Cars you'd love to own, but are afraid to buy. (lets be realistic) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Cars you'd love to own, but are afraid to buy. (lets be realistic) in General Discussion; Also, 300ZX Twin Turbo I've heard that the non-turbo model 300zx is actually a lot easier on your wallet and ...
    Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Re: Cars you'd love to own, but are afraid to buy. (lets be realistic)

Also, 300ZX Twin Turbo

I've heard that the non-turbo model 300zx is actually a lot easier on your wallet and pretty reliable. I'm still skeptical about that, because there is about two competent mechanics in Nashville that know how to work on these things, so you know its $$$ to keep one on the road in tip-top shape. Which is why you see so many of these poor things ragged out by some 20 year old punk who can't afford to keep it running right.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Its just VG30. Doesnt seem complicated, but the fit is pretty tight, especially TT

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan

Yeah, they really have that 3.0 V6 shoe horned in there. Not something I would want to have to deal with. I've always like the 300ZX with the pop up lights, especially the last few years of them when they cleaned them up and made them sleeker looking. There's more room in the previous body style too.

Quote Originally Posted by mhamilton View Post
    ga_etc, I don't think you'd have a bad time with the w126 series cars. They were the last of the 'real' Mercedes, very tank-like in construction and fairly easy to service. There actually wasn't all that much complexity to them, at least by comparison to the next series.
    It's not the fear of it constantly breaking, it's the fear of what it would cost to fix it when it does. I'm not at the point in my life right now where I can own one of these machines, but I will have one eventually.

This one on the local CL has been tempting me for a while. Good thing I don't have the money.
    http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/2171525132.html

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Boy, that Mercedes looks like a money pit! Who cares if it's built like a vault, and that weighs about the same, if getting a heater blower fixed costs $1500. and the rest of repairs go up from there. The only way to own a Mercedes is buy one new and get an extended "bumper to bumper" warranty. Then enjoy the prestige and exclusivity you think it brings you ....... and sell it as soon as the warranty runs out!

Mercedes-Benz should have as their slogan "Luxury it's all in your head!"

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

My response to this is similar to Roo's.

Being an avid DIY'er, I honestly can't think of anything I'm actually AFRAID to own. The vehicles I hate working on most (so far) I wouldn't want to own anyway...I really don't know.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

My biggest one would be an F-body. I'd love to own one, but I'd be afraid to buy it not for the maintenance costs, but because I know I'd be inclined to beat the piss out of it and it would likely get me in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Boy, that Mercedes looks like a money pit! Who cares if it's built like a vault, and that weighs about the same, if getting a heater blower fixed costs $1500. and the rest of repairs go up from there. The only way to own a Mercedes is buy one new and get an extended "bumper to bumper" warranty. Then enjoy the prestige and exclusivity you think it brings you ....... and sell it as soon as the warranty runs out!

Mercedes-Benz should have as their slogan "Luxury it's all in your head!"
    For me, it's really not the Mercedes "prestige". I just like them. I think it's a timeless design and like you said, they're built like a vault.

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Quote Originally Posted by ga_etc View Post
    For me, it's really not the Mercedes "prestige". I just like them. I think it's a timeless design and like you said, they're built like a vault.
    And added to that, there is nothing else like sitting behind the wheel of that car, with a half-mile of gleaming hood topped by the 3-pointed star (somewhere out on the horizon lol). Much like driving an old Lincoln or Cadillac. The newer Mercs don't have that kind of feeling, unfortunately.

I'm actually starting to think I might like to have a late '80s w126. Loved the '89 black 420SEL my aunt had, would have bought that car from her if I had the money when she sold it. They sure stand out in a way the new cars never will.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by ga_etc View Post
    This one on the local CL has been tempting me for a while. Good thing I don't have the money.
    http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/2171525132.html
    The last sentence says a lot about the car! "or may trade for a toyota camry"
    False or true, Toyota is famous to be reliable and cheap to maintain. When someone wants to trade a MB SEL for a Toyota, you can imagine what kind of money pit the car has been and how much the owner has been pissed off by the costs that now he is trying to buy an stupid, but cheap and reliable car....

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

10-11mpg, 160-170 miles to a tank, problematic SMG transmission... but damn the S85 sounds heavenly.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post

10-11mpg, 160-170 miles to a tank, problematic SMG transmission... but damn the S85 sounds heavenly.
    There were 6000 imported with manual transmissions. Start saving.

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    The last sentence says a lot about the car! "or may trade for a toyota camry"
    False or true, Toyota is famous to be reliable and cheap to maintain. When someone wants to trade a MB SEL for a Toyota, you can imagine what kind of money pit the car has been and how much the owner has been pissed off by the costs that now he is trying to buy an stupid, but cheap and reliable car....
    You're absolutely right, unfortunately. I like to try to be optimistic and think that they just have had it for a long time and want something cheaper on gas, but I'm sure it has cost them a small fortune and are just wanting to cut their loses and get rid of it, quickly. It's not working though. It's been on there for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mhamilton View Post
    And added to that, there is nothing else like sitting behind the wheel of that car, with a half-mile of gleaming hood topped by the 3-pointed star (somewhere out on the horizon lol). Much like driving an old Lincoln or Cadillac. The newer Mercs don't have that kind of feeling, unfortunately.

I'm actually starting to think I might like to have a late '80s w126. Loved the '89 black 420SEL my aunt had, would have bought that car from her if I had the money when she sold it. They sure stand out in a way the new cars never will.
    I'm sure you're right. I've deliberately never test driven one of these cars for fear I would fall in love and have to buy one. If I had one though, I would have to go all out and get the 560 SEL. It's just one of those cars, where if you're going to step up to one, you might as well go ahead and get the biggest and the baddest. Buy the right one the first time.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

The W126 would be only "slightly" less expensive to fix than a W140...

However, that isn't dissuading me from a 560SEC one of these days....

The E38 7 is one of the too afraid to buy, as is the E39 5 -- since those would be drivers. (The SEC above would be a toy...)
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

The E38 7 isn't really that bad. I've owned a few, plus my 2003 Range Rover which uses mostly similar running gear and the problems on all of them are about the same. My first 2000 740iL was not properly maintained so it needed valve guide seals due to a puff of white smoke when it was started cold. That was entirely due to poor maintenance rather than any fault of the car itself. Otherwise, they are known to develop a coolant leak in the valley of the engine, they like to go through valve cover gaskets, and that's really about all I remember being wrong with them. This applies specifically to the 4.4L from 1996 to 2001 (2005 in the RR). The replacement in the E6x 7 Series is no where near as bulletproof.

However, BMW's strongsuit is actually their inline sixes. So while fixing things on the 750iL V12 generally can cost twice as much, the engine is even more stout than the V8 because it's essentially just two straight sixes mated together.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.