single most expensive repair you have ever done - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, single most expensive repair you have ever done in General Discussion; I had a Porsche dealer quote me $6100 for a new PCM for a 99 Boxster... I was able to ...
    00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Re: single most expensive repair you have ever done

I had a Porsche dealer quote me $6100 for a new PCM for a 99 Boxster... I was able to find a used one on Ebay for $325.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Yeah yeah. I know, I'm the forum cheapskate.

But yeah, low cost of operation is really something you can appreciate at our age where resources are limited and you are trying (hopefully) to establish yourself for an easier/happier road ahead, leading to an early-as-possible retirement. Right now, for me, it's more about needs than wants. Wants will come later down the road.

I can appreciate a nicer/better car just as much as the next guy, but it's nothing important to me at this point in my life. Until my '90 stops serving it's purpose (cheap-to-own transportation), or if my needs change, I will continue to use it.

BTW, what was the steering column rebuilt for. Theft attempt?
    No no, I agree with you. It's just that you're the one who normally sings the praises of easy to operate, and in this thread, I can see why.

Not a theft attempt. Forgive my layman's terms, but the rod that allows the wheel to tilt and lets the key still turn regardless of where the wheel is broke, so I couldn't turn the key but I could still tilt the wheel. I found a 50k mile 9C1 in the junkyard and took the column from it, and one of my dad's friends swapped over all of the pieces in it.

I'm still pissed the most that that 9C1 didn't have its instrument panel or dash board. I wanted that damn dash surround.

Koooop is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Back together? You mean 55k repairs and it was not totaled?!
    And how much your next insurance premium increased after filing such a big claim?
    First off, I meant the great fire of 1997...

Yeah, $55,000 and it certainly should have been totaled. It's a 1969 L48 t-Top (350ci/300hp) car with just a few options. But my Dad bought the car new and at the time of the fire it was in showroom condition with receipts for repairs going back decades and I had just completed a complete and very extensive mechanical restoration ('cept for the Transmission which caused the fire). I used an independent adjuster, he just kicked the snot out of the insurance company.

The claim was comprehensive so my rates didn't go up a Dime.

I'll put up a picture tomorrow, it's nothing more than a real clean old Vette.

Years ago I had a bad BMUU habit, early M cars were so much fun to drive. They cost SO friggin' much to keep on the road. So I bought a Maserati, it cost about 1/3 to keep on the road vs. the BMUU of the day.

This car was a huge mess, it was a task to bring her back from the dead.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    Years ago I had a bad BMUU habit, early M cars were so much fun to drive. They cost SO friggin' much to keep on the road. So I bought a Maserati, it cost about 1/3 to keep on the road vs. the BMUU of the day.
    With the exception of my 745i, my BMW experience has been nothing if not reliable. They're some of the best cars I've owned. Hell, even the 2003 Range Rover I had, which is basically a stretched X5 with an air suspension was well behaved outside of little things.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    With the exception of my 745i, my BMW experience has been nothing if not reliable. They're some of the best cars I've owned. Hell, even the 2003 Range Rover I had, which is basically a stretched X5 with an air suspension was well behaved outside of little things.
    See my whole problem with German cars is even if they are reliable, when that one random sensor or whatever goes bad, bam, $500 minimum repair bill.

I know Chad mentioned the blower motor on his 99 S-class going out and costing $1100 to fix. The one on my 91 Brougham went bad as well. I went down to NAPA, walked out with my part minus $20. The blower motor sits right up on top of the cowl next the windshield. Took 15 minutes for me to unbolt a few bolts and put in a new one.

Just something about ANY car once it reaches past the age of 10 years it might require some sort of small repairs, no matter how well maintained or the miles. Just something about German parts and labor being 55 times more expensive like the example I gave is the SINGLE reason I won't own any newer German car. Although I really would like something more basic like Rick's E30 BMW

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Oh yeah, Rick. Havent heard from him since I talked to him in December

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    See my whole problem with German cars is even if they are reliable, when that one random sensor or whatever goes bad, bam, $500 minimum repair bill.

I know Chad mentioned the blower motor on his 99 S-class going out and costing $1100 to fix. The one on my 91 Brougham went bad as well. I went down to NAPA, walked out with my part minus $20. The blower motor sits right up on top of the cowl next the windshield. Took 15 minutes for me to unbolt a few bolts and put in a new one.

Just something about ANY car once it reaches past the age of 10 years it might require some sort of small repairs, no matter how well maintained or the miles. Just something about German parts and labor being 55 times more expensive like the example I gave is the SINGLE reason I won't own any newer German car. Although I really would like something more basic like Rick's E30 BMW
    That's the difference between MB and BMW, or at least it WAS until the major changes began in the newest models. Parts for the E30, E36 and E46 3 Series and all the 5 Series up to the E39 are dirt cheap and in fact in some cases were cheaper than equivalent Cadillac parts. Even the E38 7 isn't nearly as bad as the W140 S Class.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Quote Originally Posted by 00 Deville View Post
    I had a Porsche dealer quote me $6100 for a new PCM for a 99 Boxster... I was able to find a used one on Ebay for $325.
    That reminds me... Heres an 'expensive' fix:

The vacuum-fluorescent display in my '90

GM price: $1750.

$53 on Ebay

Took about 10 min to R&R but probably would have been an hour book time in a shop. Add on whatever profit they would want to make off the part and I'd guess about $2000 out the door. Man, I am in the wrong business.....

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Perhaps it is that you do not own any car long enough to experience the problems many of have.

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

Everybody will have their unique experience with their own particular car. The definition of "reliable" can vary from person to person, some think anything more than scheduled oil changes is unreliable, others come to expect a certain level of necessary repairs and plan accordingly. The reality though is no German car is particularly reliable in respect to what Americans have come to consider "reliable" since the introduction of later model Japanese cars. Not saying that German cars shouldn't be reliable, but their engineering philosophy is different, and that benefit is seen in the unique driving experience over other brands. Additionally as the more complex a car becomes, the chance of something failing also rises, hence the complaints on all car forums of all brands about problems and debatable reliability. Reliability is somewhat relative and one's level of tolerance is personal. My car puts a huge smile on my face every single time I get in it and that's well worth the cost of ownership for me. Luckily aside from the battery going bad (which was mostly my fault from not keeping it on a tender last winter) and my mechatronics sealing sleeve leaking (fixed under warranty), I haven't had any other problems in close to two years now, and I will continue to stick to German cars until I can afford Italian

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Perhaps it is that you do not own any car long enough to experience the problems many of have.
    I've owned most of these cars 15-25,000 miles. I've had some cars that have been horrible in that time frame, and others that have been flawless. With as many as I've had, I consider that more than sufficient timing to give a car a real test.

I also tend to buy my used cars with significant numbers of miles already on them with a few exceptions, I also usually obtain service histories so I have some idea about how the car had behaved if it had been my own. The Range Rover for example already had 86k on it when I bought it in 2008 and was no more troublesome for the original owner than it was for me.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

I've owned most of these cars 15-25,000 miles... I consider that more than sufficient timing to give a car a real test.

Then wtf were we arguing about Vic vs Impala reliability for? If true reliability can be determined in as little as 15k miles, the Impala is definitely every bit as reliable as the Vic. Hell, they could be successfully enforcing the law using Sebrings!

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post

Then wtf were we arguing about Vic vs Impala reliability for? If true reliability can be determined in as little as 15k miles, the Impala is definitely every bit as reliable as the Vic. Hell, they could be successfully enforcing the law using Sebrings!
    What the hell does how long I own a car have to do with the proven reliability or lack there-of in an environment with heavy abuse by a group that relies on these vehicles on a daily basis? For that matter, how can you or I make valid arguments on any car we don't own? We take the data that others have generated and apply it as necessary. Trust me, you can still incur a LOT of cost and frustration with the wrong car in 30k. I usually respect your opinion, but that post was a little absurd, even for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.