single most expensive repair you have ever done - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, single most expensive repair you have ever done in General Discussion; I love it when people give me an opportunity to use this. Many hate it dearly: You could also incur ...
    drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Re: single most expensive repair you have ever done

I love it when people give me an opportunity to use this. Many hate it dearly:

You could also incur a lot of cost and frustration within 5k, no problem. The point is that the shorter the duration, the less likely failure will occur. Personally, I'm with Orconn on this one. I don't feel that's even close to being long enough for a machine to show it's true colors...partly because reliability of a machine is also a function of age. 15-25k miles is barely even two years for many people, based on the average miles-per-year for a typical vehicle (what is it now, 12k?).

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    I love it when people give me an opportunity to use this. Many hate me dearly:
    Fixed.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Ian's trollin'.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    What the hell does how long I own a car have to do with the proven reliability or lack there-of in an environment with heavy abuse by a group that relies on these vehicles on a daily basis? For that matter, how can you or I make valid arguments on any car we don't own? We take the data that others have generated and apply it as necessary. Trust me, you can still incur a LOT of cost and frustration with the wrong car in 30k. I usually respect your opinion, but that post was a little absurd, even for you.
    Frustration perhaps, but cost unlikely given the new car warrantys that the better brands have come with over the last fifteen years. My Alfa came with a 48 month and 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty ion 1992. While nor covered when I bought them, the Sevilles originally came with 4 years and 50k miles. Frustration is one thing, paying for repairs when out of warranty leads to a more extreme for of frustration! If buying used cars with mileage or age past warranty coverage it is quite likely the first owner had many of the vehicles defects under warranty, so the next buyer was left with only nigly repairs till he passed the car on to the next buyer when it was past 100k miles.

Then there is the "guardian angel" effect that some people experience with certain cars, or cars in general. I have never had any major problems with any of the Jaguars that I have owned since my first one, the 1958 XK 150 bought in 1964! Even with the relatively short warranties given on new cars in the 1970's and '80's I never really had other than small things like broken Lucas switches or a rusted expansion tank go wrong with any of them. Cadillacs have also been very good to me over the years. Of course, each car was rotated out of my ownership at the most every three years!

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Frustration perhaps, but cost unlikely given the new car warrantys that the better brands have come with over the last fifteen years. My Alfa came with a 48 month and 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty ion 1992. While nor covered when I bought them, the Sevilles originally came with 4 years and 50k miles. Frustration is one thing, paying for repairs when out of warranty leads to a more extreme for of frustration! If buying used cars with mileage or age past warranty coverage it is quite likely the first owner had many of the vehicles defects under warranty, so the next buyer was left with only nigly repairs till he passed the car on to the next buyer when it was past 100k miles.

Then there is the "guardian angel" effect that some people experience with certain cars, or cars in general. I have never had any major problems with any of the Jaguars that I have owned since my first one, the 1958 XK 150 bought in 1964! Even with the relatively short warranties given on new cars in the 1970's and '80's I never really had other than small things like broken Lucas switches or a rusted expansion tank go wrong with any of them. Cadillacs have also been very good to me over the years. Of course, each car was rotated out of my ownership at the most every three years!
    Like you said, the cost factor depends on when the warranty runs out. In most cases my cars are past the warranty either for time or mileage. Sometimes however, I do purchase an extended warranty, but that's still a cost.

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

I guess I could argue that reliability is defined as, has the car ever left you stranded or if you drive it do you think you will be? I've only had 1 car leave me stranded and it was at 230,000 miles on a 89 Deville that had its water pump seal fail on I-94. Then I had my Chrysler start leaking its coolant from the water pump seal at 75000 miles on I-75 but I made it home before any overheating started.

I've never had my Seville leave us stranded.

justin4yu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood 2door sedan

Yeah nobody wants to know!

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

I've been most fortunate to have vehicles that have been long lived and relatively trouble free. The only car that was ever a pain was the '84 Pontiac Trans Am I bought brand new. I sold it with 20k on the clock, hating every mile.

I put an engine in a 98 Park Avenue, cost me about $5k. Got about 100k from that Jasper replacement before it went. Other than that, all of my rides have been trouble free. I had a 78 LTD that went 300k before expiring. An 80 Fleetwood Brougham that went 330k and a 92 Caprice that went 307k.

trickedcadillac91 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac DeVille 4.9 v8

Full engine swap in my 92 honda accord after catastrophic engine failure when the timing belt broke at the track.

piston meet my friend head

oh and my other friend valve

$1000 and 2 nights of work later ...

toltal i spent $800 on a new engine and $200 on various other little parts such as plugs, fluids, tune up parts .... where at a shop it would have easily run $3000+

I will say I didnt do ALL the work myself I had a good friend helping me so we had the old motor out in roughly an hour then spent a day prepping, cleaning and swapping over accesory parts. After that we took our time reinstalling.

airportwv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2006 2002 SLS AN BMW R1100RT

Ecm $1.300 2006 cts 3.6

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

wow 1300 for a ECM couldnt find a used one ? not covered under warranty ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.