What did you do to your car today? - Page 116
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 116 of 914 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 166 216 616 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 13703
Like Tree7428Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What did you do to your car today? in General Discussion; Your car doesn't have a limited slip? In my news: The wagon! SHE LIIIIIIIIIVES!...
    Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Re: What did you do to your car today?

Your car doesn't have a limited slip?

In my news: The wagon! SHE LIIIIIIIIIVES!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    Checked my tread depth all around (RR is almost bald) and washed it
    Your car doesn't have some form of limited slip differential? Curious..........if it's supposed to, then something's quite wrong with either the differential or the brake system (dragging tire).

If not, snoop around in the AirLift site. We used to use spring air bags in old GTO's and Chevelles to preload the suspension - with a bit of air pressure work you can get equal drive torque to both wheels during a straight line launch.

Air Lift bags will be installed on the wagon when I do shocks and springs in the fall.

I've heard good things about them.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Yesterday was the end of the National Corvette Homecoming in Bowling Green, KY. They weren't really ready for over 30 XLRs to descend upon them, but they did their best to accommodate us. There were only two awards given to the XLR group - longest traveled and Plant Managers Choice. The longest traveled went to a couple from Alberta Canada and as a complete surprise to me, I won the Plant Managers Choice.

What a great event! The Corvette community welcomed us with open arms. They even brought out folks from the design team and plant that worked on our cars for some detailed seminars. One of the engineers went so far as to come outside to our cars, pulled out his tools, and fixed some cars that had some irritating issues our dealerships hadn't been able to fix.

JimmyH, your nickname for my car is now permanent! Everybody loved the significance of calling it "Elwood".
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Your car doesn't have a limited slip?

In my news: The wagon! SHE LIIIIIIIIIVES!
    Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Your car doesn't have some form of limited slip differential? Curious..........if it's supposed to, then something's quite wrong with either the differential or the brake system (dragging tire).

If not, snoop around in the AirLift site. We used to use spring air bags in old GTO's and Chevelles to preload the suspension - with a bit of air pressure work you can get equal drive torque to both wheels during a straight line launch.
    Nope, it's an open diff. BMW stopped offering an LSD on non-M cars in 1993 (a practice they should reconsider today).

A little over a year ago I got a nail stuck in my left rear and had it replaced but never bothered replacing the right, so now the right is nearly at the end of its life while the left still has about 50% tread left. I'm thinking about replacing all four of my tires with something better soon so I'm just holding out for now.

That really really sucks. One wheel peel, boooo.

Why would they do that, I wonder?

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    That really really sucks. One wheel peel, boooo.

Why would they do that, I wonder?
    Because the snotty German engineers and marketing people didn't think non-"M" car drivers deserved this "high performance" option!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I don't think LSD is that critical on a car with 300hp and auto trans. My Camaro LT had a standard diff and it was never fighting for traction. A diff without clutches is lighter and cheaper. And likely more reliable.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

^^^Agreed. An open rear is good enough on a relatively low horsepower vehicle like the one mentioned here. There's more to lose through the mentioned durability and cost factors than potential gains from adding a LSD.

There's a 2001 F150 in my driveway right now with a LSD that chatters so bad around turns it shakes the entire body. Necessary for the truck, but not appealing for a passenger car that can't take advantage anyway.

Another thing; if one tire is bald, I find it unlikely it's due to an open diff. Sounds more like toe or camber being off to me. Any diff sends equal power to both wheels until a loss of traction occurs. Unless you spend A LOT of time doing burnouts, there is no way the lack of limited slip causes uneven wear.

If your LSD is chattering that means either a bad clutch in there or bad gear oil. Or the wrong kind of gear oil. Go ask the V guys about LSD problems

ProImaging is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Went to walmart. On the way home on the street to my house there's a straight away. I did a 100 mph run just messing around. Been too long since I opened her up...lol

Is that hydrodip stuff impervious to massive G forces?

Cebnasa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS V8 2009
    Attempted to put LED DRL in 2009 Cadillac STS... No luck... Pretty much suck... No switchback function

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    If your LSD is chattering that means either a bad clutch in there or bad gear oil. Or the wrong kind of gear oil. Go ask the V guys about LSD problems
    Oh yeah, the clutches are toast...that's why it's here. I'm not starting that job this insane heat, however. It's going to have to wait.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.