Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#2,216 ·
changed the oil cleaned inside of wheel's off vibration is like 85% better now will be 100% i think ones the new shocks go on this week
but scratching my head about how come i put 7.5 qts of oil put 7 in the engine fill hole and .5 in the filter
and its only comming to just bellow where the hask starts on the dipstick
but 7.5 in my car is supposed to bring it to the middle of the has i think so not sure just scratching my head on that

#2,219 ·
Waxed it today.

As I was taking off my license plate I noticed this sticker on the inside of the frame it mounts to.

It reads "Lebenshilfe im Nürnberger Land" and after some research on google it turns out it's the name of a nonprofit in Germany which helps those with mental disabilities.

http://www.lebenshilfe-nbg-land.de/_rubric/index.php?rubric=startseite

How did that get there.

Also I found out the screwdriver from my trunk toolkit has a flathead side! :alright:

#2,230 ·
The Gateway Riverfront Corvette Show was this weekend and since they expressly forbid me to be part of the show, I cruised through a few times just to let them know what a real Luxury Sports Car looked like. First I cruised thru with the top up and revving in 1st the whole way. Then I put the top down and crept thru letting everyone get a good look. Then I did another pass to take pictures.

#2,231 ·
In anticipation of doing another autocross in a couple of weeks, I took the back road home from work today. There's a stretch with six sharp turns, most of them at or close to 90º within 1.5 miles, and by braking early, I could take them fairly fast — at least double the speed on the warning signs — and accelerate out of them briskly. Twas fun.

#2,235 ·
This was on Sunday, but an update on Betty:

Still haven't found the cause or gotten rid of the drain, but we did locate where it's coming from. One of the wires from relay next to the voltage regulator that then goes back through the firewall has a constant 1 amp draw. My friend marked the wire and is going to write up a summary of what he found that I can take to a mechanic. I'm not doing anything until I get back from Europe, but there's a shop I drive by everyday, Corvallis Auto Electric, where I plan to take the car. I'm thinking that if they specialize in automotive electrics, they might have a better handle on the problem than my regular mechanic.

Sam also soldered a couple of broken light bulb connectors, but what a pain in the ass getting everything back in. Everything is so freaking tight under the dash. To plug the right turn signal and parking brake light into the cluster, the A/C duct to the driver's side outlet has to be removed, but when putting it back in, the duct keeps popping them out of their sockets. We finally got them in, but one of the dash lights popped out, and not only that, the bulb fell out into the cluster, and we could not get it back out, so it's rattling around in there. Sam didn't have one, but I have a small magnetic wand, so I may try to get it out. And of course, I'll have to repeat the whole damn process with the A/C duct.

We also unplugged the ignition switch to test it, and getting all that back together was another pain in the ass. Wriggling around under the dash unplugged the cigarette lighter, A/C fan and light bulb for the HVAC cluster. And the only way to get to the light socket is by pushing the radio out of the way. We got everything plugged back in but then in putting the radio back in, it pulled the bulb out again. :dammit: By this time, it was nearly 4:30, 100º in Pullman, and I had a 400+ mile, 7-hour drive home, so we said f*ck it. I'll deal with it later.

Got home after midnight, fighting high winds from Pullman all the way to past Cascade Locks on I-84 in the Columbia River Gorge. Betty has the aerodynamics of a brick, so I was constantly correcting to stay in my lane. Between the frustrations of the afternoon and the long-ass drive, I was beat by the time I got home.

Hoover was a trouper, however. He dozed some, but spent a lot of the trip with his chin resting on the top of the seat back looking out the window.

#2,236 ·
DTS bumper is now fixed. Yay!