What did you do to your car today? - Page 517
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 517 of 932 FirstFirst ... 17 417 467 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 567 617 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,755 of 13975
Like Tree7710Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What did you do to your car today? in General Discussion; Haha. Today? Discovered that my column shifter is broken. So now it's a pair of vise-grips. Gotta do what you ...
    Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Re: What did you do to your car today?

Haha.

Today? Discovered that my column shifter is broken. So now it's a pair of vise-grips.

Gotta do what you gotta do.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ View Post
    Will somebody please get in here and clean this thread up. Way OFF Topic doesn't begin to describe the crap here lately!

...um...how is that what you did to your car today?
    Lupin and Lupin like this.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Don't poke the Gizmo, Dave!

Haha, have you picked up your Coupe DeVille yet, Gizmo?

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    In even more completely unrelated news, every owner of the DOHC 4.6 V8 is unhappy that their car puffs blue smoke out the tailpipe after 2-3 years.
    Mines wont be...

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    The leaking of oil from aluminum and aluminum/other alloy engines has been a fact of life ever since these materials have been used to make engines. The trade off has been their relative lightness and their better ability to to shed heat.

Detroit didn't begin to produced anything that could approach the efficiency and output of the North* engine until well into the new century. That fact that the Northstar engines have run up an enviable record (for a high performance engine) for both high mileage and reliable performance pretty much speaks for itself (at least to those who will accept the facts). The biggest flaw in the overall North star* design was the use of the engine in applications that required dropping the engine and its' cradle for what in other applications in luxury cars would be considered routine maintenance (Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Jaguar). The Northstar was never meant for use in truly mass market "transportation"cars but in cars whose initial cost put them out of reach of those who could afford merely low tech, low cost cars.
    My two all aluminum LS1 cars didn't use any oil. One had 140k when I sold it, the other 95k. I put about 100k miles on both cars, both ran like swiss watches and required nothing but normal maintence(except the 4l60e taking a dump at 100k in my 99, but that's a whole nother story). One was a 99 and the other a 98, both of them put out about 50 more horsepower and 50lb-ft more torque than any Northstar.

And drew was right, by about 96-97, other luxury makes had better v8's out than the N*, and kept improving the lot. GM just sat on their hands with the N* and never fixed major design problems. At least Jaguar and BMW recalled their Nikisel motors and improved them over the years.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    I believe the point of GizmoQ's post is to remind everyone that there are pure chit-chat threads in The Lounge - this one happens to be for posting what tinkering you've done on your car - Not how many quarts of milk you lugged home. Yes, the posts ramble and fade in and out of "What did you do ....", but please stay pretty close to topic - otherwise posts will begin disappearing.

----------

Whoops...I missed putting ford in my statement. Seems like every crown vic/ gran marquis/ town car/ ford truck/ van around here with the 4.6 puffs blue smoke (especially the ones from the 90s and early 00s). I guess its a ford thing.
    You have 2 posts detailing how apparently every engine in the vicinity of SantLoois ("around here") burns oil. Rather than being your uneducated comments on manufacturers, could that mean the clowns in your area have no idea of how to maintain a car ? You would have been 4 years old in the "mid-90's" - You sure were an observant little cuss !

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409

I believe the point of GizmoQ's post is to remind everyone that there are pure chit-chat threads in The Lounge - this one happens to be for posting what tinkering you've done on your car - Not how many quarts of milk you lugged home. Yes, the posts ramble and fade in and out of "What did you do ....", but please stay pretty close to topic - otherwise posts will begin disappearing.

----------

You have 2 posts detailing how apparently every engine in the vicinity of SantLoois ("around here") burns oil. Rather than being your uneducated comments on manufacturers, could that mean the clowns in your area have no idea of how to maintain a car ? You would have been 4 years old in the "mid-90's" - You sure were an observant little cuss !
    So you complain that we're off topic, then continue with off topic remarks?
    FWIW, I know people who had new ford cars w/ 4.6s back then...and then burned oil after a couple years.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    Don't poke the Gizmo, Dave!

Haha,....
    As Geraldine always said,"The devil made me do it."

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Was not aware of the fact there are only certain threads in forum where chit chat is allowed. Perhaps we need a sticky listing those, since we can't guess which threads are sacred to whom?

Or, alternatively, it might be a case of certain people who always seem to whatever the thread or topic always seem to want to take a discussion that is containing light hearted ribbing, and turn them into an all out flame war.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

So you complain that we're off topic, then continue with off topic remarks?
    Nay, nay, kind Sir - The "oily" thing began creeping back in here at about Post #7693 - and has risen and fallen since then; leaks, blue smoke, filters, changes - I'm just doing an end-around slap at the false assumption that ALL Northstars and Fords "burn/leak oil". Some do; most don't.

Back on topic
    Dropped off the safari at the body shop, where it will reside for approx 1.5 weeks.
    I have a 2012 ('13?) Town and country as a replacement (they wanted to give me an altima....I can't see working out of one without trashing it)
    So far I wouldn't buy one
    Good: gauges look nice. Stow and go (while not as easy as simply removing seats) is fairly quick and idiot proof (pull 4 numbered tethers and the seats drop into the floors.)
    Engine has plenty of power.
    Radio is up high and easy to see/ navigate (since its a touch screen) has a glovebox for USB plugins (so no one can see your ipod/ etc). The radio also sounds respectable
    Overhead console with switches to open/ close sliding and rear door is handy. It also has a convex mirror you can pop down to watch the kids.
    Wood accents are nice (although I'm pretty sure they are plastic)
    Rear Aux plugins and TV screens in the console to keep the munchkins happy
    Bad:
    Tires chirp upon acceleration (even very light accel.)
    Front seats are uncomfortable and rear seats are very uncomfortable.
    Key fob hits you in the leg.
    Shifter is weird to operate
    Interior is overly plastic
    Car makes weird electrical motor noises in dash and doors after being shut off.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Back on topic
    Dropped off the safari at the body shop, where it will reside for approx 1.5 weeks.
    I have a 2012 ('13?) Town and country as a replacement (they wanted to give me an altima....I can't see working out of one without trashing it)
    So far I wouldn't buy one
    Good: gauges look nice. Stow and go (while not as easy as simply removing seats) is fairly quick and idiot proof (pull 4 numbered tethers and the seats drop into the floors.)
    Engine has plenty of power.
    Radio is up high and easy to see/ navigate (since its a touch screen) has a glovebox for USB plugins (so no one can see your ipod/ etc). The radio also sounds respectable
    Overhead console with switches to open/ close sliding and rear door is handy. It also has a convex mirror you can pop down to watch the kids.
    Wood accents are nice (although I'm pretty sure they are plastic)
    Rear Aux plugins and TV screens in the console to keep the munchkins happy
    Bad:
    Tires chirp upon acceleration (even very light accel.)
    Front seats are uncomfortable and rear seats are very uncomfortable.
    Key fob hits you in the leg.
    Shifter is weird to operate
    Interior is overly plastic
    Car makes weird electrical motor noises in dash and doors after being shut off.

I have a town and country, its not fun at all to drive..let alone work on, dont replace the intake manifold gasket on this thing, let attempt spark plug replacement without having done so first..a bitch to work on.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I'm thinking of what suspension parts to buy. I'm thinkin' Arnott

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

It is that time of year again, what kind of window washer fluid do you guys recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by orconn
    It is that time of year again, what kind of window washer fluid do you guys recommend?
    The blue kind.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Green kind for life. Bug remover, yo.

Rigged my shifter up. Got tired of the vise grips. Really need to go to the junkyard this weekend... lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.