What did you do to your car today? - Page 24
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 958 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 124 524 ... LastLast
Like Tree7976Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What did you do to your car today? in General Discussion; Ray, the wagon sounds a lot like the exhaust on the Roadmaster. Only I have the factory "train horn"....
    ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

Re: What did you do to your car today?

Ray, the wagon sounds a lot like the exhaust on the Roadmaster. Only I have the factory "train horn".

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

My horn came from a train. Two trains and a Peterbuilt, actually.

Replaced trunk emblem...errr... Rear Door Emblem, due to vandalism.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    Installed this on the 'Lade today:

Came brand new in the box, and was pretty damn cheap, but a complete toss up as to whether the auto highbeam function (why I got it) was going to work or not... you know, since everything electronic on GM cars requires a damn Tech II.

Plugged it in, mounted it, went out this evening and voila! Auto high beams on a dark road... didn't even have to calibrate the sensor or the sensitivity level. Win.

I still have yet to drive a car with an auto mirror that works. I have gotten used to having my mirror tilted up, so all I see is the very top of the rear window. I just raise my head up to see the full view.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I still have yet to drive a car with an auto mirror that works. I have gotten used to having my mirror tilted up, so all I see is the very top of the rear window. I just raise my head up to see the full view.
    LOL, this one IS auto dimming, but that's not why I got it (my existing mirror was already auto dim). The box on the bottom is a light sensitive camera for the automatic high beam operation. So when you enter a dark stretch of road, it will turn the high beams on... As soon as headlights or streetlights enter the horizon line, the camera senses it, and returns to low beam functionality. It is damn near flawless in execution.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

removed the seats and carpet out of the car so I can powerwash the carpet (also so I dont get metal flecks in the carpet from derusting the doors.) the cigarette ash dust coming off the carpet was incredibly thick. Also found out my carpet is supposed to be a light off white, not tan. ewww.
    the carpet is orange/ brown under the seats. I also found burn holes in between the seats that went through the leather. guess someone dropped their cigs. alot.
    pics to come whenever I find my camera.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

LOL, this one IS auto dimming, but that's not why I got it (my existing mirror was already auto dim). The box on the bottom is a light sensitive camera for the automatic high beam operation. So when you enter a dark stretch of road, it will turn the high beams on... As soon as headlights or streetlights enter the horizon line, the camera senses it, and returns to low beam functionality. It is damn near flawless in execution.
    that's another pet peeve of mine. there are two rather dark roads i drive all the time. there never fails to be at least one oncoming car who either cannot or will not turn off his high beams.

when I am king, there will be no high beams, and no horns. banned. permanently.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

It is a very cool gadget... But I can imagine some conditions that it can be a source of problem for the driver... As an example, assume you are driving in a very dark narrow and curvy road and your speed is about over 50 mph. In this condition you really need your high beam to see the road. Now assume suddenly a car appears from the horizon and the system automatically switches your beam leaving you with very little visibility....This sudden and unpredicted loss of visibility can be a bit dangerous. In general it is a cool system, but sometimes it is safer and more convenient to switch manually....

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

that's another pet peeve of mine. there are two rather dark roads i drive all the time. there never fails to be at least one oncoming car who either cannot or will not turn off his high beams.

Probably was me at least once in the Eldo (55W HID low beams and 55W HID Fogs - bringing the daylight!).

/Back on topic

Got back from W4Me last night, hopefully he'll do the final mods on Firefox and dyno over the next week. STL Cars and Coffee is Saturday April 2, so I want it ready (Haven't gotten up that early in a while, but its the planned unveiling of the Summer look for FireFox).

Took the Eldo out today for a wash and shine. Found two complete breaks in my front grill - AAAARRRRGGGHH! Need to head to the junk yard tomorrow and find another replacement Chrome surround.

Dug out the 20" wire wheels from the basement and two were flat. Will work that tomorrow, too.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 165.6MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

See, I put it in just 4 u!

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    It is a very cool gadget... But I can imagine some conditions that it can be a source of problem for the driver... As an example, assume you are driving in a very dark narrow and curvy road and your speed is about over 50 mph. In this condition you really need your high beam to see the road. Now assume suddenly a car appears from the horizon and the system automatically switches your beam leaving you with very little visibility....This sudden and unpredicted loss of visibility can be a bit dangerous. In general it is a cool system, but sometimes it is safer and more convenient to switch manually....
    You can ALWAYS manually over-ride the system by flicking the high beam stalk manually.

The I-35 toll-road through Kansas was a big inspiration for this upgrade. Some way or another I always end up on that stupid turnpike in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, so do deer. The problem is I get tired of flicking the high beams on and off every time a car approaches so I end up just leaving the low beams on and chancing that I won't come up on a deer too quickly to do anything about it. Every inch of advance warning counts with those sons of bitches on desolate stretches of road, so with the auto highbeams I don't even have to mess with it. Better for the high beams to turn it off a little early on occasion, than to not be on at all.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Back in the fifties and sixties (at least) we used to have automatic dimmers as an option on upscale GM cars. When it first came out (like a lot of gimmicks) everyone thought it was really, but over the years it became more of nuisance that an aid. The systems tum the high beams down, but usually late so the driver had to manually go to low beams. Ambient street light often turn off the high beams when they were needed. So as a accessory the high beam automatic dimmer lost favor.

Personally, I much preferred the floor button actuated dimmer, which let the driver decide when to lower or turn on the high beams. I guess the European style column switch is OK when you have a manual trans mission (my '65 Lambo was the first car to have this feature for me), but with an automatic transmission the left foot operated floor button works better for dimming the high beams.

There are somethings I much prefer to have left to the discretion of the driver, the dimming and turning on of the high beams is one of them.

ltdltc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

Installed this on the 'Lade today:

Came brand new in the box, and was pretty damn cheap, but a complete toss up as to whether the auto highbeam function (why I got it) was going to work or not... you know, since everything electronic on GM cars requires a damn Tech II.

Plugged it in, mounted it, went out this evening and voila! Auto high beams on a dark road... didn't even have to calibrate the sensor or the sensitivity level. Win.
    When you activate it does anything come up on the DIC? I'm thinking that this would work in 2006+ DTS's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Back in the fifties and sixties (at least) we used to have automatic dimmers as an option on upscale GM cars. When it first came out (like a lot of gimmicks) everyone thought it was really, but over the years it became more of nuisance that an aid. The systems tum the high beams down, but usually late so the driver had to manually go to low beams. Ambient street light often turn off the high beams when they were needed. So as a accessory the high beam automatic dimmer lost favor.

Personally, I much preferred the floor button actuated dimmer, which let the driver decide when to lower or turn on the high beams. I guess the European style column switch is OK when you have a manual trans mission (my '65 Lambo was the first car to have this feature for me), but with an automatic transmission the left foot operated floor button works better for dimming the high beams.

There are somethings I much prefer to have left to the discretion of the driver, the dimming and turning on of the high beams is one of them.
    Yea, it's completely different now. The reason it took so long for this to come back out as an option was that technology had to catch up with what the feature was intended to do. Somehow, when I was on the feeder road to the SIDE of the interstate tonight, it still managed to activate the highbeams even though there was oncoming traffic on the primary highway. It's not just a dumb light sensor like the auto headlamp turn on or the rearview dimmer, it's an actual camera.

Quote Originally Posted by ltdltc View Post
    When you activate it does anything come up on the DIC? I'm thinking that this would work in 2006+ DTS's as well.
    When you press the button on the mirror nothing happens except that the green LED on the mirror turns on to let you know it's active. When it turns on the high beams, the only indication you have sometimes (since bi-xenon headlights don't have a separate filament, but just a mirror that flips the light up) is the little blue highbeam indicator on the dash. I'm fairly certain the DTS had this as an option at some point and if it did, then it should also be plug and play for you.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White
    So what you gonna do with the old broken down decrepid useless plain feature lacking old mirror that you were probably gonna throw away anyway?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.