Cars you'd love to own, but are afraid to buy. (lets be realistic) - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Cars you'd love to own, but are afraid to buy. (lets be realistic) in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Aron9000 Bro-ham, why are you obsessed with these junky ass old diesels? I can't think of a ...
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Re: Cars you'd love to own, but are afraid to buy. (lets be realistic)

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Bro-ham, why are you obsessed with these junky ass old diesels? I can't think of a single redeeming quality of the 70's/80's diesels put into passenger cars, other than that the Benz diesels would run FOREVER. The point of a Cadillac is to be smooth and quiet, something that 5.7 Olds diesel was not.

And as far as diesels go, I'd really like to own a 90's Dodge Cummins diesel truck. It would have to be a manual though, since Chrysler automatics are complete garbage. Those damn Cummins diesel trucks have really held their value though, anything decent with less than 200k miles on it is in the 7-12k range, anything under that price tends to be pretty junky or have a billion miles on it.
    Aron,

Junk to one man is a treasure to another.

I've never driven the GM 5.7 diesel, but I rode in my uncle's brand new 81 Olds 98 Regency diesel plenty of times during the year he owned it back in my early teens. That car had a smooth and quiet engine sound both on the outside and, especially, on the inside. I recall all the other 5.7 diesels from that era as being quite sophistocated sounding for diesels, especially compared to the European diesels of the same vintage.

I've owned about 10 or 12 Benz diesels and they ranged from clacky to quiet - none impressed me enough to stick with owning one for a long time or even acquiring another one. I think a 79 Fleetwood Brougham diesel that has been thoroughly sorted and well cared for would be quite an automotive adventure that I'm curious to try.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Still don't get your obsession, especially since the 425 Caddy V8 in those is superior in every way. Well except gas mileage

I saw a really clean w123 300D at the auto parts store today, btw. Navy blue on blue vinyl, probably early 80's vintage. Even had color matching blue hubcaps that were really cool IMO. Talked to the owner, he was some German guy, it was obvious this car was his baby. He fired it up and it was suprisngly very quiet for a diesel, probably about as loud as a newer Chevy Duramax. Really took me back how quiet it was.

Anyways, to each their own on the 5.7 olds diesel.

Still don't get your obsession, especially since the 425 Caddy V8 in those is superior in every way. Well except gas mileage

I saw a really clean w123 300D at the auto parts store today, btw. Navy blue on blue vinyl, probably early 80's vintage. Even had color matching blue hubcaps that were really cool IMO. Talked to the owner, he was some German guy, it was obvious this car was his baby. He fired it up and it was suprisngly very quiet for a diesel, probably about as loud as a newer Chevy Duramax. Really took me back how quiet it was.

Anyways, to each their own on the 5.7 olds diesel.
    I already have a 425 which always starts and stops, a diesel would be for fun, plus it's soooo novel. Everyone has a gas Cad - how many people do you know who have diesel Cadillac? I think it would be beyond entertaining.

I had a whole ton of diesel 5 cylinder 80's MB's, great cars in their own way, a bit germanic and boring. I had some newer Benz diesels too, including a 97 E300 I bought brand new, and also a 91 350SDL which was quite nice, but they never lit my heart on fire. Old Cadillacs are over the top and classic all-American with their high style interior designer designed interiors and powerful modern low/long styling. I'd drive a super nice old Cad any day - they really make a statement.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ Glad to hear someone else voice the opinion that Mercedes cars of the '70s and '80s were boring! This was the consensus of many of my friends who, while they wouldn't have minded having a Mercedes, just couldn't get over their slowness (unless you sprung for the over $100,000 super cars) and downright boring handling. The mechanical clatter they made (gas cars included) did nothing to add to their charm. It was for these reasons that many of us chose the far more satisfying Jaguars of the day (despite their reliability problems). BMW during this period had some cars that handled well and were fun to drive, although they could by no stretch of the imagination be considered "luxury" cars.

If one looked at who was driving a Mercedes along Wilshire Blvd. in the seventies and eighties, the S Class cars were driven by men and the equivalent of the E Class cars were driven by women. The overall performance improved in the nineties with the addition of V-* engines, but you still had shell the "big bucks" to get a Mercedes that would get out of its' own way. And the diesels were downright pitiful when it came to acceleration and coping with the on and off ramps of the L.A. Freeway system.

I don't care if cars are a little slow, as long as I can get to cocktail hour on time.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

^^^Good bumper sticker for some of those old slow luxo-boats.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    ^^^ Glad to hear someone else voice the opinion that Mercedes cars of the '70s and '80s were boring! This was the consensus of many of my friends who, while they wouldn't have minded having a Mercedes, just couldn't get over their slowness (unless you sprung for the over $100,000 super cars) and downright boring handling. The mechanical clatter they made (gas cars included) did nothing to add to their charm. It was for these reasons that many of us chose the far more satisfying Jaguars of the day (despite their reliability problems). BMW during this period had some cars that handled well and were fun to drive, although they could by no stretch of the imagination be considered "luxury" cars.

If one looked at who was driving a Mercedes along Wilshire Blvd. in the seventies and eighties, the S Class cars were driven by men and the equivalent of the E Class cars were driven by women. The overall performance improved in the nineties with the addition of V-* engines, but you still had shell the "big bucks" to get a Mercedes that would get out of its' own way. And the diesels were downright pitiful when it came to acceleration and coping with the on and off ramps of the L.A. Freeway system.
    Mercs of that era were cars to be seen in above all else. To this extent, I'd say they achieved their goal.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

I don't find them attractive at all. My dad's cousin owns two different ones, they do nothing for me. I don't even know what they are. I know one is an SL of some sort (SEL? I don't know) but they look like turds to me. :flamesuiton:

Nothing wrong with that, I can hardly imagine there's many Merc enthusiasts (except for Mike, but he has a whole army of cool cars) that would be into wagons either. For most however, those old Mercs represent a classic period for modern luxury motoring. They're just well... dog ass slow. No getting around it.

My 1987 560SEC took about a day to get to 60 but it got looks the whole way there.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

^ Even a 560 SEC was slow??? Really? I thought the 80's cars with the V8's would've been pretty quick, especially something with an elephantine 5.6 liters of displacement.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

a car I would love to own is a cosworth vega. I dont care if the motor is the largest 4 cyl turd GM ever made, the rest of the car is cool. originally it was supposed to have a full built racing motor that put out close to 200hp with a turbocharger. replace that with a 100hp (on a good day) chevy 4 banger, and you get a noisy go kart with a cool body kit. too bad too, the cosworth vega was a cool car when cal wade created it, but after cost cutting by GM , it became a turd on wheels and still cost as much as a vette.

^ Even a 560 SEC was slow??? Really? I thought the 80's cars with the V8's would've been pretty quick, especially something with an elephantine 5.6 liters of displacement.
    It wasn't slow for its time, I guess? But with the cars I had already owned up to that point it just felt like a good old powerful car, but not really "quick". It has roughly equal hp to the Expedition and supposedly hit 60 in about 7 seconds, but it sure didn't feel that quick.

Remember the first series Sevilles had 5.7 litre V-8s and it was slow, put a "built like a bank vault" heavy Mercedes body over a small V-8 and you are dreaming if you think it will get to 60 mph in 7 seconds! But as Playdrive pointed out you sure will look "rich" getting (and the folks looking on will have a long time to admire you!) there. Lesser Mercedes that the 560S variations took even longer to get to speed!

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Those sedans had 2nd gear start (I thought the SEC were 1st gear start, maybe only the later years), you would have to put your foot to the floor to get 1st gear. That can be bypassed, though.

The 420 was not slow, I can't imagine the 560 being slow. They weren't race cars, but much faster than the Cadillacs of the era. SOHC all-aluminum engines, relatively high compression, in the neighborhood of 200-250 hp. That changed completely if you got an AMG tuned engine with headers and true dual exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by mhamilton View Post
    Those sedans had 2nd gear start (I thought the SEC were 1st gear start, maybe only the later years), you would have to put your foot to the floor to get 1st gear. That can be bypassed, though.

The 420 was not slow, I can't imagine the 560 being slow. They weren't race cars, but much faster than the Cadillacs of the era. SOHC all-aluminum engines, relatively high compression, in the neighborhood of 200-250 hp. That changed completely if you got an AMG tuned engine with headers and true dual exhaust.
    Yes the "big" engined V-8s were faster than Cadillacs of the the 80's, but they also cost in the neighborhood of $50,000, which would put them over $100,000. today. by the way those "high performance" aluminum OHC v-8s were also prone to head gasket problems, sound familiar? Having cut my driving teeth on expensive Mercedes (1956 300D "Adenauer" Mercedes) and having been task with driving relatives and associates 70's, 80's and 90's Mercedes while at the same time owning and regularly driving cars from other makers I've come to feel Mercedes are highly overrated for performance and overall driving experience. But I have to agree that a Mercedes automobile is still tops when it comes to ownership prestige! What the hell, many hundreds of dictators around the world can't be wrong!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.