What did you do to your car today? - Page 107
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 107 of 925 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 157 207 607 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 13869
Like Tree7619Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What did you do to your car today? in General Discussion; I gonna on long drive!...
    jonespaker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: What did you do to your car today?

I gonna on long drive!

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Well, either the half-hour drive to work this morning wasn't enough to really charge Betty's battery or there is one hell of a drain (I think it's the former). When I went to leave this afternoon, I got the same thing I did this morning when I turned the key: buptkis. Not even a pathetic rrrr rrrr rrrr. Got the jumper cables back out, and she fired right up. I was on Empty, and the gas station was only a couple of miles away, but they let me keep the engine running while filling her up. After I got home, I put the battery on a trickle charge and will let it charge overnight, then I'll disconnect the negative cable.

On a brighter note, the A/C is working fine.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Gary, bite the bullet and rewire the whole car. The labor cost will not be very higher than locating short circuits. I bet your mechanic will be happier and more willing to rewire the car instead of chasing some hidden short circuits in a 50-year old wiring system...

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by gdwriter View Post

After two months and $600, Betty's still got an electrical drain. Decided to drive her to work today since it's going to be 88º, and I wanted to make sure the A/C is working properly before I go to Washington next weekend. Turned the key, and the battery is completely dead. Fortunately, I hooked the jumper cables up to the Seville, and she started right up.

I think the problem is a bad ignition switch that's leaving the car in the "on" position and draining the battery. Normally, with the key off, the blinkers don't blink and the radio goes off, but that's not the case right now. My mechanic wanted to replace the ignition switch, but could not get the bezel on the dash off. Since it's all scratched to hell now, I'm getting a new bezel, new dash trim (also scratched, but some of that was already there) and a new ignition switch, which I hope will finally cure the f*cking problem. In the meantime, I'm just going to disconnect the negative battery cable when she's parked in the garage.

In other news, I had to reorder the crankshaft position sensor for the Seville, this time from Rock Auto. The dealership in Texas where I've bought other OEM parts had it on backorder. Still getting an AC Delco part, so I hope it will last longer than the NAPA one installed in 2009. Also ordered front brake pads and rotors. Will have everything installed next week. Also, since my extended warranty has less than 4,000 miles before it expires, I'm going to have him to a thorough check for any problems, including a block test. There has been no indication that the headgaskets are in danger of failing, the temperature gauge goes to the midpoint and parks with no deviation — at all — ever in the 2 1/2 years I've own the car. But I still want to check it.
    I've always meant to ask you this out of curiousity since you've noted how rock solid the temp on Sabrina is... Have you ever let the car idle for 5 or 10 minutes with the A/C compressor shut completely off? I'm almost certain that every Seville I've owned will TEMPORARILY rise a tick halfway between TDC and 1 o'clock when I do this test. Within a few moments it decreases back to TDC and a few minutes later the cycle repeats. With the A/C on the silver car sits at TDC (or even *below* when cruising in cool enough temps, which leads me to believe the thermostat is stuck open), but that doesn't really matter because that car failed a block test 12000 miles ago even with that behavior.

I suppose that question could be for Ryan and Ben too.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

^
    Mine does too. The reason is when AC is off and speed is less than 30mph (35?) the cooling system fans don't spin until the temp reaches to some threshold and it trigs the fans to work and the temp returns back to 12.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Interesting. Thanks Ben.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    I've always meant to ask you this out of curiousity since you've noted how rock solid the temp on Sabrina is... Have you ever let the car idle for 5 or 10 minutes with the A/C compressor shut completely off? I'm almost certain that every Seville I've owned will TEMPORARILY rise a tick halfway between TDC and 1 o'clock when I do this test. Within a few moments it decreases back to TDC and a few minutes later the cycle repeats. With the A/C on the silver car sits at TDC (or even *below* when cruising in cool enough temps, which leads me to believe the thermostat is stuck open), but that doesn't really matter because that car failed a block test 12000 miles ago even with that behavior.
    I'll probably have to wait for a cooler day, but I may try that. I'm certain my thermostat works fine, because the temperature gauge goes straight to TDC and stays there, regardless of the ambient temperature, whether it's in the 20s or I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day. It simply doesn't budge.

I had forgotten, there was one time the gauge did move. I was following a friend's Audi A4 up a 6º grade north of Lewiston, ID in August with temperatures approaching 100º. You climb 2,000 feet in six miles, so this is one long, steep grade. We were pushing the cars hard, doing 65-70 MPH the whole way, flying past the crawling trucks and most cars. The gauge moved one tick up from TDC. One. As soon as we reached the top, the gauge went right back to TDC.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Mine has always does that Ian.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

What did I do to my car today? Nothing. Again. BECAUSE IT WON'T STOP F*CKING RAINING.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Bought a new one.

Rodya234 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala

^ Ballin.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

In the body shop for repainting the bumper and engine covers. Damn Hot Rod Power Tour pitted the bumper so bad it looks like metal flake.

Got my replacement headlight housing in the mail today - old one had grazing on the DRL lens. Will install this weekend.

Finalizing the TabletPC install (hopefully finish this next week).

New Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 285/40/Z18 sitting in the basement will be installed Monday in prep for my trip to the Corvette Homecoming in Bowling Green, KY.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

tablet for the V or the ETC?

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO View Post
    tablet for the V or the ETC?
    All the above for the V.

The ESC is awaiting new rear shocks (due in Tuesday). Till I find someone to mount the blower not much being done to the ESC .
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

sorry, i meant ESC.

PLEASE post pics of the pc in the v when its done

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.