Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#3,517 · (Edited)
Considering it.... :D

Joking aside, online stores (especially Amazon) and Walmart/Sams club have been a great help for me! I buy everything that I can from Amazon, with special thanks to Amazon's free super saver shipping. Last night I tried to buy a Sofa from Amazon :D But during check out Amazon said it's too heavy for free shipping... :( For grocery shopping I go to Walmart and Sams Club. Some thing interesting: in sharp contrast to mainland, in Hawaii upper middle class shops from Walmart too. You will be surprised by the number of brand new E class MBs parked on Walmart's lot!

#3,518 ·
Considering it.... :D

Joking aside, online stores (especially Amazon) and Walmart/Sams club have been a great help for me! I buy everything that I can from Amazon, with special thanks to Amazon's free super saver shipping. Last night I tried to buy a Sofa from Amazon :D But during check out Amazon said it's too heavy for free shipping... :( For grocery shopping I go to Walmart and Sams Club. Some thing interesting: in sharp contrast to mainland, in Hawaii upper middle class shop from Walmart too. You will be surprised by the number of brand new E class MBs parked on Walmart's lot!
Sign up for Amazon Prime. It's $79 a year and worth every cent. Free two-day shipping on Prime-elligible items, and $3.99 per item Overnight. I've used mine so much this year I KNOW Amazon lost money on me. :lol:

#3,523 · (Edited)
Back to the subject of thread: Today I did a foolish thing!

I have a very slow cooling leak somewhere in my cooling system! No, it's not HG! Anyway, I ordered a pack of Bar's gold powder, it's the same tablet that GM suggests to drop in the cooling system when you change the coolant.

I removed upper radiator hose, poured the powder inside, but I couldn't put the rotor clamp back on the hose... My pliers was too small! This was my first foolish thing that I did; I started a job without having the appropriate tool. But wait, the second is coming! I put the hose back on its place without the clamp. I said: hum, it stays, probably I can drive to a nearby part store to pick up a nice groove joint pliers!

I made it to the part store and purchased a groove joint pliers. Here is my third foolish decision: The coolant is hot now, lets not touch the system and drive back home. But I forgot that the temperature can/will soften the hose and it may come off! On my way back home the first bump and pooooooooffff.... it was steam coming out of my hood! I pulled over and yes, the hose had came off and coolant was pouring out... I guess no coolant was left! I walked back to the part store, purchased a gallon of Dex-cool, a gallon of distilled water, and another pack of bar's stop leak powder!

How was your day?

#3,525 ·
Once upon a time I had an upper Radiator hose slip off and had to fully refill the cooling system. It was one of those flexible steel ones that I only threw on as an emergency replacement for a rubber one and was only kept on the car for around two weeks. I switched back to the rubber one in the end anyhow, as the steel one developed a leak shortly after, because clearly, rubber is stronger than stainless steel, somehow. It didn't pop off from the clamp not being on, it just had inner adapters to make it ""universal" for many applications and the adapter and the outermost edge of the rubber on one end, decided to slide apart under pressure. That was a mess.

#3,527 ·
Went to the junkyard again. Pulled some gas tank heat shields for Mike, and tried to get the control arms off of the same wagon. No good, turns out the one that's broken on my car is about to go on that car as well.

Looks like I'm buying new ones. Fortunately, they're not that expensive, only about $85/pr.

#3,532 ·
How much did the junkyard guy charge you? Hopefully you're a chunk (or most) of the way there...

#3,539 ·
Went to junk yard, snapped some emblems and the intake cam bearing cap. It's fun to turn the wrench on an already-broken-and-stripped Northstar in the junkyard. Total cost of $1(entrance fee) with a scar on my hand.

I have a ultimate plan with those unusable Northstars in the junkyard. I would need to snap one without heads, clean it, and make a Northstar version of...

#3,548 ·
Yesterday i Dropped the Seville of at the Caddy Dealership up the road
They finaly got the New realeas update downloaded from GM into there system for the M-Minor they where and the insurance company was hoping that would do the fix
called me thismorning said no go still not fixed
the Electrical tech thinks its a Short in the wire somewhere and i picked the car up today cause i don't want to be in some rental over the holiday weekend when i might go to Mi for the weekend i like my ride not some cheap rental have not been happy with any rentals i have had this past few months for some reason

So they are now asking the Insurance to Allow them around 3 hours or so of labor to Trace down the Problem if it is a wireing issue
at there labor rate of 129 and hour

could take 20 minutes could take 4 hours to find it they have no idea but they want to start at the BCM i guess and then fallow it all the way to the Mirror every spilt splice crack every wire for the Mirror option untill they find whats going on
so far this has to be a record i think the Insurnace is at 1025 for the Mirror so far that they have spend and it can go as high as 1000 more i bet lol OMG
this is just ridiculous all because some punk thought it be cool to rip a mirror of a car at night time

----------

I think MC was planing on doing this very same thing with his Block

#3,542 ·
Had to run to the bank and the post office after I got home, so I took Hoover for a ride in Betty. After sitting for nearly a week and with the temperature in the mid 30s, she started right up on the second try, and the automatic choke and fast idle are working correctly. After all the money I poured into the rewiring job, it's nice to have the car back and running well. I think the dash lights are a little brighter now, too.

#3,551 ·
I take it this is front bumper since the strach was probably from the Rad Job going badly or something like that

about 2 years ago i had to have the Front Bumper repainted Insruance paid for that and one little nick to be taken care of on it at the time
dealership charged around 425 i think for the job the place that had the nick still looks great and the bumper looks awesome paint job awesome all aside form the new damage with the hole int he bumper cause is till haven't got i fixed lol

#3,554 ·
Yes, mine is shale metallic and has just base and clear coats. I am looking for one of those privately owned body shops that does quality work at reasonable price. I even don't think of Cadillac dealership. The only Cadillac dealership on the island was asking $172 for a part that is listed for $122 and many dealerships back in mainland ask less than $100 for that part!
I have allocated a $1000 budget and I will not exceed that amount. So private shops are my best bet to have job done within this budget.

#3,558 ·
141k on the clock. No serious problem so far! The damn powertrain has been really reliable and have given me no trouble so far. I have used this Cadillac as my DD and it never has disappointed me. But like many other Sevilles, there has been always some small thing wrong with the car. Right now it has a water leak in trunk. I think it should be because of a bad weatherstrip.

When I moved to Hawaii, I evaluated different options, including financing a STS-V/Sec gen CTS/ First gen CTS-V, or buying a low mileage 2003 STS. But at the end I got to this conclusion that it's better to keep my own STS and spend some money for conditioning it, so I shipped it to the Hawaii, and I think I will not regret my decision.

My big projects are:
1- Replacing all struts/shocks
2- Some body and paint job.

Even after 141k miles, the struts and shocks are not completely worn out, they don't leak, and there is no trouble code for suspension system. But I think they are not in their best shape either.....

#3,556 ·
I know i am going low to mid class job route when it come to fixing the front bumper this time 350 is what they are going to charge me to fix the hole in the bumper repaint it and they said 25 more to blend the Fenders with it
i know for that price its on the low side so i am not expecting them to pull the entire bumper off and do the best job but all i really want is for it to look nice and not have a hole in it
car will be repainte din the next year or 2 another color anyways so doesn't matter as long as it looks decent for now