Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#7,354 ·
Got a period correct bumper sticker.

#7,360 ·
Last Friday, I went to the junkyard in search of a Stephens Buick badge. Stephens Buick was a very prominent Buick dealer in the twin cities into the mid 90's, when they were shut down due to eminent domain. It was a very flashy dealership known as BuickTown USA. I found a Stephens badge at the junkyard and installed it today.

#7,366 ·
re-did the front-gill plasti dip, also sprayed the back so I couldn't see the chrome standing in front of it. Funny thing, I failed, since I sprayed it from the wrong angle. I can still see a tiny bit of chrome from the cross hatches on the backside.

Ugh, fml.

also somehow managed to nick it.. I'll pick up some of the canned stuff to brush on instead of taking the grill back out I think... or maybe try to stuff something in front and spray it again I haven't decided .

I'm thinking about Painting the valve covers wrinkle black next weekend to match the catch cans.

Also did the CTS logo, the rear chrome strip and the V badges . I may try to do the grille vents?

#7,368 · (Edited)
Yeah I'm not sold on that yet.

The grille is black already. If I do the wreath it'll disappear into the grille. On the rear I wouldn't mind doing that, but it'll look 'wrong' on the front. If that makes sense.

it's the same reason I didn't do the chrome trim around the grille, and why I don't want to do the greenhouse chrome black. It disappears and looks so 'blah'

Plus, iirc I'd have to take the front fascia off to re-do the badge.

#7,376 ·

This is a picture of Win Stephens Buick Town USA taken in 1977.

#7,377 ·
After a trip over my favorite roller coaster road and some of the other back roads near my house, I'm happy to report that the Yokohamas are a nice improvement over the squishy Goodyears. Now I just need to upgrade the stabilizer bars; that's a project for this winter before autocross season starts again.

#7,382 ·
I have the strut brace, but not the Ranger rods. Not an installation job I want to tackle.

Man I hate you!!!! Looking at a $900 tire bill for the Lexus SC. Tires are going to cost more than the new in box, "geniune Toyota parts" wheels I bought. Lexus of North Miama I guess was really trying to clear out their warehouse, I paid about half of what these would've cost you at the parts counter.

How do you like those Yokohamas from a noise and vibration standpoint??? I know you get what you pay for in tires, so that $900 is for some Bridgestones, Michileans, Pirellis etc Not going down the route of Khumos or chinese tires, had them and they suck in terms of noise or vibrations at interstate speed.
The regular price on the Yokohamas for my size was $121, but I got a big adjustment because the Goodyears only lasted 33,000 miles and had an 80,000-mile treadwear warranty.

So far, I'm happy. No vibration at highway speeds. Noise is OK; it really depends on the road. The state highway I drive back and forth to work has not been repaved in the nine years I've been driving it, and while it's generally smooth, parts of it are noisy. If I take the county backroad instead, the portion in Polk County was repaved four years ago and is noticeably quieter than the pavement in Benton County.

I was surprised to find that the tires were made in USA. I don't know if one of the American tire brands owns Yokohama. I had Michelins as OEM on my 95 Accord and was not impressed. They were noisy. The OEM Bridgestones on my 99 Accord were OK. I had put a set of Pirellis on Cruella in 2007, and they were a significant improvement in handling over the no-name tires I had before. In fact, because I had a good experience with the Pirellis, that's what I originally bought for Sabrina shortly after I bought her, but the noise they made was horrible. When accelerating, it sounded like the engines on a Boeing 747 spooling up for takeoff. After two days, I took them back to Discount Tire because they actually mean it:

I did not, however, throw the Pirellis through the front window.

#7,383 ·
I was skeptical when I had to get Kumho WWs for one of the wagons, but they seem to be OK...

#7,384 ·
I've had '95 Michelins, '09 Michelins, and '12 Goodyears. So far, I think I may like the Goodyears the best, actually. They are quieter than the Michelins, and there hasn't been any noticeable change in handling. If anything, the Goodyears are a tad bit grippier when I corner. Something else that I've noticed: the Goodyears seem to weather better. They haven't been through winter, mind you, but still, they look darn near brand new. The Michelins weather cracked real bad.

I guess Faded Crest was right about Michelins being overrated. Speaking of which, where the heck did he go?

#7,386 ·
Took it to the Post Office with handfuls of parcels containing vintage Cadillac parts being sent throughout the world (I have a client who may be the only seventies Cadillac in Finland, for all I know, because it seems he can never find parts anywhere else. Fine by me :) )

I also mailed out a bumper magnet to Luke...

Something like this, but without random brand names. We're figuring that it will actually arrive this time. In return, he will post photos of it on his car posthaste.