Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#1,874 ·
got 1 one my front crossovers wired in. gonna do the other on tomorrow morning. found out that my right rear channel is grounding out somewhere, so I'll need to track that down or just buy 5 more feet of wire and re-run the channel. I'll probably do the second option- cost me about $5 and I wont have to spend all day figuring out where its grounding out.
also cleaned out and reorganized my trunk. I had stuff in there from almost a year ago. also found some of my college stuff (buried under 200 + lbs of car parts.) still haven't found my wire splitter/ crimper, which sucks.
this week I'm gonna fab up brackets to hold my 3.5 infinity tweets (in place of the factory 4x6's) and mod my bose door pods (off a '91 seville) to hold my 6.5 infinity woofers. I've measured and its 100% doable. see, bose is good for something, or at least their speaker pods are.

#1,876 ·
I found an amoco squeegee in my trunk and I have no clue how that got in there. I also found a new paint brush (neither of those things are mine.)
I also found 6 radios (not including the stock radio or the aftermarket one I'm installing), 3 bose amps (wheres the 4th?) , 2 bose tweeters, and 12 speakers. I also found another left chrome tailfin, a deville v emblem, along with the center of a pontiac rallye rim, and a buick emblem.

did I mention my trunk is awesome?

#1,880 ·
when I bought my car it had all the extensions intact except the front fender ones (had holes in them). I removed those. the front ones are in about 20 pieces now. the right rear one collapsed when I washed the car one day (got a little water on it and it collapsed). the left rear one split in 2 at the top point. one day I shut the trunk and half of the panel ended up on the ground. the other half is holding on for dear life (its literally being held together by the paint on it. lol)

#1,882 ·
The RQPEs on ours are the only ones to have bitten the dust, the rest are all in good shape. The LH extension started deteriorating about three years ago and basically went to pieces while being washed thanks to one well placed jet of water from a hose. I first noticed cracking on the RH extension in 2009 and it finally gave up the ghost last fall.

#1,883 ·
I didnt fill my holes with anything. as the panels fall apart I remove the mounting brackets and leave them as is. I've seen people try to fill the holes with duck tape and aluminum duct tape , along with various other materials that dont belong on a car, and IMO it looks better to have floating tail fins then duck/duct tape extensions.

#1,888 ·
Yeah, it held up fine for the first 250 or so, then I just got tired of hearing it flap in the wind so I threw it away. Really wish I had taken a photo. lol It was held on by all sorts of crap... duct tape, scotch tape, 3M command strips, poster mounting tape, black electrical tape... you name it.

#1,890 ·
Those plastic filler things sucked ass!!!! Every single paint blemish on my old 91 Brougham was on those damn plastic fillers, paint was awesome on any metal part. The clear coat was starting to let go on the front ones when I sold it, the paint was toast on the top of the rear fillers. The original one below the license plate was cracked into about 6 or 7 pieces when I bought it, did a homemade paint job on the replacement that looked like utter garbage after a year or so.

I never did understand the reason behind the big rear fillers on the 74-92 cars. They had solid metal where that urathane filler is on previous years, it looked so much cleaner and of course didn't fall apart after about 6 or 8 years.

#1,900 ·
I never did understand the reason behind the big rear fillers on the 74-92 cars. They had solid metal where that urathane filler is on previous years, it looked so much cleaner and of course didn't fall apart after about 6 or 8 years.
It was because of a federal bumper standards that went into effect back in the 70s that required bumpers to absorb a 5 MPH impact without damage. The bumper fillers were necessary for the bumper to absorb the impact and bounce back.

In the case of the original bumper standards, automakers had to redesign the bumpers on existing platforms, and that's why many mid-70s cars look so awkward with protruding bumpers. I'm not sure why GM didn't come up with a more elegant solution when it redesigned the B-, C- and D-body cars for 1977. When the A-bodies came out in 1978, the Pontiac LeMans/Grand Am and Chevrolet Monte Carlo had more integrated bumpers with urethane covers, like all cars have today.

#1,891 ·
yours had paint? on mine the paint literally faded away (except for the outside of the left rear filler, which was repainted). IMO those fillers are the worst part about the 77-92 rwd caddys. theres no reason they couldnt have made them out of metal or the harder plastic used on the strips between the trunk lid and rear bumper.