What did you do to your car today? - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 881 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 110 510 ... LastLast
Like Tree7105Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What did you do to your car today? in General Discussion; Nice! A $1 repair is always good....
    Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

Re: What did you do to your car today?

Nice! A $1 repair is always good.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Today's entry:

Painted my steel wheels red. Looks much nicer than the silver did. Yes, I know I need to turn my whitewalls out. I will after Spring Break if funds allow (necessary fixes are coming first).

If funds allow? You already HAVE whitewalls on, but they CHARGE you to change them? Wow, that's all Pepboys is good for, they switch my tyres around for free (But I always tip them anyhow)

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

Pepboys was where I got the tires, and they still wanted like $30 to switch them. It's BS. Dad has connections with Tire Kingdom down by the house (his friend is the new manager) so they'll probably swap them around for free.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Picked her up from the Shop started her up was so happy to finally see a working gas needle and the fuel range working for the first time in 22 months that i have owned it
    drove home to only remember i forgot the att guy was coming to set up u-verse today
    so he was waitng about only 5 minutes he said when i got home

then went back out around 2 dropped her off at the body shop signed the papers saying they can work on her
    asked them to sandblast the hood also and repaint it they said no sand blasting and they wouldn't refinish it because they wont do work that they cant gurantee so thats a no go but 2 passenger side doors will be repairs from the dent of the hit and run and then repainted moldings repaired or replaced also
    said she will be ready Monday or Tuesday

Then Enterprise came and picked me up
    was expecting a 300 or a Lucerne but they did not have it so they brought a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3k on it
    said it was just purchased for there fleet 5 days erlier and drove from the west coast to ohio on a one way trip so now i have a car that is brand new for a week atleast
    but not happy so going to see if i can get a 300 or lucerne tomorrow perhaps

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

Really not very much.

I set up the Bricklin pneumatics with the new compressor but didn't fire it up to test everything.
    Bought some new stainless bolts and lock washers for the radiator.
    Took out the battery and battery box on the Mazda praying that the sensor I got will fix the transmission issue.
    Looked at my e-mail you find my Corbreau seats finally shipped!

Tomorrow is the big work day...

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Took FireFox in for an oil change. My tech in the service department started a commotion about 10 minutes after I sat down in the waiting room. I wondered how long it would take. By the time I rounded the corner there were 5 or 6 techs/advisors taking pictures under my hood. Got her home and programmed my tablet for the OBDII interface and checked codes - supercharger over boost warning in history. Guess I'm going to get that a lot till the retune. Washed, polished, and covered till its time to go back to Warsaw. Front tires, 245/45ZR18, are in and will be mounted this weekend on my Z06 (summer) wheels. Back tires, 275/35ZR18, are on back order. Don't need the set till April, anyway.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

I started working on the caddies body. removed most of the rocker trim (theres quite a bit of it). found a few spots of rust that I need to treat, and some rust in the bottom panel seam on the backside of the doors and trunk hidden under the chrome trim. looks like I'm gonna have a fund spring and end up with a half primer, half cream caddy.
    I also checked the fluids (dont run the car anymore since the accident.) I found out why it smelled bad whenever I fired it up when I worked on it (like having power accessories when working one it- and it makes it easier to move around the yard when it runs)
    anyways- the oil is charred on the top and bottom of the measurable area of the dipstick, and a light carmel color in the middle. I've never seen oil like that (its new oil too- under 1500 miles on it) I also checked the coolant to find alot of it is gone, and theres oil in the bottom of the resevoir with a thin layer of coolant on top of it. I already knew the trans dripped when I ran it, but I think its leaking now even when the car sits. its amazing how being cut off can screw up your car. I guess I wont be keeping the engine block as a spare for my lesabre anymore. anyone need a 400 lbs olds doorstop with 67k miles.?

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

^Sorry to hear that shit man.

Lets see, on the 91 Brougham:

Yesterday I had a looksee at the brakes. The left front caliper was sticking, I couldn't even get the bolts loose to remove the damn caliper. I knew that caliper was bad, and I've done a standard pads/rotors change out on my old Camaro. I really didn't feel confident in doing brake work that would require bleeding the brakes.

Put the front wheels back on, did an oil change, also changed the air filter.

Today I took it to my guy David at C&F Tire in Franklin(great guys, always done right by our family for over 15 years). $421 later I have two new front rotors, a new left front caliper, new pads, a new left front brake line, and a new rear seal on the axle where it was leaking diff fluid from the right rear brake drum. Also repacked the front wheel bearings, and rotated the tires, both free of charge.

Overall I'm doing pretty damn good with the Brougham. The last big outlay of $$$ I had with her was in August 2009 when I had to put a new headliner in her. She's due for a coolant change, fuel filter, and spark plugs pretty soon, but those are pretty easy jobs I can do myself.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    ^Sorry to hear that shit man.

Lets see, on the 91 Brougham:

Yesterday I had a looksee at the brakes. The left front caliper was sticking, I couldn't even get the bolts loose to remove the damn caliper. I knew that caliper was bad, and I've done a standard pads/rotors change out on my old Camaro. I really didn't feel confident in doing brake work that would require bleeding the brakes.

Put the front wheels back on, did an oil change, also changed the air filter.

Today I took it to my guy David at C&F Tire in Franklin(great guys, always done right by our family for over 15 years). $421 later I have two new front rotors, a new left front caliper, new pads, a new left front brake line, and a new rear seal on the axle where it was leaking diff fluid from the right rear brake drum. Also repacked the front wheel bearings, and rotated the tires, both free of charge.

Overall I'm doing pretty damn good with the Brougham. The last big outlay of $$$ I had with her was in August 2009 when I had to put a new headliner in her. She's due for a coolant change, fuel filter, and spark plugs pretty soon, but those are pretty easy jobs I can do myself.
    Sounds like a trooper, how many miles on her now?

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Get a 'Mighty Vac' from harbor freight. It comes with a one-man vacuum bleeder kit. It's really a piece of cake.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S
    Tore apart the dash and installed the VCIM factory bluetooth module in the 'Lade. Unfortunately, looks like ill be putting in the factory Nav to utilize it to its fullest. Ashame because as much as i like the factory Nav unit, i really like all the direct access buttons and simplicity of the non nav radio.

EDIT: Scratch that, I can use the dial pad on my phone so I don't need the Nav screen after all!

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

Installed new pulse generator sensor on the Mazda. Hasn't fixed the transmission issue, but it seems to be doing it less and I can predict it.

On the Bricklin: Reinstalled radiator. Tightened up belts. Found that the power steering pump is leaking so I'll need to do something else (dammit, and the PS pump is a b**** to get to). The new compressor is more than enough to power the components. There's a tiny air leak but it hasn't affected testing.

Now, the big news. THE DOORS ARE BACK ON THE CAR! The doors and hatch go up and down with the touch of a single button. Fully operational except for the latches (also powered by pneumatics) which only need to be plugged in. Probably the most excited I've been - the project's really been a hastle for me and finally I'm making some real progress, it seems. Air consumption has been dropped to ~5 psi per use which is much better than it was beforehand.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    Sounds like a trooper, how many miles on her now?
    130k, not even broken in real good yet.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

not today but last night.

again not really to the car, but i made final measurements multiple times and finally started putting together the subwoofer box using 3/4" MDF. Basic layout is done and being held together with wood glue. Picking up silicone sealant today to seal all the edges and will also be tightening it all up with some wood screws.

Allante is up on jackstands right now awaiting an oil change and spark plug/plug wire change as well as a heater core flush

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Exchanged 3 quarts of coolant, set tires at 32 psi, checked wheel nut torque, stared at the boxes of EBC slotted rotors and Redstuff pads sitting on a shelf and thought "You need to get motivated". Spring is coming........

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.