single most expensive repair you have ever done
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, single most expensive repair you have ever done in General Discussion; ok so just like it sounds what is the single most expensive item on your car that you have ever ...
    ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

single most expensive repair you have ever done

ok so just like it sounds
    what is the single most expensive item on your car that you have ever repaired
    just one thing
    if you did the work yourself
    how much would it have cost you to pay a shop to do it
    if you paid a shop what was the total cost
    do you think it was a fair price for the amount of work done ?

For me i have had lots of exspensive vehicles lots of exsesively expensive repairs but the one that tops it all was the engine rebuild int his Seville
    4035 dollars after taxes

i think it was fair for the work done
    however because there was alot to it and it
    parts where about 1400 the rest would be fluids and labor
    so i think it was a reasonable price

how about your guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Re: single most expensive repair you have ever done

Probably replacing my intake gaskets. I would guess close to $1000 if I took it to a shop. I also painted the manifold and refinished the valve covers. I spent about $100 in materials including the paint.

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

As of right now, ~$410 for a new battery from the dealer. They had to reprogram the car to recognize the new battery so it charges accordingly.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    They had to reprogram the car to recognize the new battery so it charges accordingly.
    Wow I've never heard of that before. If a mechanic ever tried to charge me for that, I'd tell him to shove it!

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

$1165 for a blower motor/resistor in my 1999 Mercedes-Benz S320. The blower motor would intermittently not work, so I had it diagnosed at the M-B dealer I had all my work done at, and they found that the resistor was failing, but it was built into the blower motor as one piece. It was about an $800 part, and about 3.5 hours of labor to access, remove and install the new one. It was gonna be around $1300 total, but I got them to give me some discounts because I was such a frequent and happy customer.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

3200, new transmission for an 2004 SRX AWD

MauiV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tis Gone :(

About $1500 for Maggie rebulid with shipping, gaskets, blah blah blah.

I have traded in cars that needed shocks before so I normally dont fix them, I get rid of them when they start needing stuff and are out of warrenty.

The V may be hitting the bricks soon too if my current trouble is much more than a clogged fuel filter.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    As of right now, ~$410 for a new battery from the dealer. They had to reprogram the car to recognize the new battery so it charges accordingly.
    Gary88, I think you have all the makings of a satisfied Porsche owner! Back in the day, when ownership of high performance sports cars was relatively affordable we used to laugh at the apparent need that Porsche owners had to spend outrageous amounts of money on the maintenance of their beloved, but overpriced, "wunder" cars. The story went that a Porsche owner when presented with a bill for $65.00 (7 quart oil change on a Jaguar XK ran about $18.00 at the time) for an oil change on his 911, was heard to say "Are you sure that's enough!"

It seems that your BMW dealer is really "guilding his lily" by charging for reprogramming the car to use a factory authorized replacement part that he has already made a substantial profit margin on, not to mention his portion of the highly inflated "book" charge for the installation of the battery! I have long thought they the publics willingness to accept "superior German engineering" had more to do with the fact that they are charged outrageous prices by practitioners of that "black art!"

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Gary88, I think you have all the makings of a satisfied Porsche owner! Back in the day, when ownership of high performance sports cars was relatively affordable we used to laugh at the apparent need that Porsche owners had to spend outrageous amounts of money on the maintenance of their beloved, but overpriced, "wunder" cars. The story went that a Porsche owner when presented with a bill for $65.00 (7 quart oil change on a Jaguar XK ran about $18.00 at the time) for an oil change on his 911, was heard to say "Are you sure that's enough!"

It seems that your BMW dealer is really "guilding his lily" by charging for reprogramming the car to use a factory authorized replacement part that he has already made a substantial profit margin on, not to mention his portion of the highly inflated "book" charge for the installation of the battery! I have long thought they the publics willingness to accept "superior German engineering" had more to do with the fact that they are charged outrageous prices by practitioners of that "black art!"
    Many moons ago friend of mine had a Porsche 1600 Normal. One day it quit running and stranded him in the middle of nowhere. He called me for help and it quickly became evident that the cam had quit turning because the teeth were stripped off the drive gear. A trip to the Porsche/VW dealer produced a quote of around $1000 for a new gear because you had to buy the cam to get it. I told the parts guy that I wasn't born yesterday so sell me a cam drive gear for a VW. The gear was less than $10, fit perfectly, and was made of aluminum instead of Micarta plastic like the original. Porsche owners will buy anything as long as you charge them enough for it.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Not the most I have ever spent on a repair, but certainly the most outrageous amount considering the repair, was the $700.00 (in 1989 dollars) I had to spend to replace the radio antenna ($500.00 was for the part alone) on my Audi 5000S Avant! This car had other repairs for which I was charged truly outrageous prices, but I think the antenna took the cake for the repair that reached most highly into "highway robbery" territory. In those days Porsche?Audi agencies were where one bought and serviced Audi's. So they felt it entirely reasonable to charge (Porsche's outrageous prices parts/labor) for what was actually a glorified VW Passat (VW dealers would not service Audi's at that time, despite the cars being essentially identical (Audi 5000/VW Passat) under the hood. Those Germans really know how to make a buck!

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    $1165 for a blower motor/resistor in my 1999 Mercedes-Benz S320. The blower motor would intermittently not work, so I had it diagnosed at the M-B dealer I had all my work done at, and they found that the resistor was failing, but it was built into the blower motor as one piece. It was about an $800 part, and about 3.5 hours of labor to access, remove and install the new one. It was gonna be around $1300 total, but I got them to give me some discounts because I was such a frequent and happy customer.
    Chad, I consider you a bright young man, but after that, and several other experiences, with the likes of the Mercedes repairs I am truly amazed that you are still a believer in "superior German engineering." To me quality engineering includes the design of a component to be as accessible as possible to be easily maintained and inexpensively repaired as possible. German engineering has never been high on the list of those who have attained those goals. Both the Japanese and Americans engineer products that succeed far better in these important area of car design.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Yes, in that area of engineering excellence, the Germans usually fail. But nothing else drives like a German car in good working order. There's a reason they've been the benchmark of engineering for other luxury brands for the last 30 years or so.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Most expensive for me? The powertrain refresh on my 2000 STS: headgasket repair with stud kit, replaced the transmission (got one with 70K fewer miles for $350), and for good measure installed a Yank Converters 3000 RPM stall torque converter)

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post

I have a friend who purchased a Porsche Boxster as his after retirement car. One day he came late to a meeting and said his car's battery was dead since he left the key on ignition for couple of days. And he continued his speech with an smile on his face: my car is not like the normal cars that you have seen, some special procedure needs to be followed if the battery dies. The battery compartment door is electrical and if battery dies you can not access the battery anymore! Someone should growl underneath with a portable battery, and connect the portable battery somewhere to open the electrical door of battery compartment, and then replace the battery!
    The next day I saw him with a 600-700$ bill for battery replacement! And the funny part is he paid the money with an smile on his face and he was so proud of this specicility that his Porsche has, "Battery ompartment door is powered by battery itself!"

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

I don't even want to tell you how much the replacment engine in my Deville cost.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.