproach. Despite having only four speeds, the automatic in my Seville is smooth, crisp and responsive — exactly what I want.

A recent issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines had an article discussing the insanity of 8-speed automatics, correctly pointing out that all that shifting up and down is bound to wear parts out faster. With proper ratios, I would think five or at most six speeds would be enough to keep an engine at an efficient RPM at highway speeds.
    orconn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Forum won't make it a link without the leading stuff:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
    I am impressed! What they really liked was the Mercedes "red" safety belts. What I got out of the article was they tested three quick cars with a lot of rattles and squeaks .... all for a $50,000 each price tag!
    drewsdeville likes this.

Much preferred the 4 speed auto in my Seville to the 5 speed unit in the BMW. Both were good but the Seville's was smoother and downshifted quicker. There were times where the BMW's would almost get confused and then it would make up it's mind.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Great cars. It's hard when somebody like me loves BMW's and Cadillac's and don't need both. I still think the new 3 Series is a better car than the ATS.
    Overall, maybe. But anything chassis/suspension? Not even close. The ATS can be improved upon in things the BMW can't...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Overall, maybe. But anything chassis/suspension? Not even close. The ATS can be improved upon in things the BMW can't...
    Oh yeah that's what I meant. If GM could fix the roughness of the 2.0 Turbo and refine the transmission a bit the car would be a better car than the 3 Series no doubt. The suspension already handily beats the F30.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by orconn

I am impressed! What they really liked was the Mercedes "red" safety belts. What I got out of the article was they tested three quick cars with a lot of rattles and squeaks .... all for a $50,000 price tag!
    My lesabre has red seat belts and squeaks.
    And all at 1/20th the price!!!
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    My lesabre has red seat belts and squeaks.
    And all at 1/20th the price!!!
    The Lesabre rides smoother too.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Oh yeah that's what I meant. If GM could fix the roughness of the 2.0 Turbo and refine the transmission a bit the car would be a better car than the 3 Series no doubt. The suspension already handily beats the F30.
    That Ecotec is a VERY tunable motor. It may never be BMW smooth, but it can be lethal...

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Rhetorical question: How many clutches per year would a stereotypical Grandma/Grandpa go through in a 5-speed FWD Seville/Devile ?

My step-grandmother drove a stick up into her 60s. Her '66 Comet had a three-on-a-tree, and her '76 Granada Ghia had what I suspect was a very rare three-speed on the floor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.